How'd it go today?

No person was hurt and that is all that matters in my book, stuff can be replaced. Shake it off let the Ins. Co.s handle it that's what we pay for.

Thing is, we all know Stephen to be an ace tree man, I’ve seen vids showing some mighty impressive stuff.

I’ve had some regretful days at work so don’t get the idea I’m giving it the big I am.

But we should look at why this happened, now, he nipped the hinge and it went sideways, but if he had a pull line he would not have had to go near the hinge, as one guy pulling on the rope would have had that tree moving in the right direction long before the bar was nearing the critical point, especially if he was knackered at the end of the day.

I know this goes back to the pull line/wedges debate, but I think this illustrates exactly why using a pull line on anything critical is a must. Trees are unpredictable, unseen rot, old branch unions, or just plain old misjudgment.

It was a mistake not to use a pull line.

I have no doubt it would have prevented this.

After some weeks of slim pickens work wise, I secured a nice weeks works for next week.

Some big firs to come down.

Anyway, last (hopefully) day of arsing about.

Made up a rack for the long stuff, the never ending battle against untidiness in the workshop continues...

Attachments

• DC3A5A1B-79B9-42DE-A4FA-0B4091FA2F18.jpg
    DC3A5A1B-79B9-42DE-A4FA-0B4091FA2F18.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 42
Nice Mick!

Storm work continues here. 3 jobs in Brantford cleaned up today, now for some motor shop work.

Still searching for a 42" or bigger bar for the 088. I've had some shops order them, but they weren't for the 088! I don't have $600 for a canon bar shipped.

Rained out today, sitting in the coffee shop on the wifi... Person next to me insists on eating their sushi with their mouth open, gross chewing noises, pet peeve, ah, she's getting up to leave, small mercies.

Thing is, we all know Stephen to be an ace tree man, I?ve seen vids showing some mighty impressive stuff.

I?ve had some regretful days at work so don?t get the idea I?m giving it the big I am.

But we should look at why this happened, now, he nipped the hinge and it went sideways, but if he had a pull line he would not have had to go near the hinge, as one guy pulling on the rope would have had that tree moving in the right direction long before the bar was nearing the critical point, especially if he was knackered at the end of the day.

I know this goes back to the pull line/wedges debate, but I think this illustrates exactly why using a pull line on anything critical is a must. Trees are unpredictable, unseen rot, old branch unions, or just plain old misjudgment.

It was a mistake not to use a pull line.

I have no doubt it would have prevented this.

I just have to disagree. The only thing either wedges or a pull line do is commit the tree to the direction the face and hinge structure direct it to fall. Neither can change that direction.

Stephen says that he cut off the hinge wood on one side. If that is so, a pull line would not change the result...unless the pull is fast enough and powerful enough to out-accelerate the tree's drop speed and overcome the load of the tree's weight in motion. This is fairly hard to do. Impossible by people power, certainly.

It's pointless speculation about at what point in a pull or wedging that Stephen might have or have not cut too deeply. With either tool, nothing changes regarding how the hinge governs fall direction, not the method of tipping the tree to the face.

The shop looks great, Mick. I have storage solution envy :).

... But we should look at why this happened, now, he nipped the hinge and it went sideways, but if he had a pull line he would not have had to go near the hinge, as one guy pulling on the rope would have had that tree moving in the right direction long before the bar was nearing the critical point,... I have no doubt it would have prevented this.

I agree with your assessment, Mick. You are a good tree man, Stephen. Don't let this eat at you, stuff happens.

SO back at it. Time to rig off the mishap. Pruned out the dead wood so no one got knocked on the noggin and set the rigging. Both the continuous puller (come-a-long) the HOBBS had 2:1 rigs to raise the offending log. 20180511_122014.jpg 20180511_122020.jpg 20180511_122038.jpg
Then we raised the log off the roof and chimney and held it with a second line and block on the rear tree making it possible to 1: move lines alternately down the log and 2:use one as a lowering line in conjunction with a tag line to swing the larger picks nearest the rigging points off the roof. 20180511_122057.jpg 20180511_122110.jpg 20180511_122134.jpg
Then we set about building supports by lashing 6X6 posts (thanks to the mill) and strapping them to the log up to about 1/2 way. Lashed it to that little cedar as well as a pivot point for a future part of the plan. Then we took some bigger pieces, then cookies till we were past the chimney. 20180511_125341.jpg 20180511_125408.jpg 20180511_143303.jpg 20180511_143257.jpg
Once we got this far, started losing the supports, down to the smaller one, then cut the outside 6X6, pushed off with the mini using the leg of the support as a ramp away from the house. The lashing at the tree provided a pivot point to help straighten the orientation of the log a tad prior to pushing. 20180511_144555.jpg 20180511_144411.jpg 20180511_144210.jpg
Using climb line and such, blow off the roof and gift wrap it. We'll go back next week to complete our contractual obligations and then, the insurance companies and contractors can have at it.

Attachments

• 20180511_143333.jpg
    20180511_143333.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180511_164603.jpg
    20180511_164603.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 42
Once the damage is done, which can happen to all of us, how you deal with it is what matters to the client.

Lordy, Stephen.

You're a good guy, Bud.

The town Rep is solid... especially after such a champ recovery.

Every body falls, its who gets back up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just have to disagree. The only thing either wedges or a pull line do is commit the tree to the direction the face and hinge structure direct it to fall. Neither can change that direction.

Stephen says that he cut off the hinge wood on one side. If that is so, a pull line would not change the result...unless the pull is fast enough and powerful enough to out-accelerate the tree's drop speed and overcome the load of the tree's weight in motion. This is fairly hard to do. Impossible by people power, certainly.

It's pointless speculation about at what point in a pull or wedging that Stephen might have or have not cut too deeply. With either tool, nothing changes regarding how the hinge governs fall direction, not the method of tipping the tree to the face.

The shop looks great, Mick. I have storage solution envy :).
Thanks.

Back to our now theoretical discussion...

What I?m saying is not that a pull rope would have saved it once it started to go wrong, but that with a pull rope the hinge would not have been cut.

A perfectly vertical spar needs a thinner hinge than a perfectly vertical tree with an even, full umbrella of branches, because once it starts to go there?s no momentum, and no weight to pull it over.

Who hasn?t had a spar stuck on a stump at a forward angle? Then you have to finish the cut which can make a bit of a lottery of it.

So, a thin hinge, on a dead tree with all the deterioration in hinging that brings.

A pull rope would mean you could have a thicker hinge, less chance of mishap.

Who hasn?t had a spar stuck on a stump at a forward angle? Then you have to finish the cut which can make a bit of a lottery of it.

Gut your hinges, folks, when dropping spars.
Always.

Back