rigSAVER

Okay Nick, here's a few pics of what I found when I got to it. It was exactly what I expected..... :(

You can see the rope went through the pulley but the retrieval ring knotted itself around the rigging rope. #-o

On a "much better note", I'm learnin' somethin'.....you've mentioned a few times how you retrieve your climb line
when you have it choked at your tie in point.....3 or 4 times now(today I used the rigging rope 'cause it was right there)
I have retrieved my climb line from a "choked tie in point" with no problem, even though it takes an extra line to do it,
it really is an awesome way to retrieve a climb line(choked)from the ground! :D :thumbupold: (pic at the top)
Thanks for the tip/technique..... :notworthy:

Sorry about that..... :|:

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8159 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8159 - Copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8154 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8154 - Copy.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_8167 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8167 - Copy.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 119
Randy, make the last half-hitch right at the end of the rope, save a 1/4-1/2". This will pull cleaner. I know the ring was the snafu, here. A few more tight half-hitches along the length, well 1-2 more, will help to stop the corkscrew thing, sometimes.

That was cool!

I'm late to this thread, I have a couple of dumb questions:

So is the rig saver like a heavy duty version of a {friction saver pulley set up used for the climb line}, meaning the load (limbs and logs) is run on a pulley (in this case a Pinto pulley) and it is remotely settable and retrievable?

The 2 legs of the friction hitch are spliced to the 2 cheek plates of the pinto pulley, right? Even though the cheek plates are rounded they still seem rather thin, seems like more strength could be had if the spliced eyes were attached to a biner which would then be attatched to the pinto pulley which would have a spacer between the cheek plates?

In your break vid, was the pinto pulley with the prussic in there too?

Thanks, Nick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The prusik is by far the strongest component. Either the whole load is on the prusik which is 2 legs of 10k lb rope which then goes to one leg of 12k lb rope... OR the load is split between two legs of 12k lb rope with 1/2 the load on the prusik which is 2 legs of 10klb rope.

There is no way you break the prusik, not through sensible use. The prusik slides at 10k lbs and then breaks the rope at 12-14 once it jams. Having an endless loop with a spacer fouls up retrieval, the tolerance between the pulley and the XRR is to close for a ball to reliably retrieve.

The rigSAVER is most similar to a pulley saver from Teufelberger with some differences. There a re a few core configurations but it can be set/retrieved remotely with and without the pulley involved. There are also setups that utilize the adjustability and those that dont.

Its a great tool, I have been using some variation for quite a while now.

The Pinto was in the vid I posted, yes.

So, no issues with the spliced eyes on the pulley getting cut when heavily loaded?

Does that surprise you at all since the bearing surface seems quite small, like it would act like a knife blade on the spliced eye?

I dont see the pulley in the vid, is it off screen?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We saw minor slippage, stop and go, from 2-5k with a slow load rate. It didn't glaze and slide free until 10k. With a fast load rate the slippage was much less. We weren't able to break the prusik sling at all while it was connected to the rope.

The rigsaver in your break test video looks like it has sewn eyes on the tenex was the one tested a different version than your original and if so who sewed it? Wondering why you changed it from the custom splice work to the sewn version. Just curious for those of us that want to build our own.

Back