Wanted

• Thread starter TonyNY
  • Start date
  • Replies 85
  • Views 15K
I dunno Willard .An 066 or 084 is not a week end warrier saw .
Well Al my outboard clutch Husky 395XP puts out more then my 066 Magnum and my outboard clutch Stihl 090AV is more heavy duty then the 084.
The big Macs and Homies you have run are no slouchs either.

Well Al my outboard clutch Husky 395XP puts out more then my 066 Magnum and my outboard clutch Stihl 090AV is more heavy duty then the 084.
The big Macs and Homies you have run are no slouchs either.
One more I forgot the hot rod MS200 has a outboard clutch and its little brother the 019/192 has a inboard clutch.

Most little trim saws even the old ones used an outboard .

I'll have to say this though ,the older larger saws with an outboard are a darn sight easier to remove the clutch than most inboards .I had to put a black iron socket in the lathe and cut the champer off so as to gain enough purchase to remove the clutch from some of the Stihls .Why in the world they put that puny little short nut head on that thing I'll never know .Someone had their heads dead in their ass when they designed those things ,geeze .

Well the company has tried to make that so but good old Yankee ingenuity has fouled their plans if only for little bit .Guys like me would figure out to fix the things if we had to make all the tools of which by Gawd I have .They don't have a German engineer born who could out smart this old hillbilly .:lol:

I just changed the plug wires on a 96 Buick Century 4 cylinder. It shouldn't get much easier than that, right? WRONG!! The flat wire clamp on the top of the engine was hard to get unclipped. The one on the back of the engine I couldn't get without seesawing it up where I could see. The distributor? block is on the back of the engine. Can't see it from underneath. Can't see it from up top. Braille. Round flex tubing protector has a clamp down under too. Snake it up to unclamp. Fish for wires to trace. Over an hour of PIA work. Few little nicks and scratches. Glad I am not a mechanic.

My favorite was our Nissan (93? maybe) with the 6 cyl. Plugs were down below and in the middle the intake manifold... Friggen sucked to get them in and out lined up right:X
Rob sold it to a Mexican that was gonna fix it up after it took a deer hit.. Better him than me :lol:

The ..what is it called, six point limbing method or something, I think Stig posted a vid, perhaps? Probably most people use at least a part of that system. The bar closer in would seem to have advantages when rolling the saw.

The ..what is it called, six point limbing method or something, I think Stig posted a vid, perhaps? Probably most people use at least a part of that system. The bar closer in would seem to have advantages when rolling the saw.
That's right Jay a b/c closer to the center of the powerhead rolls better with precision while cutting. I measured the distance of the bar from the crankcase center gasket on the 272 and its 2". On the 372 the bar is 2 3/4" from the center crankcase gasket.
3/4" might not sound like much but in a short distance of under 3" the 272's b/c is centered about a third closer then the 372. Big difference as I hold both saws.

I actually brought up about the 6 point limbing technique here on TH when we had the old site. Only Stig and Bermie claimed to have had training in it. I have owned the old Stihl VCR training library videos since the mid 1980s. The video Sqwerl and Butch down loaded and posted on here for me was called "Limbing Techniques For The Professional Cutter " featuring Soren Eriksson. Maybe we can get it posted here again. Very cool savvy saw handling video.

Interesting note about that video was it was made by Stihl in 1985 when they hired Soren Eriksson to be their North American training consultant. In the video Soren was using the new inboard clutch Stihl 034AV which Stihl introduced a year earlier.
Not long after Soren jumped ship over to Husqvarna.
Must have been the poor handling inboard Stihls that got his goat:lol:

You think the 034 wasn't a good saw?

That's strange, they were a popular saw here and still sell second hand for a good price. I still have two, never had a problem with them. One is an 034 AVS same power as a 361 I was told.

I think the 034 was a good saw...very reliable, but if you drop an 036 p and c into it, then do some mods, it becomes a ....what's the next word past fantastic? Tremendous torque for that sized engine. The 034 was lighter than the earlier 028, also a good saw.

