Things that go bump in the night!

That's nuts man, glad you are ok-ish! Wish you a speedy recovery, and i wish i had something witty to say, but I'm lacking at the moment.... maybe vegetables don't need to be stalked at night? A grow light doesn't scare them off? Perhaps stop sleepwalking to grab a midnight burger or sleep cook bacon? Anyways, glad you bounce better than a tomato. :D. Seriously tho, take it easy my friend.

Holy shat... could’ve been worse though, eh?
Is the hearing loss permanent?

This really blows man, I hope you heal up fast.

I wanna touch on a sensitive subject, not directed at you personally Stig. Everyone that could possibly hit their head should know this. There’s been some pretty solid links drawn between concussions, skull fractures, and other traumatic brain injuries and suicides. Ib the 6 months following a head injury, folks are at a much greater risk of committing suicide or making a serious attempt. One of the more thorough studies that spanned a couple decades is from Denmark too.

Last summer there was a GoFundMe fundraiser to help with medical bills for a climber that fell and got a concussion, L spine injury and broken ribs. Not permanently paralyzed, probably had some chronic pain issues, but otherwise seemed to be healing up ok. Then one day a couple months later he shot himself in the head and died. His fiancée sounded like this was completely out of character for him and he showed no warning signs that sometimes show in depressed people before an attempt. He was wearing a helmet and it broke on impact. Under 30 years old, supposed to get married soon, ISA certified arborist and I think he won a couple tree climbing competitions. Really tragic how that went from bad to worse. I’d never heard of that connection before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Christ Stig. You sure know how to push the envelope. Hope ya heal up ok. Maybe some motion sensor lights at the steps would help.

When I built the staircase some 15 years ago, I had an electrical outlet put in at the top for exactly that purpose.
Never got around to installing it.
It'll be my first project when I'm back to 2 hands.

Do you think I feel stupid, or what?

Feeling WAY better today.
A couple of the companies we sub for and forests we log for have offered to help with the apprentice, so Richard dosn't have to step out of the feller buncher.

Heartwarming, really.

“Do you think I feel stupid, or what?”

You shouldn’t, chit happens. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, look forward not backwards. Ya have bigger things to deal with than a light at the moment. Maybe the wife should put a cow bell on ya so as to monitor your whereabouts. ;)

8 years ago I fell out of a tree and broke 6 ribs, 10 days in hospital.

Upon my return I asked my wife to swap sides of the bed, as I could only sleep on my right side and needed to face outwards.

Second or third night she got up a bit disoriented and walked/clambered out of a first floor window (it’s an old house where the bedroom is an old hayloft) shattered 3 vertebrae, heavy stuff 8 days lying horizontal, risky operation, but full recovery.

Anyway, moral of the story, slips and trips are a major source of life changing injuries, and stairs are lethal.

My wife’s work colleague’s brother brought his girlfriend round the parents house for the first time to stay.
They had a few drinks and all went to bed, she gets up in the night, not knowing where she is, tumbles down the staircase, breaks her neck and DIES!

On a lighter note...
A bloke I drank with back in the UK, army (infantry I think) best described as a rough diamond.

Visited his girlfriend’s parents house for the first time, they all have a few drinks, get on famously, eventually they all go to bed.

He does that thing where he gets up for a piss still mostly asleep, wanders round for a bit then get woken up by the screaming of his girlfriend’s mother who is rather discombobulated to wake up to find him firing hot piss into her face as she lay asleep in bed.

Last edited:
Gotta say - holy sh!t. Just come out the other side eventually ok, ok?

Aside story, I hit a moose on my bike doing 110kph about 25-ish years ago now. I got on the brakes and saw the speedo drop from 130 before "smack". Broke my hand, sprained and a bit of break in other hand some bumps and bruises lost a bit of skin. So I'm limping down the street in the small town the next day both hands kind of mummy wrapped, waiting to be picked up by my buddy, and a guy says "I'd hate to see the other guy." I was confused until I figured out with the small town drinking-fighting thing he assumed I beat someone senseless without incurring a scratch. Moral: certain time of year, animal crossing signs have definite meaning. Policeman said there were one or two crashes in that stretch per night, for about two weeks, usually with dead people and he looked real spooked to see me alive.

On that happy note, take care of yourself.

Check out the relatively new Inbred Jed video on youtube. That'll open a rabbit hole of entertainment. It's about 0 deg, windy and is snowing right now. Mid April.

Egad Stig!!!
Really glad you are still with us!!
Having been on the receiving end of trauma cases like yours while working in the ICU, I've seen the downsides.
I am glad your mentation is up to snuff.
Many times a fall like that leaves a person not only physically broken, but mentally incapacitated for life.
Keep us up-to-date on how you are doing.

Also, goes without saying (as I know you know) but remember the 'house steps in when needed, so don't be shy asking for some donations to meet the bills as they come.
Could be a while before you're back to falling.

I wish I was close enough to come be your surrogate logger...you could hobble around, try to teach me, blow whistles at me (!!)...you'd get so frustrated you would either kill me or get better quicker to get me out of there!!!

Mick, that is a crazy story about your wife falling, glad she recovered.

Bart, seeing as it was 'only' a motorcycle, how did the moose fare?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spent most of the day at yet another hospital.
Good news.
Hearing loss was due to having blown the ear drum out and the inner ear filled with coagulated blood. They took a pressure hose or something to it and I'm back to around 80%.
The last 10% should show up during next month.

I have no less than 3 different sets of fractures in my scull, no effing wonder my head hurts!

I will not need corrective surgery to realign my broken jaw.

So I'm pretty happy right now.

Now I just need for the Hiroshima bomb to stop going off in my brain over and over and life will be tolerable again.

No news about the broken wrist.

Great to have a place like this to unload when shit like that happens BTW.

Thanks for listening and for all the well wishes.

Does that mean they don't have to wire your jaw shut? That's a personal fear of mine. A lifetime of allergies makes me a mouth breather half the time. If my jaw was wired shut I'd half to knock some teeth out to breathe.

Back