How'd it go today?

Do you know about Coolvests? You should.
Coolvest sounds neat, but I couldn't see dropping $200 on one. Funny, I was talking about strapping a large Blu ice pack to the small of my back yesterday. Climber in shorts was saying that if you strapped them to your legs near the main arteries it would be much more effective. Also was considering installing an 5v computer exhaust fan in my Petzel helmet to carry air out of the vertex vents. Or purchase a used (genuine move prop) Storm Trooper or Battlestar Galactica suit off eBay and using the integrated personal integrated AC system. Actually, all that is heat-induced fantasy. I simply make frequent trips to the customers' spigots and run my head under it. At least we were in shade the latter half of the day after the silver maple takedowns (no shade left!).

I can't wrap my head around that much treework in one day!!!
Well, it wasn't quite as big as it sounds -- 2 of the 4 were what we term "Snip, snip" -- meaning a very simple, quick work just to satisfy a homeowner. The first job was 15 min, the other multiple small tree removal was just over half an hour. The takedowns and pin oak prunings were the longest 2 jobs of the day. Lotsa travel time altogether yesterday (over 100 miles total), one big circle.

A Coolvest costs more than 200 bucks and is worth every penny.

I still wear mine while mowing the lawn.

A Coolvest costs more than 200 bucks and is worth every penny.

Hey Justin, do they have Gorilla duct tape up there? It's the best tape in the world.

Also, ever seen a series called Letterkenny?

Never watched letterkenny but I've heard of it. I probably average 2hrs of tv a week, so,etimes not even.

We have gorilla duct tape up here too. Do you have tuck tape down there? It's called Canadian technical tape up here. It's some sticky sh-t!

It's the go to. Hard to pull it off yourself even if you get caught up in it. It's thin, not fabric like like a duct tape.

Do you wear a t-shirt and barefoot all winter, or wear something warm? Possibly a warm vest? Maybe a jacket?

I sprung for one, then two more.
Makes/ saves me money, like wearing warm clothes in the winter.

Company should buy them.
It's ppe.

I plan on getting one this year for welding in the summer... everyone else will be dragging, and I'll just keep plugging along....

Do you wear a t-shirt and barefoot all winter...?
Actually, yes. I run hot year-round:
hot.jpg hotter.jpg
I grew up in Nebraska (similar climate & summers to here) and did property maintenance in Florida & Tennessee all summer, so I am no stranger to outdoor work in summers. I'm not complaining about it all, just stating the reality of the day yesterday.

Today was far more doable with only 88 degrees after some rains last night. 4 local jobs:
1). Just around the corner from my house, remove a broken 8" mulberry leader. It was over an ornate wrought iron fence of an old historic home. Damage from the storms 2 weeks ago have stressed the trees and a revealed weaknesses. Last night we had rains & light winds and this mulberry cracked under load (lotsa leaves & berries). We brought our grapple truck and craned out the leader with a sling, right to the chipper. We'll obviously be back, as the main trunk is splitting on a main fork. We've worked for the owner before, trimming back some elms from off the roofline just after they bought the house.
2). Remove a broken silver maple leader off of a roof. Repeat of above -- grapple truck craned out the limbs with a sling. Brought them over the house and laid them down behind the chipper.
3). Drop & leave a crispy dead elm
4). Prune a medium sycamore (crown cleaning, shape, lower deadwood)

After quitting my crappy remodeling gig, started my first day with a new tree company just south of Atlanta. We took out a big dead white oak and several smaller trees with the help of a crane.

Atlanta? Crane? Boutte Tree?

MB, Sure as god's got sandals, Ive seen some real funny letterkenny.

Dead mulberry, rotten at the root, way too much movement for me to climb. Guess who knows 4 sections on the pole saw ain't fun. This guy!

20180612_114022.jpg

Damn Peter. I hate having to double stick a pole saw. That sucks.
Don?t get to discouraged. I hear that July is right around the corner and then your back to winter;)

Took out a bunch of large ash and hickory with an 85 ton. The damn space shuttle couldnt be more impressive than that machine coupled with a good op.

Back