How'd it go today?

For all the crap it seems you have to put up with from this so-called partner...I'd point her to the nearest decent auto service shop and tell her to have at it. And the bill does not rebound to you, either!

I am probably crossing some line here, my friend...but imo you deserve better than you are getting, on that front.

The kid

Yeah...I get that. But I suspect both Peter and the sweet little girl are on the hurting end of that equation. He'd be better off as a single dad, imo...if that result could be finagled. It's a messy situation, for sure.

And I have no business putting my oar in these waters. Sorry, Peter.

We started this year's 1000 manhour pre-commercial thinning project yesterday.
A bunch of nice Doug fir were left as seed trees, and their offspring are doing fine.
There are, however a lot of birch scattered in between them, and since birch will outgrow doug fir here, they need to be taken out.

You wouldn't think that called for a lot of thinking, but we soon realized that somebody had ben going through the area maybe 3 years ago and done a piss-poor job of it.

Must have liked beech, I guess:lol:

We start at 5 AM and go home at 2.30 PM, makes it bearable in the heat.

Yesterday was my first full day running a chain saw since my accident.
Between that and digging a grave, my wrist was totally done for, come evening.

I think after a couple of weeks of this, I'll be good as new.

Yeah...I get that. But I suspect both Peter and the sweet little girl are on the hurting end of that equation. He'd be better off as a single dad, imo...if that result could be finagled. It's a messy situation, for sure.

And I have no business putting my oar in these waters. Sorry, Peter.

No worries. I appreciate the observation. I do feel that way many days. My GF does improve, but at a glacial rate. I do have my own place, going apart at this time would cause much more stress. At this point, she needs me more, and some of her suppers have been pretty good lately..... ;)

Time will tell.

Keeping the other half of the parenting 'team' stable and steady is part of being a loving parent.

Interested how the older one is doing.

American Elms -- fighting a losing battle

Pruned 2 American Elms, mostly to raise the crown; very likely they have Dutch Elm disease, so it's fighting a losing battle. We're going to drop of a sample of the wood with the local extension office to confirm with testing. So we might end up doing the removals just down the road... For now, the visibility of the house and clearance of the driveway is much improved for the homeowner.

Before:
P1320543.jpg

After:
P1320566.jpg

... very likely they have Dutch Elm disease, so it's fighting a losing battle. We're going to drop of a sample of the wood with the local extension office to confirm with testing. So we might end up doing the removals just down the road...

Nice Elms. How will we ever know if there is an Elm that is capable of surviving Dutch Elm disease if we preemptively remove every one that shows evidence of it?

They are for sure beauties -- we appreciate every (increasingly rarer) opportunity we have to work on American Elms. We wouldn't pre-emptively remove them. We would wait for confirmation from the testing lab and get back with the homeowner, then take a wait-and-see approach for the summer into fall. But the leaves are definitely showing the telltale signs of taking a turn for the worse! A lot the decision making in this case would be predicated on the sale of the home -- if it sells and if the old owner passes on the responsibility to the new owner.

Around here pruning elms this time of year is a no no because of Dutch Elm Disease. Did you treat or cauterize the wound?

Had a wasp sting me in the forehead about 11am. Felt like he smacked me with a 2x4! I have a welt the size of a lemon on my forehead.

Yowch! We had a ground nest of yellow jackets by the base of a locust we were taking down last year. I got tagged 3x on the arm as we were rolling out gear before we realized what was going on. Had to go to the store and get 2 cans of wasp spray and soak them down and their ground hole before we could work. Another time when I was doing property maintenance, I drove over a ground nest with a commercial mower w/sulky. I got stung about 24 times in the legs, jumped off the mower, ran down a hill and kept running. No ill effects, except that the venom gave me such an endorphin rush that I was jacked all day into evening, even making it hard to sleep that night. Sore legs the next day though, let me tell you!

That sucks. I got one to the lip last summer.
I carry insect spray, hydrocortisone cream, benedryl capsules...actually, better check my supply.

You are correct, Mick, along with root graft transfer of course. The thing with making cuts on an Elm tree during the growing season is that pheromones are released from those cuts and that can be like ringing a dinner bell to the beetles. Same goes for Oaks, Pines or any other trees that have insect-vectored diseases.

Fungi ride on the backs of beetles, figuratively. The tree tries to block the fungi, choking itself off in the process, IIRC.

I have some elms to ID on my property (finally). I'll start a thread.

I've had a white spotted pine Sawyer land on my arms several times after white pine removals. Definitely like a big dinner Bell ringing for them.

You are correct, Mick, along with root graft transfer of course. The thing with making cuts on an Elm tree during the growing season is that pheromones are released from those cuts and that can be like ringing a dinner bell to the beetles. Same goes for Oaks, Pines or any other trees that have insect-vectored diseases.

This ^

Back