How'd it go today?

Joel, nice to hear all the hard work you've been doing, good luck and keep it up!

Come on Mick! For crying out loud... you've got a nicer truck than any man on here.

Peter: Nice!!

Joel: Wow. Good job sir. Check in some more sir. Throw up a pic now and then.

Stig: I just finished telling Rich that, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence," but, after getting to know quite a few PNW loggers, I've become convinced that we arbs just have a much easier life in general.

Fairly easy day lowering all the wood off the Firpig. Although, I will say... my right knee is feelin' it.

unnamed-282.jpg unnamed-279.jpg
unnamed-284.jpg

unnamed-280.jpg
Pig rings!

Attachments

• unnamed-283.jpg
    unnamed-283.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 39
Ha! Yeah, I took you for, at least 26, Rich. :lol: (the number of rings at that cut)

Yeah, it was really funny with the neighbors... you know... the typical neighbor question: "Wow... How old do you think that tree was?"

Us: "Well, we don't like to think much ma'am, and a good thing, because, to determine it's age, you merely have to count. You see... here's the early wood, and here's the late wood... etc, etc, etc..."

I think Andy counted, like, maybe 87 rings on the stump cut.... With no competitors: that thing was growing like a bastid. ;)

Slapped a Modesto ash that was tipping over. HO had propped it up with 4x6. Self lowered to Louis and wrapped up at 12. Rest of the crew worked the big pine job. Had enough time to go fetch this :)

Attachments

• tmp_4121-IMG_20151105_161757929_HDR-987081969.jpg
    tmp_4121-IMG_20151105_161757929_HDR-987081969.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 57
I'll try to get some pics posted in the work pics thread, but I'm not sure when I'll have time for that. I had pretty fantastic trip to Cleveland OH 2 weeks ago. I have some family out there, and 1 of my uncles had around 20 trees he wanted removed. I think the total was originally 30, but he decided to keep some. Almost everything we took out was dead or dying, and we still got crap from the neighbors about it. Lots of tree huggers without tree knowledge in their area.
Anyway, we had a ton of work to do thursday while their power line was dropped, and half our crew was out of commission for half the day. Ended up being a super long marathon of a day, with me dropping the last 20' trunk in the dark using my headlamp.
We had an arrangement to work with my uncle's snow removal guy who also does tree work. I was hoping that I could learn from finally working with another climber, but it turned out to be the opposite. I always see the huge and/or tricky jobs posted on here and I always feel like a clueless newby, but on this job I showed myself that I am learning well and getting some well placed confidence in my abilities and equipment. I cannot thank everyone here enough for all I have learned from you. The other tree guy is Aubry, and he and his crew were amazed at how quickly and smoothly we worked, and how easy we made it look. I was not always that confident that I knew what I was doing, but I think that timidness is what made everything work out with no issues when things were sketchy.
2 big standouts were an ash with EAB damage, up against the neighbors fence and an 80 ft (at least) oak. Everything from the ash was rigged off the oak to get it to the yard, one of the more tricky riggings I've done, and it freaked me out as I had to climb past some of the EAB damage so I was super concerned about shock loading it at all. Then we did the oak with some huge limbs hanging over the roof, almost to the chimney. I am so glad I finally got a porty, I can't believe I worked this long with one. That and the Sena helmets are a night and day difference. I think i bombed 1 or 2 limbs, everything else got roped, and some were tip tyed to avoid the house. 2 of those that were tip tied were misjudged and the butt came at me instead of dropping, but it all worked out, no harm - no foul.
Having the right equipment and the knowledge from here on how to use it is priceless. I went from talking a good game and hoping I could back it up, to really having a solid feeling that "I've got this." It was pretty cool to jump back into the teacher role (I usually taught the new/younger mechanics in the factory where I used to work) and share that knowledge that I have spent countless hours gaining.
It ended up being a great weekend all around, 3 days of work, a few family dinners, and after getting the last sketchy leaning tree down on saturday I left the rest of the crew t finish up while I went to Ray's MTB to ride for a few hours. I'll be out there again a time or 2 this winter, I'd love to meet up with any housers in the area. I also noticed there's a tree-o-cache about 30 mins NE from where we were, just sayin.
Sorry for the long post, I could go on for hours, this is the abridged version :D

Hahaha..good post Woody. Sounds like you got some good work done. Sometimes I use a short rope limiter on butts that can be sketchy. Sometimes to judge limb end weight.

Jedi...cool picture thru the saw handle-!

I was injecting elms today...lovely place to work.

The golden elm is the biggest I have seen so far and a beautiful shape
Then a pic of the western Tiers in the background, and if you look real hard there are some horses under the poplars in the background
The pic with all the tree is eight trees in one shot, from right to left
Cherry
English ash
English oak
Horse chestnut
Golden elm
Variegated elm
Pin oak

DSC00755.JPG DSC00753.JPG DSC00754.JPG

Nice trees Fi.
Particularly the large free standing one.
Is that a red flowered horse chestnut in the second picture.

Well the boss called everyone off today because of rain. I went in to help the mechanic get plows and salt spreaders ready for winter. Plows all work and most of the salters are ready to go. Miserable things they are. Worst part is the rain quit around 8:30 am. Stopped and ordered a cargo liner for the Tahoe and picked up a winters supply of grippy gloves. Now I'm just in a foul mood because some one left for a vacation and conveniently forgot to drop off a rather large sum of money that's owed to me. It was gonna be my play money for the expo next week. I think I'll go take some frustrations out on the firewood pile

Damn, Rich!!

Chris, nice post, glad you are diggin it.

Working on adjustable handles today, doing some testing and found that I need to beef up the brackets. Probably will work, but i have some extra metal doing nothing. Bored out the bushing to fit the stepped shaft on the engine, that's why I was able to buy it rebuilt for only $200. A set of cutters coming monday, hopefully I can get things together next week, have a few stumps to do. So far $336 into material and parts I didn't have, and 3 afternoons in labour.

IMG_20151106_145325.jpg IMG_20151106_145337.jpg

Andy and I had three dead, "Down-Only," Doghair Firs in Issaquah. All three hung out over the road, so I chunked one down just to measure the height off of my 200' three-strand, and hung ropes in the other two cause I was scared... they wedged over just fine with no pulls. :|: Coupla fall colors in there for Mick. Shortest was about 145'... tallest that I measured off the rope was 155'. Fattest tree was about 33" dbh. We finished off really early so I hiked way down into the ravine to check out a Fir that I had been lining up with all day. I'm guessing that it was at least 180'. I took a pic, but it just looks dumb.

unnamed-295.jpg unnamed-296.jpg unnamed-293.jpg This back-cut isn't low. The hinge is evenly divided between compression and tension wood. unnamed-292.jpg unnamed-289.jpg Andy surveys the situation. unnamed-290.jpg

Back