How'd it go today?

Man, grendel... You're not kidding. Just beautiful. Great spot you guys live in over there.

Rich: Yeah, that kid sounds eminently trainable. Sounds like good blood, and worth the investment.

Weird day. Buncha little stuff like this (biggish Madrona--30"dbh--) Oh, man, how I wanted that firewood, but It had been promised to another. :cry: (Cue violins.... one heartsick inbred.)

Attachments

• unnamed-121.jpg
    unnamed-121.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-122.jpg
    unnamed-122.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-123.jpg
    unnamed-123.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-120.jpg
    unnamed-120.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 58
Madrone also makes a beautiful material to make things from, though it can be a bit twisty when drying. Shame for firewood really, a log that size, but then I am always saying that.

Back home after being off since last Thursday when I took a advanced pruning class taught by Ed Gilman. Mind still a whirl with theory and thoughts!
Then wife's birthday on Sanibel/ Captiva. Made the attempt today to do some comp practice but got rained out.

Must be a blip in the image Grendel... I wasn't in that top at all. That Madrona was only about 65' (bucket tree) but perspective can be pretty weird from these little flip-phone cams.

Yeah Jay, I've got a wonderful twisty piece that is yet really symmetrical that I think can be made into an axe handle.

Yeah Rich, the stuff takes absolutely FOREVER to cure, but when it finally is.... a wood stove will just (In this climate) have you throwing the windows open in the dead of winter.

I wear shorts and no shirt in the house most often in the winter. I'm a madrona horder.

What kind of crane is that?

Jaime, don't your have a big piece of madrona in your dirtbag cabin?

That shot's hilarious, Sean in that the "crane" in the pic is nothing more than a little knuckle-boom. It's got like a 30' reach, max. The thing's sweet though: it can pick the world. We beat the tar out of it... shock-load the crap out of it. Our shop old-timer John will bomb 12" by 16" firewood rounds of Fir into it from 90'... I'm not even kidding.

image.jpg
Inventory and dry out day. Bunch of slings in the washer still and most my rigging is still in the truck. I'll thank DMM for giving me a reason to do this today. Mine are all good at least

After about a month or so of playing around climbing to a beam in my shop I finally got a chance to get into a few trees this weekend. Played around in a maple yesterday, and a white oak today. Both were on my fathers property on the edge of woods over an old barn. Nothing special basically up and down. Did some minor limb walking. I may have gotten 30-35" up in the oak.
The property was logged pretty hard 2 years ago and the thick vegetation was terrible on the ground. It made my homemade throw line a pain, but I managed.
I must say advancing the line was the most troubling part of the whole deal. I suppose it was mostly due to my nerves and not wanting to take any chances. It may take me a few trips to trust the gear like you guys. I must say tho I am hooked!!! Big time!
Only managed to snap a few pics from up in the oak tree. The house is my parents place .

4abaf467823ca8567659a99aae2df4c3.jpg

f80db19ea8d8a0c0dc137c3a6aacb192.jpg

ba3626abab10b2b983d5f1eaca70c252.jpg

f605d8cc35306ce256f0611d51f93e43.jpg

Friday I went to the big estate where I do a lot of work, dead radiata pine next to the drive, just have to cut the limbs off over the drive, the rest leans into a paddock and can stay where it is for the moment...must be about 3' dbh...well it was windy, and my throwline was going everywhere, got a 10oz bag stuck...couldn't get the line down the back of the tree even with two bags, throwline is too old, all the slick has worn off. Went to town and spent money instead.
Today ordered new throwline with my Wesspur coupon...$36 instead of over $90AUD for the same length/brand !

Helped my friend cut down these trees for a freebie for the local church, they were leaning towards it, historical monument, first time in his cherry picker, with the two of us and gear we must have been pretty close to weight limit, he's like 130kg, I'm 50kg, add a 660 and a 200t and the odd catch and throw...eeek! He's got a loader, a big tipper, the cherry picker and is an ex-logger now famous chainsaw carver, handy guy to know :)
Last pic is the church from across the road, half dead sycamore we cut down the next day, picked up the job while doing the church trees.

Attachments

• DSC00628.jpg
    DSC00628.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00616.JPG
    DSC00616.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00625.JPG
    DSC00625.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 49
Famous landmark here...very pretty, dates from 1830ish I think.
We finished the day down the road a bit to put a new lanyard up the flagpole for the Wool Centre...they gave us a donation for the Fire Brigade

Attachments

• DSC00621.jpg
    DSC00621.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 40
He was referring to my post Butch.

Idiot/savant, Cory, I think, would be the term. His dad is (was) literally a rocket scientist. His brother is a very successful engineer, and his other bro, a high-dollar buis. man. John can tell you what parts virtually any motor might ever need just by the sound of the thing, and he can get it fixed almost as fast. The guy is just unbelievable. He is the ONLY guy in our shop whom the managers simply do not mess with, because he's fixed everything in our shop about 30 times over. I guess they figure... if he wants to beat the flatbed of our (super old) crane up by pounding rounds into it, it's a small price to pay to keep him... well I won't say "happy," but, uhh.... Now that I'm taking pics, I can't wait to get some pics up of the guy. He looks kinda like Darth Vader in a green hooded sweatshirt.

Fiona! Insane pics! Beautiful!

Interesting. Sounds like a good guy to have around, now.

I have noticed that people that beat the f outta their equipment are frequently good at fixing it, so, when it breaks its no big deal.

Yeah, he's somethin else. No good pics today. Two days of fine pruning.... one down and one to go. Honey locust had no thorns! :D
unnamed-125.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-124.jpg
    unnamed-124.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 48
great pics.

Jed, I've had a roll for the past 3 weeks on those shademaster or sunburst or what-ever thornless honey locusts. HH sure made short work of them.

Back