Chipper knives sharpening vid

BOTS

TreeHouser
This is a pretty good vid on getting knives touched up.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YquXiXqA0iA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great post, Scott. I didn't know you could touch em up with a file, but now that I think about it... hell yeah! Just stay on top of it and don't do it when they're too dull...

Ok, so if I understood they say actually take the edge off it a bit with the file, makes sense I guess.
I've used a lapping wheel on an angle grinder in a pinch.
Why. Did he have. To talk. Like. That.?

He had, to speak, slowly, with excessive, punctuation, so that, anti-hunting commies, could understand. ;)

I can't imagine passing a file to take the edge off. It doesn't make sense to me - dulling the blade.
I'm puzzled too Butch. Even if this does work, it won't hold an edge long. I have one of these carbide sharpening tools with the Kevlar glove and only used it once, can't make a full stroke on the knife edge while bolted to the chipper wheel.

I use the carbide knife sharpener thingy every know and again works well for touch ups. I don't get the file thing.

That knife sharpener works well, but only on sharp blades. You'll wear it out prematurely if you try to sharpen dull blades.

I use the carbide knife sharpener thingy every know and again works well for touch ups. I don't get the file thing.
Its funny how the video says its important not to put a back bevel on the cutting edge with the file. But I found with the carbide tool with the V slot it does put a back bevel on the chipper knives one bevel edge.
That carbide sharpener I have used on my kitchen knives which are double beveled edged.

I thought he was saying to flatten the top to smooth out bumps, then hit it with the sharpening tool to put the edge back on.

How does one determine if the knives need to he sharpened vs discarded and replaced?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought he was saying to flatten the top to smooth out bumps, then hit it with the sharpening tool to put the edge back on.

How does one determine if the knives need to he sharpened vs discarded and replaced?

love
nick

Yes, what Nick said and touch it up with a #10 file as well, thats how I do mine, sharp as could be...I get some nice chips as you know ;)

Its funny how the video says its important not to put a back bevel on the cutting edge with the file. But I found with the carbide tool with the V slot it does put a back bevel on the chipper knives one bevel edge.
That carbide sharpener I have used on my kitchen knives which are double beveled edged.

I tilt the sharpener and that helps keep the double bevel to a minimum.

I do their bastard file trick on my knives, it really does work! I started on my 65xp and now my 150xp and there is a noticeable difference in wear... at least in my experience so far.

I file off the edge too, my knives last for 4-6 months at least.

I don't either Butch. Final filing of the edge at a more abrupt angle to have less taper at the very edge to help prevent bending and breakout of the edge makes sense to me. Filing the sharp edge OFF by running the file 90 degrees to the edge seems.......stoopid

I don't really understand, although I intimated I did to avoid looking daft! Why don't the manufacturers do this in the first place?
4 to 6 months on knives is a pretty impressive stat.

No, google can do that for me.

I'm not understanding the 'I intimated I did to avoid looking daft' part of your sentence.

Back