rigSAVER

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I posted about this in the splicing thread but thought I would put a thread here. I really like my rigSAVER, the old one with the 3 strand worked well but this new one is really great.

We built a high line yesterday for some access of a large hill we were vista clearing. I easily set the rigSAVER remotely.

Here is a short video of it being retrieved from hanging configuration...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZX3mzpieSA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is a remotely set/retrievable rigging device. It is built from 9/16's stable braid, a 3" rigging ring, a DMM Pinto RIG and a XRiggingRing.

IMG_5775.JPG

Nick,
Is that heat-shrink on the end with the XRR? Is it to 'tighten' the eye splice on the ring?
Slid up and shrunk after you've whip-locked that splice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is 10mm TVP. Much nicer product than Tenex Tec if you ask me.

The Spliced Pintos from ABR use 3/8s Tenex with a MBS of 5500lbs and an ABS of 6100lbs... The 10mm TVP has a MBS of 10,000lbs

Tenex
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1620
TVP
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1064

The pictures of the TVP make it look round and puffy but its actually really flat and slick... It is harder than Tenex Tec and woven more tightly, both characteristics make it less prone to picking and I am guessing it will last longer. I like the 8mm and the 10mm TVP so much, that unless I need something bigger than 10k MBS, Tenex is out.

I think you would really dig a rigSAVER...

OH crap.. I didnt realize I posted that pic... I rebuilt it.. THAT is 3/8's tenex... Here is the new 10mm TVP:

IMG_20130428_114021.jpg
IMG_20130428_114042.jpg

I didnt zero the rope between the tuck exits so when I tapered and milked I missed the overlap a bit...Lesson learned. Its amazing how much cordage it takes to make a 19" eye to eye.

bulking up, that made me laugh.. I dont think so, but maybe?

Really. I was serious. Looked like those shoulders grew some. I wasn't being fresh. It was a compliment. Its all that handsaw work making you "all swoll an jacked"....8)

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was blocking down stuff. I think I'm gonna make one. Seems more practical than the loopie I use with the rig on it now.

Do you ever use the antal ring? I'm thinking I might pass on that side unless it does something really useful.

I use it to retrieve from choked... But I have never done that. You could also use it to equalize two rigging points assuming the main body was long enough, or a basket style ring and ring.

If I am worried about retrieving basket through a tight crotch where I might pull my knot through the RIG I will thread the rigging ring as well, as a back up to the retrieval.

You could do without it but I like it.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was blocking down stuff. I think I'm gonna make one. Seems more practical than the loopie I use with the rig on it now.

Do you ever use the antal ring? I'm thinking I might pass on that side unless it does something really useful.

I've got one being put together right now, can't wait to get it!!! :D

I have been pushing mine to the limit. Here is some reckless footage thats not meant to be a testament to good judgement, but more of a proof of capacity.

I now consider these splices "tested".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zLu1LsFHQtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used it yesterday, didn't drop anywhere as much weight as you did. :D I would have no problem "testing" it with something heavier. ;)

Unfortunately I had to leave it 70' up the Ash I started, had to bail out, a thunderstorm shut me down. When I tried to retrieve the RigSaver the retrieval ring got knotted up on the rope and got hung tight. :( I think letting it run up by itself caused it to "tie itself off", probably should have "eased it up" with my throwline, live and learn. :|:

Ayuh, I would have done it day 1 Nick..... :D

Ha, ha, that vid made me laugh Nick.

You know what makes that easy to watch for me is that you said it was “reckless footage” and “not meant to be a testament to good judgment”. Ok, well lets have some fun then.

wait wait what happened?

You had it choked, and then sent the ring up, and then?

I had the Rigsaver set about 70' up choked, I had the rope through the X ring so I could retrieve it.
I attached the retrieval ring and let the rope "run up" and it looks like the ring wrapped around the
rope just before it went through the pulley, couldn't get it to shake loose. I'll get it down tomorrow.
When I climb up I'll take a close look to see exactly how it got tangled/knotted up. :(
I'm thinkin' I should have used my throwline to "run it up" slow..... :dontknow:

Okay Nick, here's a few pics of what I found when I got to it. It was exactly what I expected..... :(

You can see the rope went through the pulley but the retrieval ring knotted itself around the rigging rope. #-o

On a "much better note", I'm learnin' somethin'.....you've mentioned a few times how you retrieve your climb line
when you have it choked at your tie in point.....3 or 4 times now(today I used the rigging rope 'cause it was right there)
I have retrieved my climb line from a "choked tie in point" with no problem, even though it takes an extra line to do it,
it really is an awesome way to retrieve a climb line(choked)from the ground! :D :thumbupold: (pic at the bottom)
Thanks for the tip/technique..... :notworthy:

View attachment 48449View attachment 48450

View attachment 48451

Back