• Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
how bout a thousand dollar model? :O

The uber swiss army knife

16999.jpg

The problem with those multitool combos is the weight and you almost have to carry them in a belt pouch. The wenger standard issue is amazingly slim and trim. You hardly know it's in your pocket. I agree it is hard to get out of your pocket when wearing a saddle though.

I broke my Benchmade prying staples out of a wooden post of a barb wire fence.

Broke my Gerber gaining entry to a gate blocking a drive.

I’ve got a few pocket knives and recently went down the WorkSharp Precision adjust Elite kit for getting thing razor sharp.

Whilst watching various Youtube vids about usage there seemed a lot of vids on the bugout. So I decided to get one ordered and then something gs to pimp it up a bit.

I grabbed the standard blue handled bugout with the S30v blade but ordered new titanium scales from Flytanium, based in Utah.

Knife arrived the other day and it is pretty nice but a bit underwhelming with the plastic type handle. Will be much better with the new scales fitted when they arrive.

CA98E40E-9D5A-4E3A-91E5-03D4C1687868.jpeg C562EEB8-7E94-4CAC-8D22-3E46CC6556AB.jpeg

Plastic handles aren't sexy, but it's a good use of plastic. They're durable and cheap. You should checkout some of Mora's offerings. I've come to really like having fixed blade knives on me, and Mora has some of the best bang/buck knives available. Dunno what the legal aspect is over there, but I'd be surprised if something like the Eldris was verboten. It's small, functional, and cheap. For a bigger blade, I really like the Companion. That's standard when I'm geared up for work.

beautiful knife, Rich.

Fine price on that knife, Scott

Great old thread!

this gets it done for me day in, day out

A friend gave me this knife recently, he loves it and it's a cool knife at a fine low price but for me, a knife which has no other tools just doesn't work

If I could have only one knife, it would be the Swiss Army Champ. I've built/repaired more stuff with that knife than most (non tradesman)people have with all the tools they own. I don't use the actual knife much anymore, cause I prefer a fixed blade, but the tools are often used.

@cory

I have a similar Swiss army soldiers knife. Half serated and in green, but other than that the same.

I have quite a few knives, a couple of Buck’s, which I got razor sharp with henew system I purchased.

what does everyone use to touch up their blade?

I really like the Swiss Army Tinker knife because it has a small pliers that is very useful. Benchmade is my preferred choice.

Arkansas whetstone. Medium on my cruder knives or for heavy damage, hard for a fine edge.

Arkansas whetstone. Medium on my cruder knives or for heavy damage, hard for a fine edge.

I use the one in the clip. The WorkSharp precision adjust elite. I can get knifes shaving sharp pretty easily with it. I have done most of my kitchen knives, hunting ones, camping knives and folders.

Hardest part is remembering the degrees of the edge for the different blades.

I doubt my precision is as good as those machines, and aside from my Moras(Scandi grind), it probably varies over time. I can get shaving sharp. Before I quit shaving, I used a straight razor for about 30 years. Water stone and strop to care for it. I could also get my Swiss army sharp enough to shave if I needed touching up on the go. I'm half blind, so sometimes I noticed parts I missed on final inspection in the truck or something. A few seconds of stone work, and I could get it with my knife :^D

I'm partial to the Kershaw's anymore IMG_20220903_133719065.jpg
I have several different Kershaw's this is my favorite
It was part of a Christmas pack of 6 knives for 12.00
I bought 4 packs just to get this knives
The others I gave as gift's.
I have 4 years on this one still works as new.

I'm partial to the Kershaw's anymore View attachment 123217
I have several different Kershaw's this is my favorite
It was part of a Christmas pack of 6 knives for 12.00
I bought 4 packs just to get this knives
The others I gave as gift's.
I have 4 years on this one still works as new.

That reminds me of one of my Real Steel Knives. H9 Takin Teal. The teal bit is a limited run. One of my friends brothers runs a knife shop and whenever I spotted something I liked on his instagram I would get it. This is a beast though. much too big for EDC but a lovely knife all the same.

Benchmade Bugout and Buck Reddot for size comparison. 8390EE6B-A15C-4E3F-923D-F7B1258726FF.jpeg

Then Cory's favourite in green. I picked up a lovely Opinel No8 Rescue knife with lanyard and whistle a few months ago. It was given away at a climbing comp as a prize. Found it online for about 20 USD. It was bought as a rescue knife for work but we went camping this summer and Haakon took the edge right off it whittling some stone dead pine.

Getting an edge back on it was actually the reason I bought the Work Sharp tool. Now it is back to hair splitting sharp.

99029207-502D-44C8-940C-E2B5F21DFD7D.jpeg 64319445-6112-4156-8CC4-2E661D34BAEB.jpeg

I always liked the look of the Opinels, and have come close to buying one, but just couldn't think of a place for it. I recently lost my Leatherman. I had made a post where I replaced a hinge with a copper rivet. I mainly used it for the pliers at work. I replaced it with a folding version I had bought my father. Not many tools, but it has the fullsize pliers, and I keep it unfolded in the sheath.

Back