The Official Work Pictures Thread

Do you have adelgid up there? I see healthy looking hemlocks in the foreground

No adelgid yet that I'm aware of in this area.
The tree was indeed bucked and carried up to the chipper.

Still some good holding wood on that hinge. I never know what to expect from EAB killed ash
Murph does...according to him you need at least 8 inches of hinge wood to survive the fell....probably more...and a effin' strong pull from a machine to get the tree where you want it to be. Otherwise, you are an idiot.

I wouldn't know...we have not much ash, EAB killed or otherwise, in my neck of the woods. Fraxinus latifolia is our Oregon ash.

Living large in my despicable little box.
:D.

Last edited:
I took down this Spruce on a former Luftwaffe air base. Its always windy out in Herdla, but yesterday it was exceptionally so.

All I had to do was drop, trim and buck, however the wind was blowing the wrong way for a straight fell so I climbed it. Climbing in high winds on a strong tree is pretty exciting.

It aldo reminded me how pathetic a MS201 is for large Spruce takedowns.Apologies for the poor picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211030-123534_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-123534_Instagram.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 27
Recently I have turned into the arborist version of anti-christ!
Instead of being kind to trees and making nice, self healing cuts, I mutilate them for money.

The Stag Beetle was thought to be extict here for some 30 years, when 2 years ago someone found a specimen.
So the forest bservice started a breed and release programme, getting "breeding stock" from Sweden.
The large larvae has a 7 year life cyclus and need BIG chuncks of wood to live in, a fence post won't do.
So in order to ensure a habitat for them, we are being paid to "veteranize" trees.
Basically hurt them in various ways in order to ensure that they die and decay slowly.

It was our ground breaking work with cutting bat nesting cavities, that led to us being asked if we'd do this.
They have hired 3 of us for a full month.
Price is good and it is not hard work.

We bought a log debarker and it is working out real fine.
Tomorrow I'll bring some straw bales and we'll try to burn some nasty cat faces into 10 trees.
Debark the bottom of the tree, set a bale up against it, toss some fuel on it and it is " I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" time.

Man, the weird shit I do for money!

Size XL bat cavity:
P1080559.JPG P1080565.JPG

Simulated lightning strike.
We'll climb and do some in full tree length next week

P1080567.JPG P1080568.JPG

Other ways:

P1080569.JPG P1080572.JPG P1080574.JPG

Interesting work stig. Looks pretty fun for someone who has done things a particular way for a career.

Creating habitat. Nothing wrong with that.

Fish and Game, after years of clearing log jams in the rivers the new school is putting logs jams back in the rivers. Which was natures way from the beginning.

Fish and game nearly wiped out the runs of salmon and steelhead on local streams by removing the log jams. After about 30 years the runs are starting to come back.

Ironically the decline in the runs was blamed on logging.

Learning every day.

Creating habitat. Nothing wrong with that.

Fish and Game, after years of clearing log jams in the rivers the new school is putting logs jams back in the rivers. Which was natures way from the beginning.

Fish and game nearly wiped out the runs of salmon and steelhead on local streams by removing the log jams. After about 30 years the runs are starting to come back.

Ironically the decline in the runs was blamed on logging.

Learning every day.
I did a whole lot of work over my years with the USFS that would fall under the umbrella of "habitat improvement". I enjoyed it all.

I will assume that is a native spruce. Picea...

No it was a Sitka Spruce Ger.

They are everywhere over here,there was a Government initiative in the 1950's to plant them.Then they discovered Oil in the 1970s and now there are self seeded Sitka all over the place.On top of all the untended Sikta plantations that are often located in impossible terrain.

They were planting Sitka back in the 1930's too.All around where the Germans had their airfeild there was planted Spruce.Years back I took down some of the trickey Spruce that were hanging over the Sewerage treatment plant as they had cleared all the forest around it.The loggers had rolled up so much barbed wire with their machines that there were two balls the size of VW mini busses. Plus a big pile of the metal pigtails used to hold the wire up.

Back