Wanted

• Thread starter TonyNY
  • Start date
  • Replies 85
  • Views 15K
Anti vibe chain, is that where the drive links extend up to alongside the rakers, or is that safety chain? That isn't new, so you must be referring to something else.
The anti vibe chain made by Oregon and Stihl has only been around for about 8 yrs. Like Kevin says Stihl calls it "Comfort" and oregon has it on their LPX and LGX. Look at a Oregon sawchain's cutter and you will see a funny looking arrow between the heel and toe's rivets . That is telling you it has anti vibe design. What Stihl and Oregon did was they took a little material off from under the heel of the cutter so the cutter tips back a little , just this little modification from the old style even heel and toe design reduces vibration when in the kerf.

I agree with Willard that the spring AV mounts do give less precise handling...it took me a little time to get with it on my 361. But a bit more attention to the kerf on my part seems to be enough for me to keep on top of it.

Worth it for the much lower vibration transmitted to and through the handles, imo.
When Stihl Canada hired me in the summer of 1989 spring anti vibe mounts were the joke in the office, because our competition Husqvarna introduced their 262XP with spring anti vibe mounts [the air injection was also a joke too, knowing that if not blocked off in winter the saw would suck in snow] Our 044 with their rubber mounts were the proven way to go for precision cutting for the professional end user. But the 044 was a nightmare with carb icing up problems in cold climates and the Husqvarnas kept running. Now years later Stihl has spring anti vibe and air injection. Only took almost 20 years to catch on.

I used to use a little Stihl 09 top handle with no anti vibration for the final detail in my carvings. In chainsaw speed cutting competitions I went as far as replacing the saw's rubber mounts with homemade solid alumimun mounts. Accuracy in the 3 cuts spacing was improved.
Madsens used to sell a foam grip to slide over a saws top handle. The stuff was indestructable and took away alot of vibration .

I have to add when Husky introduced the spring anti vibe and air injection on their 262XP in 1989, the 268-272XPs kept the rubber mounts and no air injection right up into the mid 1990s.....[ What I figured they did to keep their loyal pro market.]
But the odd thing they did was in 1991 they put spring mounts and air injection on the 394XP.

rubber mounts and no air injection right up into the mid 1990s.....[ What I figured they did to keep their loyal pro market.]

When they switched those models up is when I switched to Stihl. It was not a smooth transition imo and those first 3 series had issues. I ran up what I had left of the old(er) Huskys and than made the switch and have never looked back.

When they switched those models up is when I switched to Stihl. It was not a smooth transition imo and those first 3 series had issues.
Are you talking about the 371XP upgrade ?
When you switched to Stihl you were probably sold on the side chain tensioner and quick air filter access. Alot of loggers and pulpcutters switched to Stihl for those 2 reasons starting way back in 1984 with the introduction of the 034AV, 064 and 084AV in 1986 and the 044 in 1988.

Willard, thanks for the information. I have seen that arrow that you are referring to, always wondered what it was about. Is that anti vibe chain considered safety chain? Not a big fan of safety chain myself, an aggressive cutter is my cup of tea, probably as with most folks here.

Are you talking about the 371XP upgrade ?
When you switched to Stihl you were probably sold on the side chain tensioner and quick air filter access. Alot of loggers and pulpcutters switched to Stihl for those 2 reasons starting way back in 1984 with the introduction of the 034AV, 064 and 084AV in 1986 and the 044 in 1988.

I switched later than that, mid 90's sometime I believe. If memory serves it was when the 272 was changed up to a 372 I thought? One of the issues they had was those clips for the toolless air filter access were breaking like it was going out of style. Minor I know, but a real nuisance.

Willard, thanks for the information. I have seen that arrow that you are referring to, always wondered what it was about. Is that anti vibe chain considered safety chain? Not a big fan of safety chain myself, an aggressive cutter is my cup of tea, probably as with most folks here.

