Hunting 2011

Not liking the taste of meat, it occurs that possibly you didn't eat much when young? I hear people here say that about the taste when meat was a rarity for them in their youth. My wife is kind of that way, but she will nibble at a steak and likes a Big mac every now and then. Venison stew she frowns at, but she will make it for me. :) Big on fish culture.

Nope, I was pretty much born that way.
My grandmother used to tell people that I was saying that it was not eatable when I was 3 years old.
Fish absolutely make me puke and fowl is almost as bad.

Good thing I like fruit and veggies:lol:

Nope, I was pretty much born that way.
My grandmother used to tell people that I was saying that it was not eatable when I was 3 years old.
Fish absolutely make me puke and fowl is almost as bad.

Good thing I like fruit and veggies:lol:

It's odd my daughter is the same, really quite dislikes most meats. We certainly don't force any on her and have told her we'll support her choice in the matter as long as she eats healthily. She unlike yourself is not so much in love with fruit or veggies either.

I on the otherhand am a true carnivore. I like the bloooood. Lol.

I go days without eating vegetables. My dad loves vegetables, has all his life, so I grew up eating them practically every meal. I determined that once I "grew up", I would NOT have vegetables every day, but LOTS of meat!

Only vegies I had yesterday, were a little coleslaw on a BBQ sammich and the fries that went with it. Then my wife made chicken enchiladas for supper....they had onions in them, if that counts. I could live on meat and 'taters....:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love most veggies, specially if they have a little blood to soak in

I shot two 4 pointers this year. The first one was with seth. it was his first year out. We shot him at 7:00 am opening morning. Seth was so happy we got him. The hole time we where letting him die he kept asking can we go see him every 5 minutes. So for the next morning he couldn't set passed 7:00 am. That was a early morning back to the cabin.

The last one was shot at about 4:00 pm monday night. I was not expecting to see anything my cold was acting up. But he walk right up the trail. I was the only one to see bucks and shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
I shot two 4 pointers this year. The first one was with seth. it was his first year out. We shot him at 7:00 am opening morning. Seth was so happy we got him. The hole time we where letting him die he kept asking can we go see him every 5 minutes. So for the next morning he couldn't set passed 7:00 am. That was a early morning back to the cabin.

The last one was shot at about 4:00 pm monday night. I was not expecting to see anything my cold was acting up. But he walk right up the trail. I was the only one to see bucks and shot.

Where do you hunt at? I am up by Lakewood and man is it quiet now. I just heard the first shot of the day and its noon.

It is a 30-06 shooting Hornady SST tip 165 gr. I free floated the barrel and bedded the action this fall.
We hunt up by Pickerel. I was the only to shot. I only saw the 2 bucks. But mot of the guys saw about 3 does each. There is 5 of us hunting party.

Our group harvested 12 deer this past week in Southern Ontario during the Black Powder (muzzleloader) only season. My contribution to the meat pole was a young doe. Didn't get a chance to get a picture of it though.

Here is the one I got last week with a 50cal muzzlerloader.
standard.jpg

Could you guys that hunt please inform. Is this what is considered a good hunting practice? I mean shooting a resting brown bear in the butt with an arrow and killing it? It also seems rather dangerous given the close proximity. Something about these guys bugs me.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VI6Dpk1zS7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Butt shot is no good. But don't let that be a glimpse into all hunters mentalities.

Shooting the animal at rest is fine in my opinion. You've managed to defeat his eyes, ears, and nose to get that close. In his own habitat. You have been a sportsman at that point. To wake that bear, he is either going to run like hell away from you or at you. Neither would be good.

As far as taking that shot, I wouldn't have. On a broad animal like that, a skilled archer might be able to shoot into the abdomen and up into the chest cavity, which would be great for a quick kill. However, there is no room for error. A little to one side and you shoot his butt. A little to another and you hit his ribcage which could be a catastrophe. I'd have waited that bear out. Eventually he would get up to feed and might offer a good shot.

There's a lot of variables. Every shot is different. As hunters, most of us strive for that perfect, instant kill shot. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. But what's odd, is that sometimes those mishap shots still cause a quick death. I once drew my bow back on a whitetail doe. Took a perfect shot. The arrow glanced off a hemlock twig on the way to the deer. I couldn't see that twig as the woods were a little dim that evening. The arrow shot right into her gut back by her hind legs. The type of archery shot that absolutely sucks. A shot that makes the chances of finding that deer pretty slim. She ran 20 feet. Stopped. Stood for 10 seconds and dropped dead. Not even a twitch.

I cut an artery. She bled out internally faster then I could have ever imagined.

Back