Hunting 2011

Probably so. She wasn't a mature female. I've seen larger and smaller around here. She does have about the prettiest coat I've seen in a while. I killed two last year that had good coats, but often they appear mangy.

I saw one in the garden the other night, but it got away before I could get the gun. Then I saw a gray fox the next night. Same thing.....too quick. Missed a skunk one night two weeks ago. Oh, and I killed a groundhog yesterday. Sounds like a zoo out here, eh?

Nice coyote.
ae6be5d8-8cac-fefd.jpg

Took this 5 point. He stopped broadside about 30 ft in front of my stand.
Really responded well to a bleat call.

I shot him low with a 7 mag. Hoping to preserve some of the meat. Had roughly a 4 inch exit wound!

That makes me jealous. Our rifle season doesn't open until the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Bow season opened October 15, but I haven't had time to go but once, and the skeeters ate me alive. Muzzleloader comes in the Monday before rifle season. I guess I need to put the .50 barrel on the Encore.

I missed another coyote while ago. My wife and I went walking and I saw a big one up the road. Close to 100 yards, three shots with a Glock .40 came up lacking.....

Nah, no other hikers in the area. My house and my folks' house are the only inhabited houses on our road. Some days we don't see but two or three vehicles and one of them is the mailman. :)

Me likes living in the sticks......

fair enough. I am in a fairly city like area, we hear a car backfire or some such and we eat pavement, its just safer that way. lol

Season ended today for your parts (D6), unless a late season Anderson Flat premium tag is in hand.

Edit: Must be cool being able to see and shoot deer from the porch tho.

Oh well.. to late then... they'll just be bigger next year :D
They like our garden, soooooo we have a few that hang pretty close and don't pay much mind to the dogs... Not that the dogs pay much mind to them either. We have a doe and fawn that graze right up by the front door at night and early morning. Katy sees them and chases them off when she comes home from work and school.

Scott, to what end do you wish to kill the coyotes, foxes, skunks, and woodchucks?

Coyotes, foxes and skunks will kill/eat chickens/eggs. Not to mention we frequently sleep with the windows open and there's nothing like waking up at 3:00 AM with the house full of skunk scent because the window fan drew it in. About twice a month one walks through my yard at night and sprays leaving its scent around for half a day. I'm sick of it.....

The groundhogs (or woodchucks, as you call them) wreak havoc on the gardens. One big one can wipe out a row of lettuce/cabbage/etc. in a couple of days. Not just nibble the tops down (from which it might recover), but mow it down to the ground, hence killing it. They also have eaten okra and tomato plants, as well as bean and pea vines. One year, they were pulling down low ears of corn and gnawing on them.

We have quite an abundance of varmints around here. All the above plus coons, possums and bobcats. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. I have the only (free-range) chickens in the area that I know of. Several broiler houses around, but they're enclosed of course. I have seen a big increase in critters since I got my chickens two years ago....not sure, but I suspect that has something to do with them coming around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham's bleeding heart is showing through a little:P

In my area now, there are fox like you wouldn't believe. I see them go trotting by mid-afternoon now, when previously they were rare even at night. There used to be a scourge of stray cats around, but not a one now. I believe the foxes like to dine on them. Sadly, I used to see pheasant too.

:P Willie :D.

Perfectly reasonable answers, Scott. I was just curious.

I rather dislike the practice some adopt where killing varmits is done for sport alone, with no other reason. Some have a visceral need to eliminate certain critters, no logic involved.

I have no particular issue with protecting stock and gardens. I too have had the occasional problem with a skunk around the house :).

I like having coyotes, bobcats, foxes, coons, etc. around my place, increases my enjoyment of life. The same goes for the bigger animals, love seeing the elk and deer, bear and cougar when lucky. There are certain negatives to having them as neighbors, but for me the trade-offs are worth it, usually :).

Mmmmm, I love seeing cougar, elk and deer too!
steak-girl-female-steak-smiley-emoticon-000236-large.gif

Even though my wife can't shake the feeling, she likes it! It's like eating a hundred deer at once...

fair enough. I am in a fairly city like area, we hear a car backfire or some such and we eat pavement, its just safer that way. lol

In 1974 I was hitching on the Jersey Turnpike in South Jersey. It was late at night and in the distance I heard what sounded like fireworks. The noise got closer and I realized it was gunfire. The passenger in the pursuing car was hanging out the window firing a pistol at the car in front of him. I dove for the ditch. The car being chased considered blasting through the toll booth, but changed his mind and stopped. They dragged him out of his car and stuffed him in their car.

I was almost to my bud's house in Elmer. I watched the news and read the paper. Nothing. Coulda been feds, gangs, who knows.

You like some critters around your house, Burnham, so I am trying to figure how to bypass customs with a crate full of monkeys. Just don't put any pies on the sill to cool and find Jasper a good shrink.

Don't you need a hottub to keep those japanese monkeys happy?

Japanese+Macaque+Monkeys+Relax+Hot+Springs+JLoDCv8qWdWl.jpg

You got the same haircolor, you'd fit right in with that crowd:P

Back