Pick Up Trucks

treetx

Traveler extraordinaire
I am curious about opinions on pickups and beds.

I've not had a pick up since I did treework on my own. That was 2003 when I sold my long bed F350 powerstroke. Then it was off to being a climber, operating out of a bag. Since then, I have happily NOT had a truck. That is over, I have the itch. I'm tired of small cars.

I'm getting a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel and flirting with getting a skirted flatbed. I like the look but also love the utility. I like the open space to work on a flatbed and hate that a normal bed collects trash. Any reason to NOT get a skirted flatbed??

This is a hobby vehicle for part time tree work, camping adventures, projects at the family ranch, etc.

If that is what you want then buy it. I like either a flatbed or regular box but I think a regular bed is better for family trucking.

I'm skeptical of any diesel built after 2008 due to tier 4 emissions. They no longer get awesome mileage and they are no longer good for 2-300K miles. Typical major failures at 150K or less. I like the 6.7 Ford but my buddy had one and the fuel pump ate itself on his at about 160k and he paid $16K for a new engine.

That said, there are some very good gas options available. Ford had the 6.2 Boss v8 engine from 2010-2022. 400hp, 2 spark plugs per cylinder and very reliable. Diesels simply are not worth the premium unless you are pulling a load every single day.

I have been looking at either a diesel or larger gas truck for some time. My 2005 F350 has the 5.4 v8 and it only gets about 7mpg pulling my trailer. It gets the job done though.

IMG_0486.JPG

Why not get a srw 1 ton?

Skirted flatbed… why not. It’s functional, add some boxes to make up for the lack of bedsides.

Isuzu diesel DMax 2011 model - 8lt per 100km, 4cyl 3 litre turbocharged 4x4
Odo is currently on 260,000km, new clutch and slave cylinder due to knobhead thief couldn't drive a stick shift.
Gonna keep it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I simply like diesels. I've driven nothing but since 2006.

I hear you on justifying the premium for a diesel. It used to be that pre-emissions BS, a 7.0L turbo diesel would get 22mpg. I'm looking at a dodge mainly because my old man has a 2017 srw 1 ton that he has driven the absolute piss out of. Much of that with a 32ft stock trailer with living quarters. The truck will be a toy for me so justification boils down to want.

I like the flatbeds. I am being a poser by getting one. In N TX, W TX, and NM, flatbeds are pretty much a cowboy thing. I have interfaced with the help on some of the big ranches and the flatbed is super cool. Most of the time, it is empty, save for a cooler. When you do have stuff, you throw it on, strap it, down, then you have a work surface. My old man still works some on the larger ranches. He says the flatbeds are cool but opted against it as inevitably someone is driving off with their leggings still on the bed, tools, etc.

My want is that I will be doing a lot of my flying hobbies with it and want the work surface or easy access to whatever I have in boxes on the flatbed. Other than the flying hobbies, either tree stuff or ranch oriented stuff. My other diesel is a BMW wagon. I'm tired of worrying about scratching stuff. I am going to keep that road missile but want a truck....

Thanks for the council!!

My flatbed is 6' x 8'6", drop sides. Lined with form ply so logs and chip just slide right out.
Considering a tip kit for it.
Diesel for the win.

Never had one, but I like the idea of a flatbed. It can be anything you want. It's blank slate to make into something useful for the current job, then reverted when the job's over.

Back