My Garden

thanks Google!

"Furrow Irrigation: Irrigation method in which water travels through the field by means of small channels between each groups of rows. "

:D

Che and Butch, it is meant to water the plant without getting it wet around the base of the plant which will keep the weeds from growing around the base of the plant and also if there are any tomatoes touching the ground there they will be on dry ground and won't rot. We have to water like a son of a gun here compared to you guys because our weather is hot and our humidity is low in the summer, usually 20 to 50 percent.

I may have to re-think my setup. When the romas start ripening, many drop. Often they'll rot before I can pick them up. Great timing, I was going to plant them tomorrow. Thanks Steve!

I'm going to do some googling myself (thanks for the keywords, Paul)....I wonder if that method of watering would be helpful in my daylily 'garden'. I don't like overhead watering, but there's too much foliage to water close to the plant otherwise.

In Steve's area, they irrigate the stone fruit orchards with that type of irrigation method.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kinda orchard is that....Walnuts?

No Bivy that is the neighbor's almond orchard. It is 6 years old and that's about all I know about it, except that the almonds are very tasty and my wife always yells at me for eating them when they are in the winrows. Last year they had such a big crop that some of the trees just leaned over with the weight and uprooted. He would drag them to the edge of the orchard and call me to dispose of the tree.

Well, got my way and the garden is going where i wanted it to go.

Worked on it most of the day. I meant to take pics and forgot until well after the fact.

I started out w/ a sod cutter cutting out the grass. came in w/ my skidder and picked up the sod, transferring some to some bear spots in the yard and the rest will go to fill in a hole in my truck yard. Started working w/ a rototiller. WHAT A BITCH! There is a silver maple not too far away and the roots i encountered were amazing. I had to stop after each pass and pull out the roots. Ive been back over it once and will make a couple more passes tomorrow trying to get up the roots that are free but down in the soil.

Im planning on getting the plants in the ground tomorrow, then bringing home a truck w/ chips in it later in the week.

On the planting list: 11 tomatoes (3 jet star, 2 better boy, 1 grape, 1 bradley pink, 1 black krim, 3 yellow), 12 peppers (3 green bell, 3 yellowbell, 3 jalapenos, 3 habeneros), 3 crimson sweet watermelon, 1 pumpkin, 3 butternut squash, 3 acorn squash, 3 marketmore cucumbers, 3 green zucchini. Id also like to put in some green beans and okra, but not sure Ive got the room. The plot is about 22x20.

The pink and krim tomatoes were on sale for 25 cents at the store. Thought, what the hell, they may not be any good, but then again....

And the funniest thing....I wont eat ANY of it! (unless i find room for the beans.)

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try growing them upside down.

I was at the dentist's AGAIN this morning, the dental assistant told me that she tried planting those upside down tomato bags last summer. She said they did 'ok'.....but the ones they planted in the 5 gallon white buckets did alot better.

She figured it was the larger volume of soil available to the plant. Not only was there more room for the roots to grow and more soil to hold water longer, but the reflective white and extra soil around the roots probably helped the heat issue.

I'm going to try it, I can spare a feed bucket...got lots. :D

She says they just cut a hole in the bottom and threaded the small plant through and then filled it with soil. I think I might put a coffee filter around the upside down stem where it comes out of the plastic to make sure the soil stays where it should.

She said the buckets did fine watering every other day.

Heres the garden pics.

1) the garden after 4 tilling pics. I first cut out the sod, then hit it w/ the tiller
2) Plants before planting
3) fence going up around to keep out the dog
4) Son Logan on the skid loader w/ a load of roots that came out of the ground
5) Finished fence w/ plants in ground
6) tomatoes
7) peppers
8 ) squash, cucumbers, pumpkin

Attachments

• 100_2005.jpg
    100_2005.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_2004.jpg
    100_2004.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_2006.jpg
    100_2006.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2007.jpg
    100_2007.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_2051.jpg
    100_2051.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2053.jpg
    100_2053.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2052.jpg
    100_2052.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2054.jpg
    100_2054.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 31
Ive also got okra planted along the fence behind the bball goal. Planted as seed so its not up yet. hopefully by the end of the week.

Stehansen we done got 5 tomatoes. yall got any yet?

I'll have to go out and look but I don't think so.
I went and looked and I do have a few. Ladies and Gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure, my tomatoes. I put a little nitrogen fertilizer in the furrow a week ago or so and watered it in.

Attachments

• garden 001 (Medium).jpg
    garden 001 (Medium).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 8
  • garden 002 (Medium).jpg
    garden 002 (Medium).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 8
You can catch a little more time up in the summer being further north than me OM. Che, you'll just have to be a little later. :( I have been in the midwest a few times and it seems like a greenhouse in the summer with the humidity. Plants love that. People, not so much.

PIcture from today. I planted some sweet corn to the right of the tomatoes last week.

Attachments

• garden 001 (Small).jpg
    garden 001 (Small).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 55
Picked our first tomatoes today. 3 grape tomatoes. also picked about 7 jalepeno peppers and 3 yellow squash.

here are some updated pics.
tomatoes
bell peppers (these are yellow bells, not ready to pick yet)
acorn squash
butternut squash
jalapenos
the plants now
some cannas along the back fence

Attachments

• 100_0037.jpg
    100_0037.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0036.jpg
    100_0036.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0035.jpg
    100_0035.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0034.jpg
    100_0034.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0033.jpg
    100_0033.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0038.jpg
    100_0038.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_0040.jpg
    100_0040.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 29
Looking good treedude. I've probably picked a couple of tomatoes off of each plant. I'd take some pictures but I have weeds and I want to represent but alas am too lazy. So I'll just tell you about it.

Here you go. The last picture is of an orange tree I planted a few months ago. It's showing a little stress from the 112 degree day we had the day before yesterday. It gets the afternoon sun reflecting off the building behind it too.

Attachments

• garden 003 (Medium).jpg
    garden 003 (Medium).jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 2
  • garden 004 (Medium).jpg
    garden 004 (Medium).jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2
  • garden 005 (Medium).jpg
    garden 005 (Medium).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 37
Here's the results of some gardening I was forced to cease and desist. :(

Attachments

• curingtime.jpg
    curingtime.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 37
<object width="400" height="342" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ais_video_player"><param name="movie" value="https://www.topsytree.com/spark/video/ais_video_player.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="videoID=ai141&bufferTime=5" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="https://www.topsytree.com/spark/video/ais_video_player.swf" flashvars="videoID=ai141&bufferTime=5" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="342"></embed></object>

Back