Hunting 2011

Good thing Burnham is a pacifist. Over here, anyone even remotely suggesting any other person's allegiance whatsoever with the chimps, it's fighting words. I mean when they aren't scrounging around for eats, they are either picking off bugs or playing with themselves. :roll:

Jay, living in the PNW doesn't make you a pacifist;)

Actually, people are generally pretty accepting of the primates by design. The babies are cute, I will grant that. Unfortunately, the chimps grow up and turn into incomparable thieves, raiding orchards and fields in mass. They have to qualms about taking your lunch right out of your hand if you aren't looking. The real problem, Dave, is that there are just too many of them. Normally people think them too close to humans in ancestry to hunt, so permission is usually only given when the numbers have grown into some kind of chaos. They can work through a rice field stripping plants quite quickly. Lots of orchards have gone to electric fences. Don't feed the monkeys! The tourists still do. Still, it is apparent that the monkeys dislike humans, no matter the circumstances. There is concern as well when the monkeys are around and so are young children. Especially the males are large and quite strong. I've had one come after me when cycling, trying to bite my leg. A rather persistent fellow, I suspect a young male trying to impress the ladies. They have some big ol' teeth and can open their mouths quite wide. You sure wouldn't want to get bit.

Ha! If I'm riding in monkey territory I'm often packing...a squirt gun filled with something caustic. So far I haven't had to use it.

Is the side of the road cleared back far enough so the monkeys can't ambush you?

I got ambushed by a Shepherd when I was a teen. Night time, he laid in the ditch till I passed, came up from behind, and put some good teeth into my leg. I was afraid for some time, till I got mad and made a club. The dog never came out again.

The monkeys are in the mountains generally, except when making their raids. The mountains often have jungle close up to the road edge. Sometimes they will be up on a limb overhanging the road, and will try to shake stuff down on anyone passing below. It's one way they get their kicks. I really don't know what their problem is. Their brains are supposed to taste pretty good.

From 21st to the 26th of November, I'll be Black Powder hunting for whitetail here in Southern Ontario. This will mark my 15th year hunting with black powder. I've taken 14 deer in the past 14 years & enjoyed every moment of being in the woods! Thing is, there are so many deer where I hunt, it's hard not to have at least a few good opportunities to harvest one.

I leave this Monday and with any luck, I hope to fill my tage once again for the 2011 Controlled Hunt,(Black Powder Only season).

So how about the rest of you guys, anyone care to show some more hunting pictures???

Lets see them. :)

Bob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seasons been open a week and my tree stand is in the back of the truck for the first time. Eat your heart out, this working non sense has kept me outta the woods far too long, i'm going out for the morning tomorrow! And i'm taking the first legal buck to come through as next weekend will likely be all the time I have this late season:(

Got this one late last nite, about 530 our time. Would have been an 8 pt but broke both brow tines. He'd just gotten done doing his 'business' w/ one of the does he was with....I hope it was good!

100_0905.jpg

100_0906.jpg

PS: sorry about the blood, it was too dark last nite to take pics so i took them today. not much choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okie, I don't mind the bloody pix but I understand some people's view of "tasteful" pix. It really does make a nicer photo if the time is taken to put the toungue back in and arrange the animal to minimize the "gore". Ive done both and will continue to take pix both ways (heck, I have some gutting pix:lol:) but enjoy posting more of the arranged pix

There is a vegetarian in the house, but I think he might be used to human blood from when fighting.

I've killed my share of animals, Jay.
I am not a vegetarian because I think it is wrong to kill animals, but because I never could stand the taste of meat.

I used to raise beef, when we first bought the homestead.
When ever I had visitors from the US, I'd welcome them to the only vegetarian cattle ranch east of the Pecos river.

We don't brand cattle here, or a brand shaped like a head of broccoli would have been a fine touch.

Back