Your probably running the anti vibe chain since it has come out and dont realize it. No it's not safety chain thing.

Remember when stihl had PM picco, RS RM chain and then it was PMC RSC RMC anti vibe chain. You just didnt know it and it sure cuts the same to me when comparing RS to RSC. I even compared RSK and besides the raker being like the old way I couldnt tell a difference.

I think that they may have also made the anti vibe chain in a safety configuration, where the drive links extend up next to the rakers.

I think that they may have also made the anti vibe chain in a safety configuration, where the drive links extend up next to the rakers.
Yes Stihl makes the RSC3 3/8 chisel with the safety deflective ramp on top of the drive link alongside the depth gauge which also has a safety deflective ramp on the front of it. Stihl has introduced this design only recently, Oregon's LP now LPX [RSC3 equivelent] was introduced in the 1970s.

Stihl once put a ramp on top of the side link directly in front of the cutters depth gauge in the 1980s. But when the cutter was in the upper quaderant of the "kick back zone" of the bar nose, the flat verticle depth gauge was exposed to kickback energy because it was no longer protected by the ramp. Upon meeting Hans Peter Stihl I questioned him about this and his answer was "the safety ramp on the RS chain's sidelink was only an optical illusion". Upon returning to my logging job I told our safety committee this and that style of Stihl chain was banned from our work place. Only the Oregon LP, LG and Stihl 33 Topic Super [now extinct] could be used.
Stihl discontinued that style of chain in the mid 1990s and the RS chain now has the ramp on the depth gauge like Oregon's LGX. Stihl does make the RSK [Klassic] which has no safety kickback deflective features what so ever. Oregon does not.

If you want a durable, smooth, fast cutting low kickback chain in 3/8 chisel try the Oregon 72-73-75 Vanguard. I had a loop on my 372 the other day and accidentily cut into a 1/2" steel ready rod that bolt braced a tree together which had grown over the nuts. The Vanguard's heavy bent over depth gauge design helped protect the cutting edge and little damage was done.

I switched later than that, mid 90's sometime I believe. If memory serves it was when the 272 was changed up to a 372 I thought? One of the issues they had was those clips for the toolless air filter access were breaking like it was going out of style. Minor I know, but a real nuisance.
According to an old Madsen's spring 1997 catalog I have the 371XP was just introduced, so its safe to say 1996 was the year that it came out. The 372 came later.

According to an old Madsen's spring 1997 catalog I have the 371XP was just introduced, so its safe to say 1996 was the year that it came out. The 372 came later.

Cool, so it was the 371 that replaced the 272 or did they overlap? Just using your keen memory to help my foggy one. Heh I am from BC.

Your info is always appreciated.

Cool, so it was the 371 that replaced the 272 or did they overlap? Just using your keen memory to help my foggy one. Heh I am from BC.

Your info is always appreciated.
I can't say for sure, I was once a hard core Stihl man and only switched to Husky a few years ago. The Huskies of the 1990s are a little bit of a mystery to me. With this never used 272XP I'll see what I missed back then.
Still waiting for the new Husqvarna bar so I can post pics of it.
I swear freight is still delivered by dogsled up here:lol:

I can't say for sure, I was once a hard core Stihl man and only switched to Husky a few years ago. The Huskies of the 1990s are a little bit of a mystery to me. With this never used 272XP I'll see what I missed back then.
Still waiting for the new Husqvarna bar so I can post pics of it.
I swear freight is still delivered by dogsled up here:lol:
Well here it is guys ,my 1993 Husqvarna 272XP that has never cut a stick of wood.What kind of saw geeks photo would this be without the wife's best table doily.:D
This saw is too valuable to keep on a shelf, so I'm putting it to work.
I put a 8 pin 3/8 rim on it with 16" b/c. This saw will put my 346XP in retirement seeing I always thought it was a toy anyways. This 272 will be my heavy duty cleanup, blocking and limbing saw. When the MS200 is too slow in aerial work the 272 will take over.
I got rid of the dual dogs and installed the lightweight aluminum smooth bumper. Saves about a 1/2 lb of weight here, plus there is a heavy weight in the chainbrake lever which I'll remove and save some more weight . This should bring the weight down below my 372XP.
The 272 powerhead is a 1 1/2" shorter, 1" narrower and 3/4" lower then the 372. The stiffer AV rubber mounts will offer a little more precision cutting also.
I'll start a thread later comparing the 272-16" and 372-22" in my saw work fleet.

