Hunting 2011

Actually, depending on where the animal is hit, an arrow can cause more blood loss than a rifle bullet. The broadheads are designed with a helical twist to them so that as they pass through flesh, they "spin" at least slightly, slicing and dicing meat, vessels, arteries, etc. Often, a rifle bullet will hit in such a way that it either fails to expand, or lacks the time/distance, and so basically poles a clean hole through the animal, often with the flesh "plugging" the hole, resulting in little blood loss.

I know some guys who guide for a fellow up in Canada every year, and they once told of a guy who shot a black bear. They trailed it a long, long way before finding it. Upon skinning it, they could find NO bullet hole. Upon closer inspection, they found the fellow had hit the bear in the foot, clipping a good vessel/artery, and he literally bled to death slowly.

I shot a 6-point once that was running straight away from me, downhill. I held carefully on the top of his skull, but he leaped a ditch just as I pulled the trigger. His rump came up just as the bullet got there. It knocked him a flip, and took a chunk out of his right ham as big as my two fists put together. He still ran 200 yards before bleeding out. It took dogs to find him. I was younger then...and stupid. I would not attempt a shot like that now, unless I were in dire need of the meat.

Arrows are devastating. Plus, they don't always pass through. When an animal runs with a broadhead in it, it causes major hemmoraging.

Perhaps hard to know for sure, but it appeared that the bear's first instinct was to turn and possibly confront whatever gave it the jolt. It seemed that when it saw the second guy, is when it decided to run. It didn't show if they had a rifle trained on it. With a missed shot, the bear could have made up the short distance to the shooter very quickly. He might have been a goner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That isn't a butt shot. It's a little far back to be ideal, could have been wind or just nerves that put him off target a little. Gut shot from the looks of it, hopefully it went down pretty quick

The thing about bow hunters going after big game that bothers me is that they ALWAYS have a rifle back-up, but still brag it up like they were only armed with bows.

At least the ones we have here.

I don't care for that either, Stig, though I understand their thinking. They want to take a dangerous game animal armed only with a bow, but realize the inherent danger of such a proposition, and so have a back-up shooter to help offset catastrophe should something go wrong. I don't guess I'll ever go bear hunting, but if I did, I'd want a rifle. Period.

FWIW, when I am Bowhunting, I am Bow hunting. Every kill I have made has been a good clean kill shot. I injured a Whitetail doe once in my early yrs with a low shot. After I tracked that dear for two hours following blood the size of my pinky nail or smaller. I found her bedded near a small wetland and took the kill shot as she stood up. Granted I don't and won't hunt Elephant or Lion or the like but my one Black Bear hunt was Bow only and I didn't see a thing. When I am eight miles from camp hunting Elk in grizzly country I do carry a side arm but not to finish my Bowhunt.

I would bring a rifle, too, Scott.

What I'm bitching about are the Danish bowhunters that go to Canada or the US to hunt bear and brag it up about how brave they were, never mentioning the guy in the background with the .375 Holland&Holland.

Like you could find an outfitter anywhere that would put a 50 some year overweight Dane , armed with a bow and a belly full of beer, in front of a bear, without backup:lol:

Can one of ya'll bowhunters explain this injury to me? How does one do that to theirself? :?

Attachments

• 53fa906c947d03942c0f43bfd9cd4599.jpg
    53fa906c947d03942c0f43bfd9cd4599.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
I'm guessing drunk or goofing off showing how they could pull the arrow back on a 70+ bow and pulled the arrow off extended back rest some how and then released into hand holding bow

But it must have slipped off the string or it wouldn't be just sitting there?
That is the part I can't figure out.

My guess would be competition shooting accident. The finger would be darn near cut off if there was a broad head as would the hand have a much worse wound. When comp shooting most bows are tuned down to 30-40 lbs so you can hold on target longer and more accurately. A slip off the overdraw is a definite, he is holding the bow with his left hand so the arrow rest would be on the left side of the bow. I bet it didn't even hurt. Well not at first. I have always hated but respected that pic.

Oh I'm sure it hurt after that pic was taken and even more after the arrow was removed. And I didn't add, that that would be a complete pass through if that bow was turned up.

None of my broadheads would have left that flap of skin on the finger. He bound to have been shooting shorts off an overdraw. My broadheads just barely come back to my hand. No way I could do that with my setups.

July 9 and that means they are still growing. Another running around just like it except 8 same width and tine length.

deer2012.jpg

I'm calling the game warden! I reserve that spot for my hunting only! :D

Nice buck. Don't see many like that, at least not around here.

Back