Project Bay Boat

• Thread starter fishhuntcutwood
  • Start date
  • Replies 126
  • Views 12K
Wire mesh, JB weld, muratic acid and scotch brite pads, good as new!!:lol:

I know it's not your first choice Jeff, but Evanrude is having a KILLER sale on the new four stroke motors. Might be worth looking into?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alot of guys like the E-Tecs. I'm sure they're fine, but I'm not a fan of BRP for a couple of reasons.

But I'm going to stick with Yamaha as I do like their motors and I've got Yamaha rigging and gauges already, and that's almost $2000.

No, but Jeff's thinking (I think) is it will cost just about as much to get it rebuilt as a new one. He also seems concerned about turn around time and finding a competent mechanic.
I think he just wants to "upgrade" and get it on the water!

Yeah, a rebuild was going to be about $7,000 on a motor that (running) is worth about $6,000. And then I'd be with a motor with only a one year warrantee on just the powerhead. The rebuild was actually going to call for a new powerhead, and not a rebuild of my current block. When you have a catastrophic failure like this, the block can be rebuilt, but that's usually at a "remanfactured" level like from Jasper engines or something like that. Not just down at the local mechanic.

So it'll cost me alot more, but the repower is actually more cost effective than a rebuild on my current motor. I'll have my hull and a new motor that'll last me for a while. My blown motor was nearing the end of it's useful life, and I was thinking just last week it's probably going to happen in the next year or two....turns out it happened in the next week or two! I've got an awesome mechanic down the road and I'm actually getting the motor from him on his dealer demo program. He's actually just a Yamaha service center, and not an end line dealer, so he doesn't sell motors off the shelf, so he never uses his demo motors from Yamaha. He gets two brand new motors from Yamaha per year at 25% off dealer cost, so he's going to give me one of those, which will save me about $4,000. Hopefully I'll be back on the water by late May.

Alrightey, the loan is approved and I'm waiting on the check to order the motor. I've decided on the Yamaha 225 Sport, which is the hot shit motor right now. If anyone wants to know why, I can elaborate, but for now, I'll just say I'm pretty stoked about this. This motor is going to actually be an upgrade from the two stroke I had. Also going to switch to a four blade prop.

Can't wait!!!!

Attachments

• F225FourStrokesport.jpg
    F225FourStrokesport.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 65
Heck, give us the details!

I'm stoked you're stoked. Thought I was going to have to send you my 110 Mercury Thunderbolt.

I'm going up to the boat's max, which is 225, and they're fairly common at about $15,500 or so, plus $2k install. If I needed gauges and controls that'd be another K.

As it stands now, I should be out the door for about $15k, maybe $16k if something comes up. But that's because I'm getting a helluva deal from my dealer. Without him, I would be dropping $17k+ I'm only spending $12,500 on the motor, so I can't complain about that.

Heck, give us the details!

I'm stoked you're stoked. Thought I was going to have to send you my 110 Mercury Thunderbolt.

LOL, I might take it if I can't get back on the water by June!

The details basically is that this 225 has the same cam and valve timing as the big 250, but tuned down to 225. Basically it's got alot more mid range and torque than a standard four stroke, and is similar to two stroke power. This motor is pushing 22' bay boats into the low 60's, which is two stroke teritory. I've got a heavy, deep boat, so I'm hoping to hit high 50's. I'd be surprised if I top 60, but it's possible I suppose. Right now I'd love to hit 55-57.

One day when I'm rich I'd like to put a Yamaha 90 two stroke on my Scout. It's over 100 lbs lighter than the 90 four stroke and is probably the lightest 90 hp available. My boat is only rated for an 80 but the 90 uses the same block as the 70, so I could put 70 decals on the cover and nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. Right now it has a Yamaha 60 (with slightly weak compression) and tops out at 32mph.

Got the new motor hung

Got it hung last week. I took off Thursday and Friday just to get it broke in enough to be able to fish the muskie opener Saturday. The first hour is all below 2000 rpm, which isn't even on plane. The second hour is on plane, but only fast enough to stay on plane, then after that I can go as fast as I like, but not WOT for more than 5 minutes until 10 hrs. Sounds kinda complex, but basically now I can run it as I like, but not WOT for too long. Another five hours and it's broken in and I can run it as I like.

So taking advantage of a five minute window at max power, I hit 53 mph at 6000 rpm over 2' chop. That's on a green motor with a full tank of fuel so I'm pretty pleased with that. I could raise the motor one more hole and pick up a mph or two and some rpms, but I like it where it's at for the rough water I'm usually in. So another 20 hrs or so and I expect it to pick up a couple of mph as-is, so 55 is within my reach. Not that I run it that fast usually, but boat comparisons are made at WOT max power, so that's what I'm basing it's performance on.

So far this thing really impresses me. It's got low end and mid range which is where I spend most of my time. And of course being a four stroke, it's quiet. It also has a low water pick up, which I didn't know it had until I saw it in person. Low water pick ups allow you to raise your motor, which improves performance. They also help keep water pressure up in a turn or if you're trimmed up idling in shallow water, and water pressure is a good thing!

And it's huge! I put up my old VMAX cowling next to it to compare the size.

I think it looks pretty badazz too, so that's a bonus. 8)

Attachments

• P6020048.JPG
    P6020048.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 57
  • P6030004.JPG
    P6030004.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P6030005.JPG
    P6030005.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P6030007.JPG
    P6030007.JPG