How'd it go today?

We got a room, just not what we asked for. Since they waited the room cost them a bunch more than what we had picked as well. It's still close to the convention center. Looking forward to Treestuffs after party the most.
Finished with the head lights on again tonight. Big pin oak removal. Tree was well over half dead. No good drop zone for the big wood. Double porty, double blocks , and double bull ropes for 6 foot sections four feet in diameter. We were able to drop the last 15 feet of spar. We cheated and latest chains out so once it landed we could pull pieces over the ditch with the bobcat.

6'x4' sections. YIKES!!

So Jed, I see you live in paradise.

Peter, we all wish we had made some different choices. All we can do is choose as wisely as possibly now and into the future.

Our new apprentice got a hard start this week.
Hardwood logging.
Problem today with running apprentices, is that once you could let them cut their teeth on smallish trees and once they got the hang of it, move them into the big stuff.
Today we don't log nothing but the big stuff, machines do the rest.
So now it is always a baptism of fire for the newbies.We let him buck tops for 2 days to get a feel for the saws ( Way bigger than what he has ever used before) and the trees, LOTS of bind in beech tops......LOTS!
So today I let him fell his first biggish beech trees, under supervision.
He was proud when his first tree landed where intended.

He told me that one of the older teachers at the forestry school, when told that he'd got an apprenticeship with me, had told him that I was about the hardest son of a bitch, he'd ever come across, but very, very good at my job and if he could hack it with me, he'd come out top off his class.

Not, in my opinion, an altogether bad thing to have somebody say about you.

P1030660.JPG P1030666.JPG P1030667.JPG P1030681.JPG

He is 28.
Skinny runt, but we'll put some muscle on him or kill him in the attempt.

The cheap orange saw pants are because it only took him 3 hours on the first day to fall on top of a running saw, and cut the leg of the nice Pfanner pants we bought him.
So now he is demoted to the " We are too stupid to wear nice expensive pants" division.:lol:

On the last picture if there was a kickback the chainbrake would be superfluous because his hand isn't in position.
I'm a genuine hacker so no real criticism intended.

Day off...went to town for breakfast, read myself into two different naps, had some quality time with the dogs...I might do this again tomorrow8)

It's a decent compliment to be called a hard but good teacher. Just be wary of some crazy son of a bitch that wants to murder you as a result, like my thought toward my woodworking master. Kind of embarrassed to say now, but it was often my thought to jump down from a tree across his path when he was riding his bike home from the company and knife him in the throat. A fairly elderly man too. :) Everyday stress can build.

Great shots Stig. Man that kid double-cuts better than I do.

Peter: Looking good!

Removed a tricky Madrona today, and then snuck around on the customer's property shooting all her huge Firs.
unnamed-306.jpg

You can just barely see the Bald Eagle's nest in the top of this one.
unnamed-310.jpg
unnamed-308.jpg
St. Patric hugs the butt of that pig...
unnamed-309.jpg

On the last picture if there was a kickback the chainbrake would be superfluous because his hand isn't in position.
I'm a genuine hacker so no real criticism intended.

He is also not in a position to be hit by the chain in case of kick back.

As for kick back prevention, I'm mostly aware of making sure new guys are wrapping the tumb around the handle.
Most times you can stop the saw, before the chain brake engages, anyway.

Yeah Cory... Pretty lame pics today though. I got an awesome chance to train Andy and St. Patric on cutting from the bucket today.... easy bucket removal and absolutely nothing but an irrigation box and the truck to hit with the tree.

They did alright. They were both scared to go much higher than 55' though. :? Which is just weird cause the bucket goes ten feet higher than that all day long.

unnamed-314.jpg unnamed-315.jpg
This Hawk was awesome. The wind just kept howling so he didn't have to flap his wings at all... just kept hovering over the bucket for some reason.
unnamed-312.jpg
I had to finish it up...
unnamed-311.jpg
Low back-cut on the far corner. :|:

Attachments

• unnamed-313.jpg
    unnamed-313.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 33
Back