How'd it go today?

Jed, I've seen people collect pitch out of big fir stumps, freshly cut for fire starter.

Did you work today in this weather?

I got a large tipped madrone, wedged into standing forest of firs, down safely. Its was packing some pressure, bending over some smaller diameter, 10"-12". A little of this and little of that, a lot of making sure I didn't end up dead in the process. I had a big fir to hang my climb line in, right in the action, but barely out, just enough.

Started 5 tipped trees in a wet area. A 3' cottonwood uprooted, hit the house, largely breaking up on impact, with minor gutter damage. The top flipped back over. The break at the top of the butt log, and the break at the bottom of the broken off top, both about 2' from taking out a lot of the back of the house, only getting the BBQ.

The Japanese refined pine pitch into aviation fuel during WW2. Filled their zeros with 80 octane. A highly developed weapon for it's time. People are now looking at making jet fuel from refined pitch.

Nothing like the outside input of a person being able to compare different crews. A legit compliment to them about being pretty safe and hard workers in front of the boss might be worth saying.

Actually I took them all aside at the end of work today, thanked them all for the effort they put in this week, and complimented them on the job they did. I met with the Boss after they left and told her I thought they were a good crew and that they did an excellent job for their limited level of knowledge and put in a good effort every day in my estimation.

Sounds like a profitable trip. I've got a buddy down Traverse City way who has been working with a tree crew for a few months now. One of my friends ran into him and said he's lost about 60 lbs. from the last time we saw him. Dragging brush from what I gather. Glad your crew worked out well for ya, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that it was as much a product of your direction/leadership as anything. People tend to give their best efforts when they know it's appreciated.

Snow actually stuck around tonight, didn't expect that.

Totally unrelated, but I'm putting a 36" Cannon Superbar on my 390 this week. Kind of excited for that. haha

Oh, and I meant to tell you guys, our long time General Manager up here is retiring at the end of the month, and I'm now the interim GM of the whole place while a search committee looks for a replacement. Crazy!

Cheers.

Thanks Jed.

I haven't made any commitments yet Jim, I really don't know what to do. I'm reluctant to give up the ground pounding side of things, but at the same time, I'm not sure that I would have to. I mean doesn't the King of Quatar or whatever like jump out of planes with the troops from time to time?

Thinking about it. There's a local guy with a long history up here who might be in consideration, and who would probably be the stronger choice. I haven't spoken with him yet, but I should. . . I told the board of directors when I agreed to take over in the interim, that if there is a better guy for the job I truly want him to have it. We'll see how it all plays out.

8)

I've been shanghaid. Came up north 4 hours drive from home to work 3 days, that was last Monday now it's Sunday and I'm still here with no end in sight soon. Banged up my leg so I been cutting with that in a splint. I'm so ready to just go home lol. But sure am having fun cutting these maples. Think we've got 110 thousand feet on the landing so far

Cool you get to step in to the spot for a bit Sam...sometimes that's all it takes to realise weather you really want to do that job or not. Hope it all turns out to your advantage regardless of how things end up.

Official sign of nearing the end of Fall here...Mulberries are dropping their leaves...started falling this morning about sunrise, and they will nearly all be on the ground by dark tonight...weird trees...

Nic, Sounds like a lot of wood for just cutting out landings? If you decide you need a ride I'm going back and forth for the next couple weeks;)

Did finally you go to the Doc or still using the stick & duct tape splint method?

Stick and duct tape. It's starting to feel a little better now though. Still swelled up a bit. Probably just being a wuss lol. The landings are done, trails are cut, and a one mile road about 14 feet wide is cut

Hard core y'all, working like dogs. I've been wrastling with a woodstove install the last couple of days. The stove isn't the problem but the new damned chimney liner sure has been. When will I learn not to do everything myself. We are right on the verge of snow here and I am itching to turn some wheels and make some money!

That's a lot of cutting.
Leaves are about done in my neighborhood. I might get the mower out later and chew them all up. Took a load of wood to my nieghbor this morning. His concrete pad that I dump it on was full of junk wood and not ready for me. He apologized and told me that he would have "bubba" get it cleaned up as soon as he woke up. We talked about it for a few minutes and with his permission I drug 36 year old, no job, drunkard "bubba" out of his bed by his ear and outside. He was none to pleased but got the hint. My nieghbor who is recovering from a major back surgery said thanks. I can only be nice for so long and watching this kid take advantage of his parents drives me nuts. Back to the wood pile for me now

That's a lot of cutting.
Leaves are about done in my neighborhood. I might get the mower out later and chew them all up. Took a load of wood to my nieghbor this morning. His concrete pad that I dump it on was full of junk wood and not ready for me. He apologized and told me that he would have "bubba" get it cleaned up as soon as he woke up. We talked about it for a few minutes and with his permission I drug 36 year old, no job, drunkard "bubba" out of his bed by his ear and outside. He was none to pleased but got the hint. My nieghbor who is recovering from a major back surgery said thanks. I can only be nice for so long and watching this kid take advantage of his parents drives me nuts. Back to the wood pile for me now

Good on you man, these younger folks need a kick in the back side more than not it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raked the leaves from on tree into a pile, moved tools to the other truck, and heading out to play music for a couple hours...the 100 mile drive I'm not looking forward to, but worth it to see old friends I guess. I'd planned on doing more work around here today but feeling a bit beat up, so will take the day off and have a busier day tomorrow...what I could really use is a nap...

Fid. .. You need some downtime. From what I have been reading about your work production lately you got to be a tired mofo.

Don't forget to rest.

Hard core y'all, working like dogs. I've been wrastling with a woodstove install the last couple of days. The stove isn't the problem but the new damned chimney liner sure has been. When will I learn not to do everything myself. We are right on the verge of snow here and I am itching to turn some wheels and make some money!

Those liners are some stiff and tough metal. I did one last fall. The instructions said to pull it down from the top - wasn't possible. I tied a rope on it and pulled from the top while my buddy shoved from the bottom.

Seems like I've been resting all summer...It actually feels good to be out doing something. Took it easy today and I have tomorrow off...sharpen a couple saws, go to the bank, and read myself into a nap or two;)

I did retire from running a business...just doing some climbing for a couple other companies for a few weeks to help them end their season.

Those liners are some stiff and tough metal. I did one last fall. The instructions said to pull it down from the top - wasn't possible. I tied a rope on it and pulled from the top while my buddy shoved from the bottom.

It was a bear but I got it licked today. Should have wood heat going again shortly, pretty excited as its my first modern stove so I'm looking forward to some improved efficiency.

Dave waving Hi from a tree across from the one I was in. Chunking down some stems now and then working closer to the house next week

Attachments

• tmp_11031-IMG_20151108_142012846_HDR-987081969.jpg
    tmp_11031-IMG_20151108_142012846_HDR-987081969.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 49
Spent the morning in the hospital.
I had a weird growth on one testicle and at my age, one starts thinking cancer.
So I went to see a doctor and today they did a scan and found it to be benign.
That took a load off my mind, I must admit.

Spent the rest of the day knocking a VERY dead horse chestnut over.
Guy I met by the bakershop last year, asked me what was wrong with his tree and told me the symptoms.
I told him bacterial cancer and to get rid of it as fast as possible, which he didn't do, of course.
We had some wind yeasterday and about 1/3 of the crown broke out.
So he was a bit panicked when he called and asked if I could do an emergency run.
Panicked enough to pay what I asked, anyway:lol:

Back