The Official Work Pictures Thread

We've got plenty of them here as well.
Used to be planted in low, boggy areas because they can handle wettish soil and late frost.
Don't grow big here, biggest I know of are 38 meters tall and maybe 20 cubic meters.

Today was burn day.
I should probably tell the members from California and Oregon, who may be somewhat disturbed by the following images, that the forests here are so wet, the only way to start a forest fire is by calling the air force for a Napalm strike.

Our World is changing.
Now it is more about " rewilding" than logging timber.
As a forester my age said to me: "2 choices. Say bullshit and quit or get really good at it"
We've chosen the second option. That is why we've worked so hard on the bat and dormouse projects.
This rewilding project has been granted 13 million $.
We aim to see that as many of those as possible end up in our pockets.
So for it looks like we'll get several months work out of it next year.

We have constantly tried to improve on the tecniques used.
For burning trees to death, we'll try to make an iron pipe with holes near the end, stick that under the straw bale and set a leaf blower to supply air.
Should get a way hotter flame.

The dogs had a fine day, following us around and chasing after the ATV.

P1080582.JPG P1080585.JPG P1080588.JPG P1080592.JPG P1080593.JPG P1080591.JPG

Yep.
We'll go back in a couple of years to gain some knowledge about which tecniques work bests,so we can alter our modus operandi if needed.
I already talked to the guy in charge about that.

I had brought 10 bales of straw, he told me I might as well order 100 more.
Big project :)

There will be a lot of climbing involved, that is perfect for our 2 apprentices.
Way easier to learn to climb when you are working on an hourly wage than when everybody are yelling at you to get going, we are losing money on a bid.

Yup! Too dry at our elevation and latitude to burn like that. But, iit is burn season now. So the brush is burning. Last couple days anyway. Just small piles with water and tools to extinquish as neccessary

@stig
That is interesting work. Controlled burns I get but not for decay or bugs to move in.
Rich, here's the thing...our forest management practices have made it really tough on the little species, which makes it hard on the next and next and next higher tier. Soon enough, you have to recognize that numbers of more charismatic animals are declining because the lower ones on their food chain, or their habitat development chain, or their dependent microbe chain...have been seriously impacted.

Decay and bugs are really important to healthy ecosystem function.

The chain on my 026. Part of what makes a good performing chain is getting the depth gauges pointy. The factory makes them that way for a reason. As seen in the video it self feeds very well through hickory, I didn't let the spikes touch the log.

DSC04664 (1280x906).jpg

I know it's one handing, which I don't take lightly. The quick movement at the end was the hand holding the phone grabbing the handle just as the cut was ending.
View attachment 026 self feed hickory.mp4

That chain reminds me of my wife’s grandmother eating a chicken neck. She’ll work on it till nothing is left but the bone. Then she throws it to the dog and he just looks at her like “what the hell you expect me to do with that”. I keep telling her the depression is over granny, let’s live a little.

Richard is left handed.
It probably felt easier to him in a long cut like that.
May sound strange, but, I’m left handed and feel most comfortable holding the saw the “right” way. Right hand on throttle. Also played bass guitar right handed. I figure, if it’s something I haven’t ever done, my brain/body won’t know the difference as I’m learning how to do it the “right” way.

Interesting concept. I'd have to mull that over a bit. Seems like some activities are inherently 'handed', but maybe that's just familiarity.

Back