Small Cable Yarder

Hope noone was wearing that helmet, when it got flattened like that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
julyskylining133.jpg

julyskylining134.jpg

julyskylining135.jpg

julyskylining136.jpg

julyskylining145.jpg

julyskylining147.jpg

julyskylining150.jpg

julyskylining152.jpg

julyskylining155.jpg

julyskylining157.jpg

julyskylining159.jpg

julyskylining161.jpg

julyskylining162.jpg

Spar trees? LOL, you Brits and your spar trees. So, leaving the top alone is worse for the habitat?

Spar tree is a yank term, its the tree that holds the skyline cable in the air. the tail spar is the tree the skyline is terminated / tied off too.

Leaving the top on would mean it continues to broadcast seed over a wide area, not really what you want when your trying to remove the invasive species from a nature reserve.

Real chokers! Not the same as we use but still!
News flash Ed, fenders go on top of the wheel:D Sacrifices to the tree gods:lol:
What kind of splices are those on your carriage?

hardhat? well Fenders go on top of the wheel, but hard hats dont :D if you do leave them on top of the wheel, they end up underneath the wheel.
quite impressed by the way it stood up to a 6 tonne tractor driving over it

Spar tree is a yank term, its the tree that holds the skyline cable in the air. the tail spar is the tree the skyline is terminated / tied off too.

Leaving the top on would mean it continues to broadcast seed over a wide area, not really what you want when your trying to remove the invasive species from a nature reserve.

So you're killing the tree - now I get it.

Are the chips valuable enough to pay for this adventure?
I for one am more than a little envious of you getting to handle all that wood.

I rigged spars for most of my career in the bush. I only topped if I was worried about the 'whip' of the top. Whether the tree would live or not didn't matter, I fell most spars instead of climbing and unrigging them. I don't know if that's proper but that's how I did it/was taught to do it. You would rig the spar so the block would be on the side that it wouldn't fall on to(giant blocks and cable straps). For quite awhile at a time my job would consist of just rigging spars. Once I was caught up I would help hook.

On this job, being as its a nature reserve, the client asked if we could leave the spar trees topped, and leave a few limbs on them as they make good wild bird perches. Traditionally, I would fell the spar tree.

sort of - The ground we are working on is ancient peat bog. Traditionally bogs were drained and planted, but they found that lots of rare species were loosing their habitat as a result. The trees dry out the bog, and its usually your pioneer species that cover the ground Common BirchBetula pendula, and Scots pine Pinus sylvestris

Same here, except instead of scot's pine it is Norway spruce( picea abies)

I wasn't trying to show off by using the latin name, BTW, I simply couldn't remember what the tree was called in english.

sort of - The ground we are working on is ancient peat bog. Traditionally bogs were drained and planted, but they found that lots of rare species were loosing their habitat as a result. The trees dry out the bog, and its usually your pioneer species that cover the ground Common BirchBetula pendula, and Scots pine Pinus sylvestris

It's not a Forestry Commission site by any chance, is it? They've got a great track record of taking rare habitat and covering it with non-native monocultures.