grinding chipper knives

Slightly off topic but when I worked at the Ski Area I took home chains that were discarded. Some were junk but most had some life left if willing to file (correctly as opposed to last user) Quite a few were one use discards , usually ground into rock probably Quartz. I bet discard one use chipper knives would be of value to someone out there. Not cheap to buy probably the super hard steel grade.

Slightly off topic but...

39smq.gif

Blacksmiths would love to get their hands on used ones, all they are is high carbon steel. Perfect for lots of projects, and are thick enough in cross section to draw out for most objects.

I have always thought so as well Kyle. You should see the Anvil on my machine.. I think it is around 5/8ths thick 10-12'' by 6 or so. Guy could have fun with this stuff and a forge.

Well I went to change my chipper knives yesterday...now I have a Band-Aid on my finger. Turns out my idea of not sharp is still sharp enough to cut my finger.
I had the old ones off and resting nearby, too close, was tightening up the bolts on the fresh ones and the spanner slipped, my finger hit the edge of the old knife...ouch.

What I find a little frustrating is that really only half of the edge of the knife gets battered and dull...the inner half is usually still pretty good, but you never get to use the whole edge...

Oh, you are so mean, laughing at my distress...see I can't even type properly with a Band-Aid on my fingie...I know how Stig feels now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, Fi. I fully understand. Your finger with a Band-Aid equals Stig's wrist broken in 4 places. You're right, how could anybody ever be so insensitive!
:lol:

I have used the same two sets for over ten years. Due for a change, now.

I have spun the hex-shaped anvil each time.

You still need a fresh edge on your anvil.

New compared to sharpened-used is about triple the cost, minus anvil adjusting labor, and two trips to the hardware store.

There is a spec on minimum blade dimension.

Sharpening industrial cutting knives is a normal thing to do.

If you have a bunch of dull, formerly new, sets, they will all get sharpened to approximately the same size, within the wiggle room of the anvil gap, likely.

This will mean if you have 3 sets of blades, you can change your anvil to a fresh edge and rotate 3 sets without adjusting the anvil, IF your anvil is square enough.

Mine is hexagonal, and needs rotation each time I change blades. I'm anal about not putting rocks in the chipper, like not running a saw onto concrete or rocks. I think I get more yards of chips per sharpening than average. I don't trust anyone else to change them. It's not as simple, and straightforward as modern chippers. Way not- foolproof.

OK, Fi. I fully understand. Your finger with a Band-Aid equals Stig's wrist broken in 4 places. You're right, how could anybody ever be so insensitive!
:lol:

Finally SOMEONE understands!! Oh the drama...the persecution...the vindication...

Poor Fi:lol:

I always wear gloves when changing chipper blades.
I'm skeered of the new one, they are scary sharp.
Never thought of being careful with the old one, but I will now.

Back