Hunting 2015

Beautiful birds Scott and a fine looking over/under as well. In all my hunting and shooting, I've never owned or even fired one. Looks like they're marked the same, are they all males?

Those are the native partridge we have here, Perdix perdix
Why they are called Hungarian in Montana I don't know.
They are indeed supposed to be really good eating.

Sadly they are in heavy decline here. Their life style doesn't agree with modern agriculture.
I have two pairs on and around my property and have made a deal with the guys I let hunt on my land for free, that as payment they leave the partridges here and on the neighbouring lands where the have hunting leases, alone.
Deal is, if I ever catch them with a dead partridge, they lose the right to hunt my land.
Since my lower field is where they shoot most of the deer, when they come out of the wood to graze, I think the partridges are safe, here:D

When I lived in MT there was a bird there I called a sage hen. Any ideas? Was like a dumb grouse to me. I could pick them off with rocks when we were out hunting, fishing at camp.

Now these ruffled grouse we have here in Ohio are a whole different ballgame. Even with shotgun and flush right in front of you. :O

The other birds up here are Sage grouse, and sharptailed grouse.

The sage grouse and the Sharpies are very stoooopid. Sage being the dumbest. Yep, you could kill them with a rock. They used to eat a lot of them, not because they taste good, but because they were plentiful and dumb.

The old saying is that you could sneak up on them and kill them with a stick. Then you could eat the stick, because it tasted better than the sage hen.

sharp_tailed_grouse.jpg
sharpie

images
sage grouse

The old saying is that you could sneak up on them and kill them with a stick. Then you could eat the stick, because it tasted better than the sage hen.
:lol:
Jim, when we went up in the high country in Wyoming there was a bird they called a blue grouse. I haven't researched them but they showed very little fear or maybe were just stupid like your sage hen and those guys said they were good to eat. They sounded like a turkey when they took flight and would flap up onto a limb and look at you. If my shoulder had've been in better shape I believe I could've rocked one to sleep.

Beautiful birds Scott and a fine looking over/under as well. In all my hunting and shooting, I've never owned or even fired one. Looks like they're marked the same, are they all males?

The O/U is a Browning and is a 28ga. with 28" Barrels...super fast handling and great shot pattern for small gauge.

the quail are male and female, the look similar

We have the Sooty Blue Grouse here....You start to see em at around 6000ft and above and there super hard to hunt, they flush like a rocket, scares me everytime..lol

I got this one at 7000ft near the edge of the Royal Gorge canyon...second pic you can see the North Fork of the American river below

DQNkpEml.jpg

zn5WgnOl.jpg

We have some Sage Grouse here as well but in limited numbers...most are found near Mono County (south of Mono Lake off of HWY 395 and beyond

You have to put in for a drawing to hunt them...limit one bird with only 2 days to hunt them...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
PA ruffed grouse are the most challenging I've found yet. Skittish, jumpy, and even the best of pointers can get only get one pointed 40% of the time. Nothing like western and northern ruffs.

PA ruffed grouse are the most challenging I've found yet. Skittish, jumpy, and even the best of pointers can get only get one pointed 40% of the time. Nothing like western and northern ruffs.

Bet like here in the hills on my land. Scare the chit out of you on the flush and have a tree between you and them before the shot most times.

Nice shot placement. How far did he go before he dropped? Nice looking deer.

Sweet.

They already lost their racks here, most of them. The bigger one lost his before end of Dec. Out of 4 bucks seen Jan only ole slab still had his rack.

Very nice 'Bama buck. Beam tips almost touch, great brow tines and good looking backstraps! The rut should be kicking there right now. I like your deer retrieval device.

I killed a doe this evening to go in the freezer with the buck. My 20-year-old, who is engaged to a young man whose family runs a taxidermy/deer processing outfit, had her skinned, gutted and quartered in 35 minutes. I have told her many times in her life that she's the closest thing I ever had to a son...:D

Back