I Love Knives!

I lost my "Old Timer" about a year ago and couldn't find a US made carbon steel replacement .I did however find a US carbon steel Case XX stockmen style .It's a tool and a damned sharp one .

Good pic, Ray. I asked the knife shop owner about the nub/button on the sheath, he wasn't sure what it is for either, thought it might be to attach another, smaller sheath with different tool in it.

I lost my "Old Timer" about a year ago and couldn't find a US made carbon steel replacement .I did however find a US carbon steel Case XX stockmen style .It's a tool and a damned sharp one .
Al, I've owned them from a boy but the price on Case knives nowadays is criminal. Whatever the market will bear I guess. I was given a yellow handled one as a retirement gift when I left the power company and it's a fine one but I almost hate to use it. Skinned a pile of critters with Old Timer knives too. The 194ot was my favorite, a small single lock blade trapper. I never was impressed with their "sharp finger" knives even though I still own a couple, they just don't seem to hold an edge.

Good pic, Ray. I asked the knife shop owner about the nub/button on the sheath, he wasn't sure what it is for either, thought it might be to attach another, smaller sheath with different tool in it.

Some work trousers here have a small narrow Knife pocket on the side of them.It has a button hole on it.You push the knife sheath into it,the button on the sheath fits through the hole so when you draw the knife,the sheath stays in place.

The Case xx carbon steel was about 40 bucks ,flea bay .It will last a lifetime if you dodn't lose the damned thing like I did.

Some work trousers here have a small narrow Knife pocket on the side of them.It has a button hole on it.You push the knife sheath into it,the button on the sheath fits through the hole so when you draw the knife,the sheath stays in place.
The mystery is solved, thank you!

Birthday present from my little bro, SGB Alleycat. To make it affordable, I guess the blades are made in Germany and the rest is assembled in Taiwan. So far it’s holding an edge very well. Can see the little dot left from them doing the hardness test :)
I also have carried the same Leatherman Wave for the last 16 years. Excellent multi tool, I use it multiple times everyday and can’t speak highly enough about it. 5D6D80F3-64E4-4020-B864-B9240299754A.jpeg

I want to make one of these -

2676688.jpg
!!!!

Here's a cool video I saw elsewhere. It's a little long, but worth a watch...

I have always had a love for knives. Just a couple that I had forgotten were in my bag.

Brusletto Dangler. Sharp as hell and a present a few years ago from the FIL.

Real Steel H9 Takin. Again sharp as hell but a folding locker.

One of the better knives I have, Cory posted as his everyday carry. Swiss officers knife. That thing has been used a fair bit and is about 20 years old. I dont think I have sharpened it yet.

4DAF77A6-AFEA-48D6-9D36-5F91C46579D6.jpeg

That Brusletto is a good looking knife. This is my collection I regularly carry...

IMG_20190907_144314.jpg

I have a few others, and none are particularly exotic or special, but all are useful. I particularly like the Nordic knives with the Scandi grind. They take an edge like a razor, and are easy to sharpen.

One of the better knives I have, Cory posted as his everyday carry. Swiss officers knife. That thing has been used a fair bit and is about 20 years old. I dont think I have sharpened it yet.
Yes indeed, the One Handed Trekker is awesome imo. The awl is superb for cleaning out allen bolt-heads for stump tooth changing and also for humanoid dental work, the saw is perfect for cutting a few stray small roots leftover on a stump grinding job and for cutting that stray sucker that escaped the chain saw as you are approaching the front door for a check, the knife is good for all knife things, the screw driver great for prying, the tooth pick is great for it's stated purpose

Great looking knives, Lxsklr and Rich. Speaking of razor sharp, what do ya'll prefer for sharpening?

I use Arkansas stones. Medium for general sharpening, and hard for a final edge/touchup. I have a water stone I use for my straight razor, but I hardly shave anymore, and just strop it.

I sharpen a chain saw to a 'razor edge' but knives, I'm just meh at.

I've found I'm better using a small stone, and moving the stone over the blade, as opposed to a bench stone, where you move blade over the stone. Just run circles on the blade, maintain angle, and sharpen both sides equally.

Something like this is a good stone, and affordable...

That's perfectly satisfactory for a working pocket knife. If you want to take it a bit farther, you can also get a hard stone to finish the edge. You can go even harder than that using other materials, but I see little utility in doing that other than for bragging rights, or a very special use blade. I used to use oil on the stone, but I've stopped doing that, and my results are fine, with less mess. Just wash off with soap and water when done. It should probably be washed every time, but I end up doing it every 2-3 times. Lazy... :^D

edit:
Saw this below the listing I linked. Both hard and soft for just a bit more than a single stone...

Back