My Garden

stehansen

Climbing Up
Could it be the beginnings of a tomato dynasty?

Attachments

• patterson 002 (Medium).jpg
    patterson 002 (Medium).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 145
WOW!!! Those are some HUGE tomato plants!

What are those little ones in the foreground? :P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ladies and Gentlemen fasten your seatbelts, the latest garden pictures are on-line now.

Attachments

• garden 001 (Medium).jpg
    garden 001 (Medium).jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 16
You just can't beat home grown tomatoes. I think I am going to try canning this summer, prices are going up so much.

Its official a gardening thread. Thansk steve, I'mm post photos later today.
After a life of soldiering this is one of the things I have missed and just now catching up on. Trying out corn (ill boost this thread then) but I learnt this week that you gotta have two rows of corn to pollonate each other. Kinda weird, I thought bees did that.

I've got some 'Hard Rock', 'Roma', 'Pink Girl', 'Brandywine', and ONE tiny seedling from an old heirloom German tomato out in the greenhouse right now. Traditionally, they go into the ground on Derby Day...or ~May 10th.

I've got some 'Hard Rock', 'Roma', 'Pink Girl', 'Brandywine', and ONE tiny seedling from an old heirloom German tomato out in the greenhouse right now. Traditionally, they go into the ground on Derby Day...or ~May 10th.

If you guys are canning any of these, the Roma types will yeild a lot more stuff in the jar as the Ace type are composed of more water than the Roma types.

If you guys are canning any of these, the Roma types will yeild a lot more stuff in the jar as the Ace type are composed of more water than the Roma types.

I agree, I can ONLY Romas and Hard Rock. I also 'deskin and deseed' them before canning:

I boil them for about 45seconds to a minute...plunge into cold water (I float some ice blocks to keep it cold)

each tomato, cut out the core from the top...stick your CLEAN finger into the tomato and mush around a little, holding on to the sides with one hand give the tomato a really hard shake into the sink. The seeds will come out. If you need/want them all off, repeat the procedure. Squeeze from the bottom, and the the tomato will POP right out of its skin (from the boiling)

I usually cut them in half just to make sure there is not ugly chunks of tomato rot and throw them into a quart jar to can.

I agree, I can ONLY Romas and Hard Rock. I also 'deskin and deseed' them before canning:

I boil them for about 45seconds to a minute...plunge into cold water (I float some ice blocks to keep it cold)

each tomato, cut out the core from the top...stick your CLEAN finger into the tomato and mush around a little, holding on to the sides with one hand give the tomato a really hard shake into the sink. The seeds will come out. If you need/want them all off, repeat the procedure. Squeeze from the bottom, and the the tomato will POP right out of its skin (from the boiling)

I usually cut them in half just to make sure there is not ugly chunks of tomato rot and throw them into a quart jar to can.

You obviously know all the tricks.

You obviously know all the tricks.

I get a little wacko about growing/canning tomatoes. I guess I really enjoy the whole process (most of the time) and 'fine tune' my procedure each year.

Would I be bogarting your thread if I described my planting procedures?

Back