I'm not saying the 034 Stihl wasn't a good saw. It may be good for someone who works by the hour pay but not on piecework rate.
I bought one of the very first ones in 1984 when I was logging. The "new to the world" at the time, chain side tensioner was quite the hit. But it was a toy compared to my Jonsered 630 in power as the other pulpcutters also said. I only used the 034 in the smallest of timber, which no logger wants to be working in.
Even when the 034 Super came out later with 61 cc to match the 61cc Jonsered 630 it was still underpowered.
I had to wait until 1986 for a "good Stihl... " the 064 AV. Then for a saw to match the Husky 266-268 /Jonsered 630-670 I had to wait alot longer for the 044 in 1989.

Willard is right on this one.
The slenderest saw, with the smallest distance from center to bar will work best for fast limbing of small size conifers.
Those of you who remember what Jonsered and Partner saws where shaped like in the 70es, will understand why Stihl and Husky were the preferred ones for those of us who cut pulp.

Wow, I missed alot of good info down here in the Trading Post. I'd like to see that vid on limbing. I rememember this Eric Sorenson but never seen him in person but was always going to buy his book . Is it basically the same techniques that the Arbor Masters taught back in the day by a fellow named Tim ??? . I forgot his last name. Interesting stuff.

Wow, I missed alot of good info down here in the Trading Post. I'd like to see that vid on limbing. I rememember this Eric Sorenson but never seen him in person but was always going to buy his book . Is it basically the same techniques that the Arbor Masters taught back in the day by a fellow named Tim ??? . I forgot his last name. Interesting stuff.
To see the video just google "Limbing Techniques For The Professional Cutter" Soren Eriksson.
Soren was one of if not the sole founder of "Game Of Logging". When I first trained to footlock climb dynamic and static it was in the year 2000 by ArborMaster Training Canada. In the USA they were a sister company called ArborMaster Training Inc. Both companies have been around since about 1996. Tim Ard came sometime later working alongside with Soren Eriksson with the GOL.

Well, maybe the 036 was a good engine then, you just have to stick it onto an 034 case. I do recall the 034 being rather mundane until i swapped it out. Never tried, but my bet is that it would out torque a Jonsered or anything else of equivalent size. Only strong people should use one. Wide open muffler will do ear damage too.

Thanks for the info on the vid. It is still there but I couldn't get it to play. I'll try again later. I see I had Mr. Eriksson's name backwards. Sorry about that, for some reason it sounds better the other way. Must be because I'm not Scandinavian.

60cc saws like the Husky 162,262XP, 365xp. Jonsered 630 are on top for proven power and reliability.
Now the Husky 560XP and 562XP look like the next promise to take over.

I had an 034 with a 036 top .From what little I used it the thing seemed fine to me for 60 cc .

One of Dean ( washington hotsaws ) machines made it east to one of our GTG's .I think all he did was lower the jug but I really don't know other than my observance of how it ran .That thing had amazing grunt for its' size .

From what I see if you compare the IPLs is by adding the 036 top you basically turn it into an 036 .

A couple years ago I worked on a pair of J-reds for a guy and one was a 630 .The thing was a good runner but in my opinion while it way have had a leg up on say an 038 AV or an 036 it wasn't by much .

On that though in all these years I've only wrenched on 3 J-reds ,2 60 cc and one 3 cuber ,525 or something like that .I'll have to say they were all good runners .

Dean is the guy who inspired me to put the 036 top onto the 034 and then mod it. I believe the one that he used to write about was ported as well, Al, and my recollection is that he referred to it as a "beast". It might very well be the same saw that you observed. He also advised putting a larger carb on to maximize the potential, something I have always wanted to do. Linkage problems have to be overcome. Wonder if Dean is still working on saws?

Long ago when I ran that little 034 I modded it to get more speed, but having a Frenchmen on my back running a skidder like Mario Andretti looking for more wood, I had no choice but to run the bigger saw.
I have heard lots of good reports of the MS361.

Dean has had some serious health problems as I recall .I had conversed with him on the phone some years back but can't remember exactly what they were .Not that it's makes any difference because whatever it was is his business .

Whatever he did to that thing it was tough to pull over so I just assumed he didn't raise it up too much .I didn't really disect the thing but noticed he had a K and N filter which if he had changed the carb would explain that rather than trying to retrofit a standard Stihl filter beings they are such a pain in the behind to refit to anything except the model they were designed for .

Actually I'm not for certain it was any faster than a souped 038 AV but it was pounds lighter which made a hot little light weight with a ton of go get-em .Whatever ,he built a neat little saw on that one .:)

Back