My Garden

Heres our onions and lettuce! Back left you can see our taters, done already leafed up at 30 days old.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 9
Here ya go Boss:
http://topsyturvys.com/
yhst-10021238557017_1990_2226637

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get a little wacko about growing/canning tomatoes. I guess I really enjoy the whole process (most of the time) and 'fine tune' my procedure each year.

Would I be bogarting your thread if I described my planting procedures?

Describe away Che.

I start tomatoes inside from seed, I grow them under shop lights in my laundry room....keeping the top of the leaves as close as possible to the light without touching. That keeps them nice and stocky.

When it's time to plant (after all danger of frost is past), I sink the plant into the soil up to the last whorl of leaves. If stem is long, I dig a hole with a slanted side to ease the plant up without breaking it (see image.) The stem will grow roots where ever it is touching soil, more access to water. I keep all the stems going in the same direction so I know where NOT to stake.

I water the hole, then fill with soil, gently packing. I stick a label with the variety name in next the the base of the plant. I push most of it under ground so it will stay put through the summer.

I wheelbarrow stacks of newspapers out to the garden, and lay them about 5-6+ sheets thick all around the plant. I cover this with around 3-4" of bagged grass clippings, since it's usually early in the season, there aren't too many weed/grass seed in it. This will keep the paper in place, blocking weeds and keeping the moisture levels consistant. Normally, I don't ever water throughout the summer. Once or twice if it's a REALLY dry season. I'm not exactly sure of how, but I've heard that water stress (too much or too little) is one of the culprits in blossom-end rot, seems it affects the Ca/Mg uptake (?) Just like mulching trees, I don't put the mulch right up to the 'trunk'....I leave a bit of room.

My tomato cages are big. They're made from thick metal fencing material we use to keep the cattle in the fields. Many heirloom plants are indeterminate, they will keep growing taller as long as the season lasts. They are heavy, most storebought cages will collapse under this weight. I try to put the cages out within a day or two of planting or it can be difficult to fit them around the plant.

I put a stake (usually a tobacco stick, remember this is Kentucky) just inside the tomato cage, on the side facing the direction the wind usually comes from. I will usually 'tether' them out before they get big enough to catch the wind and topple over.

I leave about 40" between the larger plants, a bit less for the determinate plants (Romas, etc.) If I'm planting a lot of different varieties, I usually attach a label to the cage also so I can tell who's who easily.

That's it. The next thing I do is pick 'em. I do can them. I can describe that too if anyone is interested. You need a pressure canner though.....water bath processing isn't recommended anymore 'cuz the newer hybrids are lower acid and it's not safe at low pressure.

scout_romas.jpg

Attachments

• tomatoplant_hole.gif
    tomatoplant_hole.gif
    90.3 KB · Views: 50
  • tomatoplant_caged.gif
    tomatoplant_caged.gif
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
When I grew tomatoes for Heinz blossom end rot was controlled by never letting the soil dry out. We usually had 2 120 acre fields and after the plants started flowering we would have about a 1200 gal/minute flow of water going in each field for about 6 weeks until there was about 10% ripes and then we cut the water off.
I take the easy road and buy plants and just transplant them into the garden about like you describe, except I just bury them as deep as I want to keep about the right amount of plant sticking out of the ground.

Thanks Che! I miss gardening and look forward to getting back to it someday. Homegrown tomatoes are one of those things that just can't be beat. I think sugar snap peas straight off the vine is another one of my favorites.

Che, careful of that tobacco, dont forget about tobacco mosaic virus!
Stehansen, I thought it was a calcium thing for blossom end rot.

isnt it 57 varieties that Heinz grows? wheres the 57 sauce :D

What kind of tomatoes does Heinz grow, Steve?

They are all the Roma type only more so. Practically no water inside and tuff as hell. You could take a ripe one and throw it hard against a wall and it wouldn't splatter it would only crack a little. They don't want to be buying water.

Thanks Steve, I remember reading about a smaller round tomato that they developed, but that was a long time ago.

This new variety I've been growing for a couple years now is close to that. I liked the name "Hard Rock".....but it actually is a description. They did very well out in the garden, and they canned great. The taste was good, too.

No tobacco here anymore, Paul....just the 'sticks'. They had to be strong to hold all that tobacco, so they're really good for garden stakes.

I was going to just check my facts, but this was interesting so I'll link the whole page: BLOSSOM END ROT

No peas here Leon....but I've got two "cattle panels" set up to trellis some half runner beans. They're a PITA to 'string', but they do taste the best, IMHO. I'll probably play with a picture of that set up too. I used it last year for the first time and it was wondeful.....no weeding or bending, just planting,picking,eating.

Butch....I don't know anything about those hanging contraptions, but growing a tomato plant in a half whiskey barrel outside is pretty easy. The barrels are big enough that it doesn't need daily watering....a big plus. Any big container like that with holes for drainage would work....get some good soil or compost from a customer, and add some old elephant poop from your zoo job and you'll be set.
:D

hey che, I know ive mentioned this in the past, now im serious. I need some daylilys. I have a bed against my house, brick side, west facing. Could you throw me some suggestions? Id want a variety of color.

as for my garden, I was going to put in a pretty good size one this yr. I haveny really had one since i moved into this house 2 yrs ago. This spring, the wife says she doesnt want it where i was going to put it, but out 'behind the shed'. I think shell not water it and itll all die. I dont know, its not to late to say forget it. Messed up thing, I grow it and dont eat it. I hate tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra, etc. but I love the garden and the time growing it to give it away. Is that really weird?

hey che, I know ive mentioned this in the past, now im serious. I need some daylilys. I have a bed against my house, brick side, west facing. Could you throw me some suggestions? Id want a variety of color.

Check out the pics on my website and email me. I'll be GLAD to help you out. :D

(IMHO....No, definitely NOT weird.)

I should go out and put the wire cone things on my tomatoes, but I'm being lazy.

....water bath processing isn't recommended anymore 'cuz the newer hybrids are lower acid and it's not safe at low pressure.

I didn't know that ?
Your entire post was cool as hell, Che. Thanks for the info !
MAN, I love homegrown tomatoes !!!
Don't forget the fried green 'maters !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wDGfxaVXbJ8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wDGfxaVXbJ8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

tc3---tell me about fried green--i fixed them as a recipe said to, and thought they were absolutely tasteless-- -----------

thats entirely believeable,Butch---eat the batter--throw away the tomato!!!!

Took this picture this morning.

Attachments

• truckfriday 001 (Medium).jpg
    truckfriday 001 (Medium).jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5
Looks good, Steve! I've never seen watering done like that....in between the rows. Does that encourage better root growth?

Che and Butch, it is meant to water the plant without getting it wet around the base of the plant which will keep the weeds from growing around the base of the plant and also if there are any tomatoes touching the ground there they will be on dry ground and won't rot. We have to water like a son of a gun here compared to you guys because our weather is hot and our humidity is low in the summer, usually 20 to 50 percent.

Back