How'd it go today?

Right you are Raj. On both accounts (they must have been Sunburst). I'm a relative newcomer to SRT, and now--like so many other things--just cannot imagine how in the world one ever got along without it.

What did folks do before blowers? Sweep the whole driveway? :lol:

Yes, no biggie. But of course blowers are worlds better.

This ones for Jim, promised i'd get the dozer on the beach.

Little short staffed today, but the wind was a nice light South Easterly, not something we're likely to see much more of. Feel like the loss of directional control wasn't worth the little face cut, which I totally talked myself into after initial inspection (originally thought we'd slide line everything). . . Whatever, not very exciting, but it was fun to pull off. Dozered everything out, even the big choked pile of dead limbs. Probably can't chip till next week, but I've got two trees worth in a big pile off the driveway. Rambling. . . cheers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2AP0sNARWI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GOPR0151.jpg

Didn't have much faith in it.

Usually wouldn't pull off the cage like that, but, I did. :/:

Tight solo takedown on a smallish 4 leader live oak in a backyard. My partner sprained his ankle and broke the little toe on the same foot last week is the reason I'm flying alone. The only way to get all the material out was through a narrow archway, a real pain in the butt. Had to slice and dice pretty small and my tree trolley barely fit. Ddrt on the HH worked well though. Spent most of the day there, but my acoustic advertiser (201T) got me another similar job across the street. The last tree for me before I head west on Wednesday.
Love that dozer vid! Almost got your feet wet.

Friday I went to the big estate where I do a lot of work, dead radiata pine next to the drive, just have to cut the limbs off over the drive, the rest leans into a paddock and can stay where it is for the moment...must be about 3' dbh...well it was windy, and my throwline was going everywhere, got a 10oz bag stuck...couldn't get the line down the back of the tree even with two bags, throwline is too old, all the slick has worn off. Went to town and spent money instead.
Today ordered new throwline with my Wesspur coupon...$36 instead of over $90AUD for the same length/brand !

Helped my friend cut down these trees for a freebie for the local church, they were leaning towards it, historical monument, first time in his cherry picker, with the two of us and gear we must have been pretty close to weight limit, he's like 130kg, I'm 50kg, add a 660 and a 200t and the odd catch and throw...eeek! He's got a loader, a big tipper, the cherry picker and is an ex-logger now famous chainsaw carver, handy guy to know :)
Last pic is the church from across the road, half dead sycamore we cut down the next day, picked up the job while doing the church trees.

Fiona, I would leave the limbs on over the road, and climb and cripple the huge limbs on the undersides a little while going up, coming down one the road side, not under the crippled limbs.

I wouldn't want to have that tree stand up on those limbs, and have to fight it to the ground.

FWIW.

Sometimes the depths of my stupidity is astounding.

My daughter was messing around outside at lunch, so I had Richard boy go fetch her.

I says to Richard boy, "go tell sissy to get her ass in here". So Richard boy walks outside and yells, "sissy, dad says get your ass in here". He comes in and announces, "I told sissy to get her ass in here dad".

Thanks Richard boy.:big-bat:

Too thick can be bad, too. You can split a tree, barber chairing it into the building.

Sean: It seemed like he put an anti-barber-chair provision on that thing with the yellow strap.

Thorough professionalism, Grendel.

Yeah, Jim: Don't give em' an inch or they'll take a mile man.... every time. :lol:

Indeed Sam did. Didn't see it was a video when looking on my phone. Tree went to the lay.

FWIW, I like my webbing buckle or chain biner on the back side to reduce risk off it getting squashed.

I prefer to have light tension, stand it up on wedges, supporting it, cut a thinner hinge, and pull.

Again, I wasn't there, and it went to the lay.

We were pulling a big hemlock away from an historic CCC kitchen shelter one time, too thick of a hinge. I didn't want to cut too thin, since it was rotten hemlock. It started to split the stump. Another case of helmet radios being too expensive for State Parks, and a situation that could have gone seriously wrong. I wasn't going to head back in to cut more hinge unexpectedly, and he was winching from out of sight through tall brush. It worked. No crushed, irreplaceable historic building.

Did a good deed Sunday and helped a neighbor, a tree guy that got out and refers his calls to me. He wanted help with a dead sugar pine, just pull the top he cuts. He got injured some years ago and is out of shape. I set him up on the Wraptor. We did the deed and had a nice visit. Went over to another neighbor and account and picked up a sugar pine log I had dropped the HO gave us.
Went home and worked more on the flat bed and was getting ready for today and all this week. 4 days of camping out and taking down trees over 2 hours from here. Soooooo we rolled.
tmp_1784-IMG_20150914_141809915895624615.jpg
So we get there to set up camp for tomorrow. Trees all down and the job is done.
Lady no home. I called her cell. We had words. We go back Weds. and get phase two going. I about fired her. So we will stay at her house. She is cooking and I get a serious trip charge for the effort today. I will make her apologise to me several more times over 3 days. I promise you.
She damn near got fired today. Just wait till she sees my bill :evil:

So she had hired in someone else to do the first part of the job? After setting it up with you? Sounds like it'll be a comfortable few days sharing her house with her. Lol.

Sounds like a strange deal Stephen...good luck with that.

Picked up my old Bass today...She's playing SWEET and sounding badass! 8) Looking forward to taking it out to jam next weekend.

I love the work he did on it. He found a few more spots that needed glued up on it (to be expected on a 1940 plywood instrument), on top of his original estimate...he split the difference of the extra cost which I thought was nice.

Can't say enough about the high quality workmanship and amount of knowledge these guys have. It's always a treat to deal with those who excel in their craft.

Me too, although I don't think I would have the patience to learn to play it. You can get a pretty good fat thuddy acoustic bass sound from an electric, but it doesn't have the same stage presence.

I have set in with a blue grass band a few times. NO electricity!

I used to get drunk and sit my electric on my amp and play it standing up, so I guess I was ready, but apart from muscle memory and a good ear, playing an upright did not seem too much different from my electric.

I repaired an electric bass fairly recently, I think it fell over or something and got a gnarly crack around a control knob. You could push the wood in around the crack with your finger. I couldn't figure why the wood on the face of the guitar over the electrics was so thin, it seemed like a mistake when it was made. Maybe they wanted to make it light, but the rest below the neck was a solid body. The guy liked my repair, so he is rocking out again. It occurs that a lot of guitars may look cool, but their making might lead for something better to be desired.

Back