Tulip tree murder

a full book can be written about how to recognize lightening strike damage in a tree. Let alone how it's going to affect what we do.

Damn Murph you know that! Give the man a break!

Ha I once disassembled a soft maple that had gotten three lightning strikes,burned the inside out of it .All the small limbs were curled up like a pigs tail .:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
inside Tulip 2.jpg inside Tulip.jpg Tulip back stem.jpg

Here are some pics of the damage. The stem was like that for around 20 feet. The owner told me about the strike. So I made my presumptions that this is what the lightening did. {Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks :)

You know what, I'm gonna jump in here too now. I priced that job, Ben is my lead climber (and a good one too) and I spoke to the client about the lightning strike. Sooo, Mr Murphy I'm still unsure how you can make such sweeping statements without even seeing the tree, talking to the client or without taking your head outta your arse. I've NEVER slagged off anyone on this site....but you, mate............

Tucker, 1 load of chip, 3 loads of wood!

Were you loading from the mini into your chip body, or a different truck?

I am curious how well a crew can manage with a mini and chip body, as I don't have a flatbed dump which can be loaded from the side. I'm running an 11' southco chip body, and a 2500 pound payload trailer, currently, and use a knuckleboom flatbed hauling service. I'd like to get a mini in the future.

You know what, I'm gonna jump in here too now. I priced that job, Ben is my lead climber (and a good one too) and I spoke to the client about the lightning strike. Sooo, Mr Murphy I'm still unsure how you can make such sweeping statements without even seeing the tree, talking to the client or without taking your head outta your arse. I've NEVER slagged off anyone on this site....but you, mate............
Did you give him a raise after he showed you how good he was at fence repair? LOL

Man, you really don't like it here, do you?

Then why not simply stay the hell away?

don't get your panties in a twist there fellas..
If you don't like the way a thread is headed, then turn it around..
Learn something... for example..
How could he have cut that tree to clear the fence?

yawn.jpg

Well, I just read the mini notches thread haha. One post I will paste here from Murphy is "It was 1/2" true blue... never had a problem with it before...Defintely should have taken the cut in two, and I was still surprised...

Large oak limb.. one thing is I was using a big shackle insteard of the rigging block...I was planning on dumping the top and figures I save a trip back up there to untie the block and sling, by using a big shckle, which I didn;t mind bombing with the top... The bell on that shackle is at least 1.5"... So that created quite a bit more bend in the line.. Looks like it broke at the shackle...

Also I was using a near balance point tie off with the piece leaning away from the shackle, and was expeting it to swing the piece to the side as it moved through its arc... That could have created a leveraged situation.. Seems like the piece was still on the hinge when the rope failed. There was some talk about that possible force multiplier effect in the near balance point riggin thread... Piece might have weighed 700-800... just a guess...

Groundie reminded me this morning that he called me greedy, and I assured him "it'll be alright"... If he had just said, .."take that in two", I might have as I usually listen to him. Fine line there though in teamwork and communication.

Took out the service lines and Fios lines.. Managed to get the service lines back up... Got some video of the tree, but ran out of tape.. Customer recorded the cut at my request on her phone.. I thougt it would look cool. gotta watch those expectations..

Rope was getting kind of old too... some glazing.. no nicks though.. I should probably switch out lowering lines more often... Many lessons learned... "

Asshat

Its great that we, the honest and free, can all have a laugh about all of this. On the other hand its pretty sad that there is one odd one out, who just can't accept that it doesn't really matter.

I have also been lucky in working with Reg Coates for numerous years since i first started, he is a great tree guy.

Lucky you. Reg is coming into town today and is supposed to call me to meet for grub, libations and banter tonite or tomorrow! His wife is along, otherwise he could come to work. I need pointers......even as my walker is being designed and built, I still need to learn how to do this job better. And since ole murph is on the left coast.........

Back