How'd it go today?

Well done, right from the off your application has shone through.

As for me, the two day job that I was fretting about got finished today, lots of topping and general butchery.
Best looking female client I have had by a long chalk, totally professional though, worry not!
Shattered tonight but drove home with the chèque.

I was going to take a Omorika spruce down on Saturday.
4 feet from the house, tiny drop zone, had to be cut into real small pieces and dropped, but doable for 1 guy.
Today the customer called and cancelled.
They had decided to see if they could get someone to do it for the wood.

Good luck with that:lol:

6 jobs yesterday -- mostly all pruning, but I got to wreck down a spindly ash and a crispy Bradford pear. Dumped after dark, long day. Whew. Then stayed up till 1 am helping out a restaurant's failing router (I had done the network installation and some early management work. 3 years later, they're still looking to me out of state to help!) Shipped them out some new USB flash drives I imaged to replace the failed onboard flash memory.

2 removal jobs today. Big pin oak (36" DBH, 60' canopy). Craned it out, chipped the brush. Very nice university professor with his Japanese wife, very impressed with the speed (4 hours), safety, and thoroughness of service. They laid out smorgasbord of drinks, baked goods, & coffee for us at the end as it started to mist rain. Yum! Back for the stump grinding on Friday. 2nd job was a medium American elm in the back, no access, climbed & pieced out, dragged out all brush -- filled the chipper truck to the MAX. Had to load one leader log on the log truck since nothing else would fit!

We had a HUGE oak removal a few days ago. Actually a couple, and the kind that fool you. One healthy looking 3' DBH heavy leaner with splits, turns out it was hollow with 2-3" thick wood. Another tall >40" DBH red oak with rot all around the trunk as deep as your finger could reach. Perfect solid wood all the way through. Some of the chunks got cut too big (800-1200lbs), so we ended up having to double up guys on the mini skid to keep it from tipping. It couldn't lift them high enough to go in the trailer and bucket truck, and the claw wasn't strong enough to rotate the piece higher, so I had to drive back and forth to swing the chunks up an inch at a time as the hydraulics prevented back swing. That only made it half way. So then I had to drive back and forth while bumping the chunk against the trailer to get a lifting force out of the trailer. Burned through almost a full tank of diesel that day. I don't think we've ever done that. 3-4 trailer loads and 1 bucket truck load of 20-40" diameter chunks from 2 solid oaks on that 1 job. That's the most big wood we'll probably ever see around here for a long time, or at least I hope so.

Speaking of Big Wood

"Small" cottonwood removal today (75' height, 44" DBH main trunk). Front & center on a fairly busy road (at least it had a bike/parking lane); lots of cones out and traffic control at times. Climbed & craned out. Full load of chips that I ran & dumped half way through the day, full load of logs. We have a taker who will take any undesirable wood to fill a large depression in his property. Then back for a lanky Siberian in the back -- over the roof, over 2 sets of power lines. Climbed, pieced out, chipped. Done at 5:30. Back on Friday for stump grinding fun...

This week's crane day was four tulip poplars, and two of them were pretty bad. Had the road closed for the duration, with high tension lines 36kV other side of the road. Dug out the embankment with the bucket of the tractor to level areas for the outrigger cribbing, so we could get the crane as far from the wires as possible. First was old lightning struck 80 footer, and one half was rotten all the way up the tree. Hung out of the tree next to it, and used a breakaway on my lanyard as we worked down that teeter-tottery-tree. Too busy to get any photos of that one.

Last one of the day was approx 95 foot tall with two openings in the base, hollow up the first 15 feet, and inhabited by the fattest raccoon I have seen in years!Started up the tree at me so I started the chainsaw at which point he scrambled down out of the tree and the guys chased him off into the forest. Final cut showed the tree had only 3" to 4" of growth around the base. I need to get a video camera, as it is only infrequently that I can grab out the phone for a photo here and there.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

I have an almost new MS462 for sale if anybody are interested.
Pro model with heated handles.

Has some slight cosmetic damage.

IMG_20181101_135438.jpg

I remember crunching my first saw... those were the days! BTW, have any of ya'll hear what it sounds like when a bushhog takes out a saw?

It's pretty dang LOUD.

Awhile back I glanced down as a 15 foot top started down...and then saw that we had left the 650 with 36" bar on a stump we had just cut...oops, top won. All it took was money to get it running right again...

You got this, Stig....:D

I've never crushed one. Closest I came was cutting a buddies saw out who was pinched working strips side by side. He was holding the pull cord fully outstretched to 'pull' the saw out of harms way as I freed it. Somehow in the action as I cut it free my saw got directed into hismpowerhead and my chain broke one side of his case. So I went halfers with him on the half case and he paid the labor to have it re-re'd. He wasn't going to take nothing as he got pinched and I was just saving him a big walk from getting his own second saw or bar/chain to cut himself out. But I couldn't leave it at not chipping in at all. Lesson learned, always remove the powerhead from a pinched saw if in doubt at all of the outcome.

I did a 372 a few years back.

Spindly oak in a forest hung up in another one, hinge still in place so I tried to finish it and when it freed itself it reversed back over the stump trapping the saw.

I bet most have been there, i know i have. Few replacement parts and it's good as new

Nope, this is as dead as can be.
That tree came down HARD.
The whole body is wrenched and the cylinder has lost half the cooling fins.

I went and picked up a new one in the afternoon.
That is my 3rd one in 3 months, since one got stolen.

We hired a new apprentice today.
Two of them in fact.

Just after our last one quit, we had a friend of one of our guys in for an interview.
Industrial climber and demolition expert, who wanted to work in the woods.
He couldn't quite make up his mind, so we told him we'd take him on, but if somebody else showed up before we heard from him, we would give the position the them.
So today, an hour after we hired the first one, this guy calls and is ready to start......................!

I made a few calls to some of the foresters we work for and got a good idea about how next year is shaping up, work wise.

So eventually we took them both on.

So we'll need to buy a few more saws, it seems.

My dealer really loves me:D

We've already bought over 2000 liters of alkylate fuel from him this year, 400 liters of chain lube and 6 saws plus countless bars and parts.

No wonder he smiles when I walk in his door.

I dropped a climbing saw into a pond one time. It actually kept running for a second or two as it sunk; sounded pretty cool. Homelite Super 2.

Our last apprentice dropped himself and a Stihl MS441 in a creek two years ago.

I took the air filter off, shook the water out of it, and after about 10 pulls, it started right up.

Back