Hunting 2011

our archery deer season opend oct 1. while ive archery hunted in the past, i didnt take time to go to the woods and get my stands ready this yr. our black powder season opens this sat and im hoping to make it out sat nite or sun am. it runs 9 days. our traditional rifle opens nov 19 and runs 16 days.

My client today was hunting deer on his other property today with his cousin. They also have permission for hunting on other lads close by. 120 acres here and 80 there etc. Bound to get something this year. Did not hear any shots while we were working on the old homestead.

Dad sent me some pics from my feeder on my land southern Ohio.

Maybe if he makes it a few more years he will get some mass to him.

deee2011.jpg

that is spending the day in the house ;)

I wouldnt go out in any area that might be a huntiing zone during open season, way too many hunters and too much strong Canadian beer.

Do they usually file charges in hunting accidents? It would be hell to live with having killed someone by mistake. At least a person guilty of that should probably not be allowed to hunt anymore.

That sucks. Every time I hear of a hunter shooting a human, "in the brush" I can't understand it. The guy who died and his friend are from about 40 minutes up the road from me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a bad deal. Oregon has a pretty good track record for hunter safety compared to alot of other states. Un acceptable.

On the brite side...... Scott, post that guy up!

Most tragic story I remember was a guy shot and killed his son rustling in the brush. Then he shot himself. Happened in my area.

I pass up shots that aren't clean kills just so I don't have to track a wounded deer for miles.

My neighbors garage got hit by a deer slug. It was some hunters I know that shot/wounded a Shepherd sized Bambi. I caught them on my land tracking this tiny little wounded thing. Later my neighbor noticed the slug hit. They denied, denied, and denied. Aint buyin it. My neighbor posted up and caught one of the guys the next year. He told him that was strike 2 and next time he calls the law.

People can be such douche bags.

A true sportsman will NEVER take a shot unless he is sure of his target, and the backdrop is safe.

I have taken quite a few running shots at game and will do so again, I'm sure. Nothing ridiculous, mind you, but reasonable shots at running deer aren't that uncommon. I have killed deer at up to 200 yards while they were running. I'd much rather they stand still and pose, but often they haven't read the script.:D

I agree about the backstop issue. Folks are way too quick to shoot without giving a thought for where that bullet will end up. A definite advantage to hunting from a tree stand is that you normally are shooting at a downward angle, thereby toward the ground. And we don't have that many hilltop shots here, so don't have to worry about them too much.

I got out of my truck in Northern California and shortly thereafter a few shotgun pellets hit it. It was Mike, the neighbor's boy. Mike was the coolest kid, but he always had his mind wrapped around hunting something fierce. He was shooting up on a ridge above. I had a talk with him later.

a6890e12-4abe-d62b.jpg

Got this small 6 point Saturday evening.

I was watching a larger deer in a bean field. Lost track of him in a depression of the field. Flipped my bleat can to get his attention. This fellow came charging head on towards my stand. Stopping at about 40 yards to look. I watched him for 20 min. It was either spook him getting out of the stand or make him dinner next week..

He weighed 120 pounds. Which is fair size given the population we have in SC.

Shot him in the chest,slightly right.

That picture is terrible, sorry guys. Very big body on the fellow. I passed a spike up last night that was about the same size as this guy. Had I been bow hunting last night, it would be a different post!

Shot this coyote at 8:00 this morning. I was sitting by the woodstove drinking coffee when she came out of the woods into the edge of the yard. 95 yards/.22 magnum. OSOK.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 42
Back