How'd it go today?

Ooooooooooo made some money there then, unless you just pumped it in the unit. How much is that going for anymore it's been a few years since my ice cream fitter classes lol

No pics today, nothing so exciting. We did a smorgasbord-type job -- trimming (mostly deadwood) 2 elms, remove a 25' Bradford pear, remove a 40' red oak, safety trim/limb lightening 3 large 70' cottonwoods growing over the roofline. No chipping, just leaving firewood and dragging brush into their woods. Funny how the big removals tend to pay better than the lighter duty jobs! We wouldn't mind making removals our chief specialty.

Two reasons why removals pay more. Bigger risk because you have more weight coming down (usually over obstacles) and more weight to haul off. If you are set up to deal with the weight then removals pay way more than trimming. The only way I make killer money on trimming is when I have a bunch of small jobs I can knock out in one day. 3-4 people all paying your minimum or a couple hundred more and it adds up to a good money day without all the heavy work.

TD's always make more than trims, for sure.

Agree! There's also a perception among customers that a removal will always cost more than a trim. The first job we did this morning was given a choice: elevate and prune a live oak in the front yard for $450, or remove it for $900. They went with the removal. It took exactly one hour start to finish. It would have taken at least as long if not longer to prune it.

The only way I make killer money on trimming is when I have a bunch of small jobs I can knock out in one day. 3-4 people all paying your minimum or a couple hundred more and it adds up to a good money day without all the heavy work.
Exactly how we try to work it -- ganging 2, 3, or more trimming jobs together in one day. One record day was 5 trimming jobs and we made good money that day, as good as a big removal. Today was just far enough at 35+ min drive time, plus just long enough working on site and hauling brush into the woods to eat up the whole working day without leaving enough space to fill it out with another small trimming job. A bit lighter duty of a day, but lighter paycheck as well.

Cabled a Smoke Tree. Visited with an old customer, a Master Gardener with a million different trees and shrubs. Husband, who I just met for the first time, last visit, has Alzheimer's. Used to be a big business guy. He's joking about it...humor helps.

Pruned a couple trees a bit at my new place. Mowed some grass.

Dinner with D and her friend. Currently, she's in the bath, before bedtime reading.

3ae8f9758524d856d89e40149436bef9.jpg

Dad power. I think those ramps were wearing out my tracks too fast so, expanded metal for my new tracks.

Aug

Don't forget to use pavement butter. It's just chips, leaves, saw chips, or whatever cast around the chipper for the hard spins to help reduce friction and wear. It helps.

Just average it out.

Perhaps your area is different.

Apple trees for example small and easily eaten by the chipper, minimum charge $150. Now the same tree trimmed twice a year at the minimum charge of $150 = $300 per year, every year, some of mine are going on five years thus = $1500. A huge stately oak is another matter, pruning it out may be half a day and the removal full day maybe a day and half.

Dad power. I think those ramps were wearing out my tracks too fast so, expanded metal for my new tracks.
You sure it had nothing to do with your tug-o-war tests with the Vermeer on pavement to find out its pulling power? :D
We just had to re-do our stump grinder trailer with new expanded metal because someone (not me) had brought it up the ramp with the boom too low, so it dragged & caught the metal, creating a depression and tear in it.

3ae8f9758524d856d89e40149436bef9.jpg

Aug

Vermeer proprietary tracks, by chance?

How many hours do you have on your machine?

How'd your grapple rebuild work?

I've got a little over 300 hours. My grapple and tracks are fine.

634.2 hours on machine
I didn?t really wear the tracks down much, but weakened the cables through rocky terrain abuse and grapple skidding huge stuff all the time ...and I think the ramps were murder before.

Aug

Back