Project Muscle Truck (again!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got lots of paint left over from the batch I used to paint the block...

Got the water pump today... might get it on tonight or tomorrow...

Gary

I am getting tired of hearing about it Gary, I wanna HEAR it..... idling (you did get a nice lumpy dumpy cam right?), high rpm (lets see what Edelbrock can do at revs), shredding tires, smokin out the neighbors, come on already! :D

Don't be ridiculous Paul. We all know Gary won't drive it beyond the speed limit, break any noise ordinances or drive it irresponsibly. He's building it for going and picking up groceries and running errands.

:lol::lol:

Really though Gary, that thing looks awesome. Wish I was still out there and I'd be able to come check it out with you over a couple of Alaskans.

I am getting tired of hearing about it Gary, I wanna HEAR it..... idling (you did get a nice lumpy dumpy cam right?), high rpm (lets see what Edelbrock can do at revs), shredding tires, smokin out the neighbors, come on already! :D

Ahh... patience grasshopper... LOL :lol:

It's gettin' there Paully... I will get some vids to put up when I start it, and of the first smoke show...

The cam is a nice lumpy-dumpy cam too... :thumbup:

Gary

Got the transmission mount bolted up, starter bolted in, drive line back in, I had to adjust the inlet of the fuel pump to match where the fuel line comes to the pump, and I got the new water pump painted and bolted on. Oh... also got the radiator core support cleaned up and painted... More progress. :)

Gary

Attachments

• 1972 GMC 073.jpg
    1972 GMC 073.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1972 GMC 074.jpg
    1972 GMC 074.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1972 GMC 075.jpg
    1972 GMC 075.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 16
  • 1972 GMC 072.jpg
    1972 GMC 072.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 1972 GMC 077.jpg
    1972 GMC 077.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1972 GMC 071.jpg
    1972 GMC 071.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 16
I think you mentioned this but- Did you paint that frame with POR or is it a two part paint? I have something I am considering doing a frame up build on and have been looking into getting the entire frame galvanized

I think you mentioned this but- Did you paint that frame with POR or is it a two part paint? I have something I am considering doing a frame up build on and have been looking into getting the entire frame galvanized

Frans... I only POR15'd a couple of areas that were rusted on the inner fender and the radiator support. I did not use any POR15 on the frame. I did however use a product made by the same company as POR15 called "Marine Clean" on the frame and firewall. It is a biodegradeble degreaser that works like friggin' magic. I have used it on other stuff since then and it is great stuff. :)

What's it like, working on something so clean?:)

Steve... It is sweet. The teardown is my least favorite part of any project just for the reason that it is just a greay dirty mess. This is the fun part. Puttin' all the clean/new stuff back together. :thumbup:

Gary

Thanks Gary. You live in the pacific northwest and it is wet. I live further south of you so it is even drier.

Guys on the east coat galv. their frames but I was questioning that for my re-build. Seems excessive.
If it is good enough for you to not worry about it, it will work for me.

By the way, POR is some messy stuff! I will check into that 'marine clean', been looking for a better product for awhile thanks for the tip.

Had to get a little creative with the grinder tonight. To get the vacuum port that the transmission modulator line goes into to clear the rear fuel bowl of the big Holley carb.

No sweat! :thumbup: EZPZ

Gary

Attachments

• 1972 GMC 085.jpg
    1972 GMC 085.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 14
That works, although why wouldn't you just add an extra gasket or thin spacer between the carb and intake? Last time I messed around with Holley carbs, they had different size risers to go between the carb and intake for the appropriate clearance.

Not questioning your actions, just asking to learn. :)

From experience... the more crap you stack under the carb... the bigger chance for a vacuum leak. So I try to keep it as simple as possible... :)

Gary

Cool Gary. Geez, you're some kind of mechanic or something. ;)

Very nice Gary, to have been away for awhile, then come back and see how the project has progressed. Not to rush you, but looking forward to the vehicles debut.

...Very nice Gary... Not to rush you, but looking forward to the vehicles debut.

:lol: I frequent another site where a guy is re-building a vehicle, and I have to say that I feel the same way. Seeing a project coming together is alot of fun. and I get impatient to see how it all turns out.

One thing I like about your project Gary is that your gonna have a 'sleeper'. Original looking but with some real muscle hidden away in there. Keep up the good work!

Thanks you guys... I'm trying to get 'er done soon. I don't want to rush, because thats when mistakes happen. Once again, I know that from experience... :)

Gary

Reminds me of learning the hard way about how to tighten steel bolts into alum. :)

Ha! Yep... no gorilla torque needed. Being the size I am, I have to really pay attention to how much I tighten fasteners. I have developed a pretty good "feel" over the years. Stripped out my fair share of aluminum bolt holes.

On the other hand... I got really good at installing heli-coils... ;)

Gary

From experience... the more crap you stack under the carb... the bigger chance for a vacuum leak. So I try to keep it as simple as possible... :)

Gary

Should have gone with the tunnel ram, would of given you all the hose clearance you need.;)

Back