Bridge collapse in Baltimore

This is a big deal for east coast shipping. Chinese ship, go figure.
So, because it was Chinese, they did it on purpose or something?
Even for a troll, you are just too weird sometimes "Bob".

I interpreted it more as inferiority of Chinese products. Products that fail and are unreliable kinda thing. China wouldn’t disrupt our importing capacity as it would hamper bringing their inferior wares to our shores.

What upsets me is the “president” said the federal government was going to pay for this mishap. Bullsh$t! That ship has insurance and came from another country. They better pay for this, not us! They can pay liquidated damages as well. We better be seeing billions coming in ASAP!

Yeaaaah I’m not so sure anything coming in quickly be happening anytime soon a few to several years from now possibly.

Some background on both of the fine gentlemen in the video I posted, for those unaware.

Ward Carrol was an F14 Tomcat WSO, among other things, also an author and proper journalist, among other things.

The other guy I affectionately refer to as "DoctorCaptain Sal". Sal Mercogliano holds a PhD and teaches Maritime and Naval History for Campbell College. He is also the Captain of his local volunteer fire department. Hence my funny title. He was a merchant mariner for some time, and since the Evergiven got stuck in the Suez Canal three years ago, has lent his expertise to the world through his youtube channel What's Going On With Shipping.

While I'm subscribed to both you tube channels, I watch everything Sal puts out. International shipping is more pivotal to our quality of life in our globalized environment, than most people ever understand.

Now, after heaping praise on my favored experts, I shall join the baseless conjecture with my context as a sawyer in Northern Arizona.

Human error, possibly panic.

Almost 50 years to the day a similar accident happened in Hobart. The Tasman bridge was struck by a ship and collapsed. Lives were lost.
To this day, traffic is stopped from crossing the bridge when a ship is going under it.

From here, the chat sounds like your Federal Government will stump up the initial money to get the debris cleared the port open and maybe start the reconstruction, then be reimbursed by the insurer.
Not a full blown Gov't underwriting of the repair, stumping up the injection of $$$ get stuff happening as soon as possible, because we ALL know how long insurance claims can take.
Some of you lot need to breathe, get some O2 circulating around your brain cells.

Our two biggest bridges have a system that monitors incoming ships from far away and register irregular sailing patterns
The standby interception crew then goes out.
We have a LOT of Russian ships with drunk pilots.
'Bout 5 years ago, they boarded and stopped one at the Storebæltbro. Found the pilot passed out at the wheel.
From vodka.

Back