How'd it go today?

My wife and I went to see The Sound of Music at the Performing Arts Center in Tampa today. It was an amazingly good show; every bit as professional as a Broadway production. There were some minor variations from the 1965 film which I have seen many times over the years, including a few new songs. This was a Mother's Day/Father's Day gift from our children.

I hear you there, Butch. As a young fellow, I thought Broadway style musicals were a pretty stupid idea.

But at 18, I was dragged by my far more artistically talented girlfriend to a full on operatic show of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess. Eff me...beautiful music, stunning story line that had serious impact on my real world understanding of my own southern white/black cultural background.

Try it. They can be fun, they can be interesting.

I'll go to one with you if you'll come to a wrestling event with me.

We can sneak whiskey in.

Had to roll out today to a doctor's office for a quick drop-n-chip crispy dead elm (best to do it in off-hours, not when patients were around). It was falling apart, making a mess all around itself, esp. after the recent storm. Dropped it (back cut and let it fall with its strong lean), winched it in (about 5 major pieces). More raking time afterward than the actual drop-n-chip time. Around 2 hours over all, so rest of the day was family time!

Are elms super barberchair-resistant because of the alternating or interlocked or whatever grain?
Actually, in thinking about it, he did notch it -- I was just getting some water out of the truck and missed it. I remember seeing the pie piece during clean-up while i was winching stuff. But given how the tree was, I think barber chair risk was minimal. Rock elm specifically would be super-resistant to it, due to its slow growth and tightness of grain (used to be used for ship building and instrument making).

You'd have to drag me to a musical and you'd better not let me take a bathroom break!

I got dragged to Jesus Christ Superstar, my first and last musical. And there was a bathroom break but there was no escape.:(

Loading up to go down to Sydney got a couple of things to do and have some work lined up. Should get back in about a month if I can handle the traffic, not looking forward to that. Or leaving here at -2C, winter is setting in.

My parents got hooked up to our town's new fiber network today as beta testers. 950mb/s down-930 mb/s up tethered. The tech's Iphone was 450 mbs down using wifi. Wifi is always half the speed of tethered. My S7 Stoopid phone didn't do as well, but I'm happy with the results, and that it's not an Iphone.:/:

At these speeds there is no buffering. None. You can jump half an hour forward on a YouTube and it plays instantly. After years of crap internet, this is mind blowing.

This was with a couple of devices running on wifi. Ookla speed test app:

Screenshot_20180611-170907.jpg

After quitting my crappy remodeling gig, started my first day with a new tree company just south of Atlanta. We took out a big dead white oak and several smaller trees with the help of a crane.

Lol Dave, when i was going to school to be an engineer, u of Illinois had t1 connections for the dorms. It will ruin you for life hahahahaha

:whine: man! Just backed my buddies enclosed trailer he lent me into my travel trailer! The silver lining I guess is that it did zero damage to his trailer. Punched a little hole in mine. Nothing a little tuck tape can't fix right?:|:

Tuck tape. It's the new duct tape. Fixes anything. Ffs.

IMG_1823.jpg

:whine: man! Just backed my buddies enclosed trailer he lent me into my travel trailer! The silver lining I guess is that it did zero damage to his trailer. Punched a little hole in mine. Nothing a little tuck tape can't fix right?:|:

Tuck tape. It's the new duct tape. Fixes anything. Ffs.

Uh-oh. Booboo. Maybe it'll buff out...:)

Dumb canuckians...can't take them anywhere, can you?

:D.

102 degrees Fahrenheit today

5 jobs today. It was nice working in our hometown for the past 2 weeks doing storm cleanup, but today was back out, venturing around our 50 mi radius in the greater Kansas City area. Long day today, almost 12 hours out.
1). Drop every tree on the property for a new homeowner. He wanted a clean slate in his new house. It was a newer housing development, so no tree was more than about 20' tall. No climbing, just drop-n-chip.
2). 2 silver maple removals, one on the side, one in the back yard. Hitting 100 degrees about this point in the day. Climbed (yes, one climber was in shorts it was so hot!), pieced out, dropped the spars. Barely fit all the chips into our truck (30 cubic yards, just about spilling out the back). Made it 2 miles to a dump spot we have at a concert ampitheater
3). Finished up a removal medley of a bunch of small trees growing against a house -- rock elm, mulberry, hackberry, Siberian elm.
4). Deadwooded two pin oaks. Dropped a red bud, hackberry, mulberry, and a dying apple tree. Cleaned up a fence line of wild grape vines.
5). Chipped up a couple of fallen limbs from a dead cottonwood. It's on the neighbor's property, just over the property line -- but it keeps dropping wood with every storm on this customer's side. We've been out 2x now to clean up after it -- our customer just might go ahead and pay for a takedown since it keeps doing this and the neighbor won't pay for the work.​

Bushed! Time for some R&R -- good night all!

Do you know about Coolvests? You should.

I'll probably climb in shorts tomorrow, or roll my pants up into man-pris. I cut out a bunch of the shade today, but had no other reasonable option for dismantling a maple over a fence.

Hey Justin, do they have Gorilla duct tape up there? It's the best tape in the world.

Also, ever seen a series called Letterkenny?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9rSBmOgpcDE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back