Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
I like fixed blade knives for work and safety. The whole idea is being fast and easy to deploy. If you have to dick around with biners, retaining straps, and tight locations, your system's failed. That fixed blade he showed in the video looked like a good choice. I carried a blunt tipped Remora lashed to my pfd while paddling. Very tight and sure holding mechanism, but very fast to deploy in a stressful situation(I never had one of those). Nothing is 100% foolproof, but my knife, and the one video guy showed is close enough to call it good enough.

I wear my Mora climbing, and it dangles below my saddle. I consider that good enough for what I do. I'm either working alone, or with one other person. If I had a ground crew under me all the time, I'd likely get something different. I've never lost it climbing, but I lost it's predecessor while on the ground when it got grabbed by some brush. It's a very uncommon problem, but common enough to warrant concern when there's someone it can fall on from height.
You don't want to have to search the brush for it before/ while chipping.

$11 knife is on the way.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about it. The time I lost the one I lost, I was in brush a mini excavator couldn't really get through. Those were extreme circumstances. You can't worry about everything. There's no such thing as perfect. There's good enough for the task at hand, and a balance of risk vs reward. For every knife I drop near the chipper, there'll be a vine tangle that needs to be quickly cut. If a knife goes through the chipper, I'll have to assess the damage, and proceed accordingly. Just another hassle to resolve, and damaged knives are on the easier end of hassle spectrum.

I saw this off-grid company on YouTube
Never heard of them i always liked this blade shape high flat grind
So i ordered one IMG_20240406_185936.jpg
This is the tracker x2 IMG_20240406_190111~2.jpg
I liked it so much i ordered another IMG_20240406_190034.jpg IMG_20240406_190044~2.jpg
The ridgeback
IMG_20240406_190203.jpg
The ridgeback is longer and thinner than the tracker.
Both well made and extremely sharp out of the box.

Nice!

I just ordered 4 knives myself today:\:;):|::rockon:

So the victorinox one hand trekker is the best knife for me, so far. It works great all around and also for many treework related tasks. Really the only drawback I've found with it is that if it gets soaked in salt water it understandably gets a bit cranky, hard to open, maybe some fledgling rust on the blade. This led me to sometimes putting it in a plastic bag in my pocket when on the beach or SUPing, which is of course a bit silly and a pita. Washing/oiling following exposure is a pita. So despite that I would far prefer to have one knife for full time carry, I figured I'd look into a knife made for salt water conditions. My friendly amazon store set me up with the following knives which all had rave reviews. I splurged and figured they are returnable so why not.

The top 2 are spyderco 'byrd' knives, it's their economy line. The (1) orange Cara 2 rescue ($41) and (2) black Meadowlark 2 ($39).

And (3) spyderco rescue 79mm ($94). And (4) an economy knockoff type knife Maxam 5" saltwater knife ($22). The one hand trekker is (#5).

The cara 2 is a nice large size, definitely a keeper. The meadowlark is nice but a bit small, I'll stash it where it might come in handy sometime. The Spyderco rescue is also a tad small but the 'fit and finish' is definitely top shelf. The Maxam for the price is definitely a winner. I'd say it and the spyderco rescue are the best and if I had to choose one I'd give the nod to the 23$ Maxam. :rockon:

edit: They were all quite sharp, the spyderco being the sharpest and the meadowlark being least so.

Last edited:
Spyderco makes good stuff. For many years my Ms. M carried a little bitty one on her keychain. I don't know the model; I'm sure it's at least 25 years old, if not more. Good small blade.

A 1 1/2-inch blade in the right spot would back most bad guys right off.

Something like this, but with a black resin handle. Maybe not in their line-up anymore.

Insidious isn't it? Knives, rope, and chainsaws... They all take real effort to keep from accumulating more. I was looking at wesspur's rope ends yesterday. Thought I might want another 16strand lanyard, cause the other 5+ lanyards I have just aren't enough :^S

The annoying thing for me is, I have as much of a penchant for watches as I have for knives.

GShocks in particular. I like the designs of them and they are rugged and tested for work. I have about 8 of them.

I also love some of the classics, I find myself watching watch restoration videos on YouTube. The movement and design of movements is pretty cool…. Great viewing if you need to get to sleep.

Now, I either have to by a new watch or scratch the old itch and get a new knife.

Watches are cool. I especially like the 100% mechanical watches. I have a Swiss made pocket watch my father gave me years ago. It's not particularly valuable, but it keeps great time, and I like that it doesn't require batteries. I hardly ever carry it. Since cellphones became a thing, I don't really use watches anymore.

Gshocks are great functional watches. My first one lasted >10 years on the same battery. The rubber casing rotted off, and it was still going. The carcass is around here somewhere. I'm sure it would still work if I put a battery in it.

I am after a Swiss movement watch at the moment. Almost got a 2nd hand Tudor Dive watch but missed out.

I think I will get a hand built watch from a British company Elliot Brown. Built to pay for the UK SF.

Todays GShock offering is one of their MR-G line. Hand built by a select number of workers at a special facility.

It wasn’t cheap but I bought it after I sold my fathers property when he passed.

IMG_8524.jpeg

Nice pic!

U gonna watch ufc 3 hundo tonite? Most stacked card in the history of combat sports

I bought my great nephew and his fiancee their wedding gifts IMG_20240417_142956.jpg
IMG_20240417_142914.jpg
It was only like 60 bucks for both of them
I've never held a srk before
Very comfortable knives and everyone seems positive about them
I heard one of the military branches carried a version of these. IMG_20240418_111352.jpg

Last edited:
A knife nut buddy of mine has those in black, he definitely loves them. 60$ for both sounds like a steal

A knife nut buddy of mine has those in black, he definitely loves them. 60$ for both sounds like a steal
The rubber handles really aren't my thing but are very comfortable i know they'll do great for them hunting or whatever in the woods
They both deer hunt.

I'm working on getting a sharpening system that is affordable and effective.

This guy can probably help. A flat stone is great for many but not the best for me personally

I ordered a couple of everything like those 10" steels were like 140-150.00
Got plenty of christmas gifts.

Back