Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
I think so. I love their knives, and I consider the Companion essential carry at this point. They aren't the sexiest knives with all the plastic and rubber, but they're very well made and functional at almost disposable prices. It's not a huge heartbreak if one gets lost or something.

It's been a while since I bought a new knife. These days, I seldom see one that is handsome enough to tempt me.

Damascus steel with the grain showing strongly, in a more traditionally shaped blade, and a wood or antler handle...that is the sort that catches my eye.

Any suggestions, peeps?

Not Damascus, but puukkos are very traditional, and range from plain to fancy. It's what I like in a fixed blade...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=puukko

edit:
It's not traditional, but Damascus puukkos exist...

It's worth poking around etsy. Amongst the mass produced stuff some people sell, they have some unique handmade items too.

Last edited:
I see Mr Czed mostly only posts in the Guns or Knives threads... Guns or Knives.....made me think of this classic scene

My grandad, Big Jim Allen, gave me a few very nice things before he passed. Here's two: IMG_20231114_074840191_HDR.jpg IMG_20231114_074940251_HDR.jpg

That Buck knife is almost 70 years old, and that's the original case! The second knife, the Rigid Ripper was Grandad's skinner, sharp on the backside of the point too. Either of these two blades have flayed more of the "King's deer" than most folks will ever see. He was an incredibly prolific poacher/hunter. His philosophy was that hunting season starts when the freezer gets empty.

I see Mr Czed mostly only posts in the Guns or Knives threads... Guns or Knives.....made me think of this classic scene

I cut tree's down but I don't climb anything not many threads here for me. IMG_20201104_170948.jpg
I was disappointed with those sencuts i bought recently
Nice gentleman pocket sized knives
But too small for me
I'm giving them out as Christmas gifts to a couple of girl's

Now these i really like i bought a green and a brown IMG_20231117_123621.jpg
IMG_20231117_123607.jpg
If nothing else the chinese make ergonomic knives
These just fit perfectly and are a good size.
I have 10-50.00 china knives from and can't tell any difference in build quality
They all lock up tight and are smooth to operate.

Last edited:
It's not a new knife, but a favorite I've been looking for over a month now. Found it this morning under a clump of paracord. I'm also missing a clump of paracord, but not the one from this morning, so I still have searches to look forward to :^D

IMG_20231122_091353791_HDR.jpg

My grandad, Big Jim Allen, gave me a few very nice things before he passed. Here's two: View attachment 133612View attachment 133613

That Buck knife is almost 70 years old, and that's the original case! The second knife, the Rigid Ripper was Grandad's skinner, sharp on the backside of the point too. Either of these two blades have flayed more of the "King's deer" than most folks will ever see. He was an incredibly prolific poacher/hunter. His philosophy was that hunting season starts when the freezer gets empty.
I have 4 buck 110s someone in my family gave me one each year starting in 1985
For Christmas
That had to be the most popular knife for decade's here everybody had one.

Friend, I haven't seen one on anyone's hip in years. When I do carry mine, the very dry leather case stays at home, since the belt loop is almost rotted out. I goes in a secure pocket, but for the most part just stays home. The Rigid comes with any time I plan to murder something beautiful, which is to say not very often anymore.

It's been a while since I bought a new knife. These days, I seldom see one that is handsome enough to tempt me.

Damascus steel with the grain showing strongly, in a more traditionally shaped blade, and a wood or antler handle...that is the sort that catches my eye.

Any suggestions, peeps?
Buy a Damascus blank and grind one out?

I am sure I don't have the skills for a project like that. But it would be a great thing to be able to say, "I made this".
You can get Mora knife blanks very reasonably. Might be a fun project, and if it doesn't work out, it cost less than a $20 bill. Birch is traditional, but you could also go with something like antler, or bog oak would be really cool, but maybe better for the second knife after you perfect the technique.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mora+knife+blank

I am sure I don't have the skills for a project like that. But it would be a great thing to be able to say, "I made this".

It don't take much, I made this little thing years ago, it's the only "knife" I've made that hasn't been stolen. It started life as a 16 penny bright finish framing nail. I cold forged it using a 20lb sledge hammer as an anvil. All profiling and finishing was done with files. Grips appear riveted at first glance, but it's actually two part epoxy adhesive, that was injected into a portion of drinking straw. The "rivets" are two small pieces of Brad nail, run through two holes in the tang of the blade.
I "heat treated" it with a map gas torch and sharpened it with carbide sharpener intended for archery broadheads. Not my best work, but it still exists, and shows that it can be done lol. 20231124_204214.jpg

I picked amazon for convenient purchase, but you should be able to find a wider selection of blades from a dedicated knife store. Hard to go wrong with the #1 carbon steel though.

That is something I would love to do Mike.

Unfortunately, I have neither the time or the tools.

One day maybe.

You need:
Some paper
A marker pen
A angle grinder
A bench mounted sander and about 2 hours spare.
I have the acid you need to bring out the patterns in the steel.

You can buy Damas blanks from Wish for about $20 each.You are removing steel so gradually that you can easily see where you are going wrong.

Back