Attachments

• SDC10686.JPG
    SDC10686.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 57
  • SDC10687.JPG
    SDC10687.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 55
Watch the pocket watch going right to left....left to right...you are getting tired...your eyes are getting heavy...so tired. Now, you will follow my commands....you will give that saw to me. :lol:

Watch the pocket watch going right to left....left to right...you are getting tired...your eyes are getting heavy...so tired. Now, you will follow my commands....you will give that saw to me. :lol:
Haha...almost worked Jay. I really hate to get this saw scratched up and dirty, but I can't wait to use it. I can't see the rubber mounts being a vibration issue because Stihl still uses them in some of their pro saws.
I remember years back and maybe they still sell them where Husqvarna/Jonsered sold 2 type of mounts firm and soft. Its just easy to be spoiled being used to the newer spring av mounts we have today.
I didn't get the best pics of the saw, rainy and dark here so only did a low quality flash shot.

16" isn't much bar for 68ccs. It should rip for the purposes that you mentioned. A 20-24" bar would probably make a decent felling saw for small-mid sized trees as well. My 59cc Husky works pretty well in that capacity, being souped up.

16" isn't much bar for 68ccs. It should rip for the purposes that you mentioned. A 20-24" bar would probably make a decent felling saw for small-mid sized trees as well.
I still haven't put the 272XP into the wood yet, maybe tomorrow. Will be doing a job on a nice lakeshore, perfect spot to get some decent pics of it before it looses its cherry:lol:
Jay the 272XP has 72.2 cc, 13.7 lbs, 5.2 hp.
The 372XP has 70.7 cc, 13.4 lbs, 5.3 hp.
I'm running a 22" b/c on my 372. 16" on the 272 because of it's compact powerhead size compared to the 372. As my picture below shows the 272 has the outboard clutch which is the best design for limbing and balance. The 372 has the inboard clutch. The 272 is a inch narrower and a inch and a half shorter overall.
We all know the 346XP is the ultimate limbing saw because of its size and outboard clutch but when put to bucking up a log it doesn't cut it what the 272 can do.
I now see why Husqvarna still makes the 272XP in South America alongside the 372XP. Loggers have a choice of 2 different designs.The 268/272 has a very good track record. SDC10696.JPG

Willard, what makes you say the outboard clutch is better for limbing? Do you think that there is an added degree of comfort of maneuverability with the bar being closer to the powerhead?

I don't get the idea of that either .In my way of thinking the in board makes it more simple to change rims and in fact to change the chain .It would make sense however that with the chain closer to the crankshaft main bearing on an outboard would be less stressfull to the assembley .

Now on that Stihl uses a radiused transition from the stub end of the crankshaft to the throws on the crank which from a design standpoint is stronger than a straight shoulder .It also entails a special bearing which the company is very proud of cost wise .

Yes with the b/c closer to the center of the saw and the weight of the clutch assembly on the outside the saw is better balanced . Not only for limbing but for general cutting as well, but most noticabily in limbing. Heat from the clutch is not absorbed into the crankcase as well. On long bars I find its easier to install the chain with the outboard because the drum helps hold the bar on the studs while rolling the chain on.
I have never had to take a powerhead off a b/c while its stuck in a pinched kerf of a tree so that argument is not valid with me.
Yes the removal of sprocket rims on a inboard clutch may be attractive ,but I think that is more for the advantage of a weekend cutter or saw mechanic.

Back