My Competition: Tree fo' Less

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh well, I got a 2k job around the corner.......easy none the less.........8) I get frustrated when folks want quality and then buy BS.

Good thing that MOFO fell the that way!!!!!!:\:

For 1800 they will be losing money for some time at that rate.
However i think i would have beat the estimates of 5K we might handle it for 1700 times 2 [we would take 2 days] plus 400 on the stump so 3800, 3900 ,4200 or above and id be giddy.
It is ashville though and prices are higher there.
Glad they are out of the loop for a spell.
You never know you might still get the job .
Looks like they are 10 % finished

Yo John i got one tomorrow 2400 for a tree on the house easy ,,,knock on wood,,,, 6 hours at most.
Go where the money is.

The Goobers are scary!

Gary, It is possible to get a full cord on a fullsize pickup. I don't have a pic but I'll explain how. Toss the bed almost full. With the bed filled just under the level of the rails start stacking around the edge of the bed with the chunks resting on the tossed wood and the rail and extending several inches over the side.having the bed less than completely filled lets you get a little angle inward so that the stacks don't fall off on the first turn. (It is pretty easy to stack 20-24 inch wood in a stable formation with plenty of overhang-16inch stove wood is a pain in the behind). Stack wood to the level of the top of the cab, toss the center full and slightly mounded above the stacked wood. If you stack carefully and really push it you can get a cord and a quarter on---- but a cord is a big load and any more starts getting less stable. A 1/2 ton will be grossly overloaded with any decent variety of wood. a 3/4 ton overloaded but steering okay and a 1 ton will be happy. I put measured cords on pickups many times. It is entirely doable without high sideboards.

Yep it can be done just the way you explained it Justin.

A firewood customer of mine who picks up his wood does it like that, like stacking a hay rack, plus he leaves the gate down and stacks on that. He has a regular 3/4 ton truck but it is a 4x4. It gets to be a game every winter as to how much I can cut and split verses how much he can haul about every two weeks during the heating season, he heats his whole house with a big wood stove. I always kick myself for not charging him enough, but he likes the wood 24" and split chunky and he is not fussy about species, it works out I guess he keeps warm and I get rid of marginal wood that I probaly couldn't sell anyway. That truck looks like a big wood pile going down the road.

Firewood?...... no way......TFB(too f'in big)

$1800 let 'em have it :lol: , I bet in another day or two or more they're gonna be feeling pretty stupid.

Bivy,

Are these the kind of guys that pop up after you have those storms come through and think that is all there is to being in the tree biz, picking up and cleaning up after windthrow trees. Looks like it anyway.

I wouldn't think there would be that much of a firewood market down there where you live ????

Bivy,

Are these the kind of guys that pop up after you have those storms come through and think that is all there is to being in the tree biz, picking up and cleaning up after windthrow trees. Looks like it anyway.

Reminds me of another major pet peeve of mine. And one of the biggest reasons I prefer subbing instead of dealing with homeowners. Today's customer (along with yesterday's customer, and the day before's customer) said to me "I bet you're wishing for a good hurricane season this year!" Jeezus H Kerist, that pisses me off to no end! Hurricane work is for the fukkinhg trash collectors to come out of the woodwork and gouge people for picking up broken trees off the ground! I'm not a trash collector, I'm an arborist! Why would I want to see more trees destroyed by hurricanes? I literally cried after seeing some beautiful old oak hammocks devastated two years ago. When people have the gall to suggest that I thrive on busting up trees and picking up trash, it kills me.

OK, I'm done bitching now. Back to your previous thread. :|:

I know the feeling, annoying as hell isn't it when people say that to you. I'd starve to death waiting for the wind to blow, I hate doing storm work as it is, working on wind mangled trees is the worst kind of tree work.

Some folks bids are so low it makes me feel like taking a few days off, set up a lawn chair across the street and watch the show.

Car me clazy but.... That tree looks like less than 3 days for me alone......and my friendly firewood guy with the grapple loader to get the wood on the 3rd day.

I hear you justin. I would do a tree like that in a day with 2 guys - but thats providing I can get my grapple truck up to it
Rear mounted grapple = lots of reach for clearing windblown trees.

The rake in the pic is precious. Where's the Duelin' Banjos music when you need it ?

DAy three NO PROGRESS,........ We will see what tommorrow brings. Today was 65 and sunny, I guess those bubbas are sleeping off a METH buzz.:/: Meanwhile we did 12 takedowns and upsold a pruning job. I wonder if I'll get the call for back up..................:D

I think you will either get a call back soon , if not they will deff. call you next time.
Live and learn for those bros.

DAY FIVE, here's the action vid. Dude in orange is an OX. Interview to come....:D
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLsrI_uaGQU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLsrI_uaGQU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Yep, dude has a 800$ a month yellow page ad, which says owners supervises every job,... yep he sits on his ass. The were friendly hard working dudes though. Happy to talk with me,.... I wished them all the best. They plan on cutting all of it up for firewood.:\: This may turn into a two week ordeal!!!! I guess I won't be bidding against them in the short term.Here they are.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDNJh8o93I4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDNJh8o93I4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Back