Things that go bump in the night!

Dang Stig! Sounds like a rough time. Hope you feel better soon. Better check into one of those stair lifts. Fun now. Necessary later.

Stair lift eh? I don't think I could do that if I made my living climbing trees. I'd rather burn the house down and put up a yurt or something.

That’s quite a trip Stig. And to think they say our job is dangerous......

Ive broken 3 bones in the last two years including tib and fib. Can’t recommend it really, but you do heal up. Just needs time and patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update on this shit:

Looks like I got incredibly lucky with my head injuries.
I went for a test and they could find nothing wrong with my old brain.
But then it wasn't too good to start with, probably.
They'd been worried about partial aphasia since the intercranial bleeding was situated right on top of the language center.
But I gab as good as ever, whether orally or in writing.

My right hand is frigged up.
First 3 fingers have no feeling at all and are still, after 7 weeks, swollen.
I can almost bend them all way now, but my wife can prick them with a needle and I can't feel nothing.
Makes doing stuff difficult. I keep dropping things because I can't feel whether I'm holding on to them or not.
So I have learned not to carry cups or plates with my right hand, because it really makes a mess.

Had a scan and a nerve conduction test made, result is, the nerves are intact, but don't function.
They called from the hospital today and said, because there is no obvious place, where the nerves are damaged, bruised or squeezed by scar tissue, they'll give it another 2 months and see what happens.

So, I'm just squeezing my little jelly ball, and trying to get my fingers to work again.

That pretty much sucks, but at least I didn't kick the bucket.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about asking yesterday, but didn't get to it.

I’m happy to hear it’s not as bad as it could’ve been.
Are you going to be able to run a saw and teach apprentices again?

Time will tell.
But then I've done the Phoenix thing before and risen from the ashes.

So, I've not lost hope yet.

Thank you for the update, Stig.

I was just thinking yesterday that under your travel plans, you'd have been arriving here in the next few days or so.

So glad you are continuing to improve...the time it takes to heal can be so frustrating though!

For what it's worth...is there any chance your numb fingers could also be a linked to neck trauma? When I had a C5-6 problem the thumb and first finger on my right hand, and the back of my hand and forearm went numb.
You took an awful spill, maybe your neck is wonky??? I'm sure you are getting great treatment, just thought I'd throw it out there....as we all know we are tree surgeons, not people surgeons 😁

Of course the doctors didn't, Stephen. Not at all likely that a spill like our good friend Stig took would provide improvement there...
:P;):D

All my common sense likely ran out of my ear, along with all the blood, Stephen.
Not that there was much in there to begin with :lol:
Fiona, I have my neck checked and reset by my chiropractor, it was severely out of whack.

Nerve damage in my fingers should simply come from the nerve being severely bruised.
They say it might take up to a year before I get to feel my gingers again.

Good thing I'm not a piano player or a surgeon or something like that.

Stig, nerves can be slow to get back to normal. I had surgery on both arms and hands in the fall of 2018. Pretty significant loss of function and feeling due to entrapment along with muscle wasting. Much of the improvement in muscle tone, feeling and function has come this year.

If the nerve impingement was related to the neck (nerve root compression and/or *thoracic outlet syndrome), the nerve conduction test (electromyography) would have shown that.

*Thoracic outlet syndrome occurs when blood vessels or nerves in the space between your collarbone and your first rib (thoracic outlet) are compressed causing numbness in your fingers.

Hope with time you’ll get full function and sensation back!

Particularly for a clumsy old fellow like myself.

Gotta say, though, my usual approach has worked fine.
Do as much research on the problem as possible, ask reasonably intelligent questions and the doctors will be more than happy to keep one in the loop.

Getting the same story from first the two docs , who did the scan and the one who did the electromyography was nice.

I'm slowly getting better, but I really have to watch those fingers.
Made pizza a couple of days ago, and the mail order bride was saying: " Wath that melted cheese" as we ate.
I couldn't figure why, untill it hit the finger that can still feel stuff.
Hot melted cheese all over the 3 dead fingers,I couldn't feel a thing.

Great, sounds like you have all the bases covered, and yes very interesting when our nurses chime in with proper medical stuff, I learned something there!
Mmm, cheese fingers, yeah not sure that was the correct interpretation of the menu order...

Back