How'd it go today?

My hired man\buddy used to always be complaining about the weather. I finally asked him " so Rick, is it ever just right?" He did get my poiint but he did have the perfect scenario, 70 degrees , low humidity, nice breeze. He quit whining though.

That is the perfect scenario. I got a guy on my crew that would bitch if you hung him with a new rope. Had him flagging the other day while we were clearing a creek bank and he had the nerve to radio us that he thought he was getting heat exhaustion. He has been tossed between crews this year because nobody can handle him for to long. Only reason the boss doesn't let him go is he is one hell of a rope man.

Never heard them called dog hair. We always refer to them as woods trees or bean pole.

That's interesting Mick. There's a type of cultural despondency here. When people come up here from other parts of the country to work in our shop for a bit... they all seem, to us, like so many Barbie dolls.

Cobleskil: :lol:

I've always believed one should enjoy what they do for a living...hearing too many complaints may lead me to suggest that they go home and search for a career that they would like better:/:

It was interesting to read this just after I got off the phone with timbertramp (Nic) listening to him vent about the crew he was working with arguing with each other all day...on the most beautiful day they have had to work in a couple months...I'm not missing it.

Man I got a good scald on my MS 250c today. That sucker cuts like a hot knife! I am proud of my self.

Took 6 strokes per tooth, so it was over due. It was trying to burn through the wood.

Another outfit here hired a couple of germans that were NOT woodsmen ( One was a housepainter) to cut x-mas trees.
Since the boss was out of town and I was working in the area, he asked me to take a run over and check on them.
When I got there, one was felling a tree, standing in a bluish cloud of woodsmoke.
He was literally trying to burn through it.

So I walked up to him and when he stopped the saw, told him in German: " I have some matches in the truck" ( Ich habe Streichhöltzer ins Auto)
Dude lokks at me uncomprehendingly, so I told him, I though he was trying to start a camp fire.

Still didn't get it, so I sharpened his saw and cut a few trees to show him how.
I don't doubt that after he rocked the chain ( Which is a given when doing x-mas trees) he went back to the good old burn Motherf...., burn, method.

Got home from work and no power. Grabbed an electric bill and drove to town to use the cell phone. Actually spoke to a real person to report the outage. Turned around and drove home. Passed a National Grid truck half mile from home and the power was back on. There was a huge vine wrapped around my transformer when I left, and a pile of vine in the road when I got back. They had the power fixed in less than twenty minutes. Unbelievable. There must have been a truck close by when I called.

I've always believed one should enjoy what they do for a living...hearing too many complaints may lead me to suggest that they go home and search for a career that they would like better:/:

It was interesting to read this just after I got off the phone with timbertramp (Nic) listening to him vent about the crew he was working with arguing with each other all day...on the most beautiful day they have had to work in a couple months...I'm not missing it.

Man, Fid... I wish that this quote could be preserved somewhere in the House... bears repeating. How's the new instrument, btw?

Eternal safety meeting today... Took three hours, so we still had to pull-in over a thousand bucks... Easy safety prune on a Maple and Sweetgum... crummy shot...

unnamed-119.jpg

done!

Jed, it's awwesome! took it in and had it set up more to my specs...I doubt I'll ever need another one. Now if I could get my skill level up to matching the instrument I'd be all set:lol:

Loved the set-up that was done on my fiddle so well that I brought my Bass in to have them work on that (a bit more extensive than the fiddle)...should be getting it back in a day or so...really looking forward to seeing how it plays and sounds when it is done.

Really...slow, syrupy sound, too smooth, lacking in emotion...I prefer women who can sing the blues...Aretha, Coco Taylor, Sarah Vaughn, Janis Siegel...

Just poking in and out.....lurking here and there. Working a lot.

Life is crazy.
We were on our way to Monterey for 5 year wedding anniversary without the kid when we were rear ended driving 30.....the lady hit us doing over 60.....no brakes no nothing.

Anniversary gift...no injuries..and the kid wasn't in the car. Life is a gift

acaf27b82037e305d8ba7e37594df33a.jpg

5cc05a2eb6a057ce3db350abdbc12d5e.jpg

Better than a lawsuit...... :)

We took the 300 year old maple , that I condemned a couple of weeks ago, down.
Bitch of a tree. Side lean, narrow lay and as it turned out, when I dropped the first branch, a nest of giant hornets in a cavity 8 feet above ground level.
Oh well.
Then to further make things interesting, the owner of the castle called me and told they had a crew from our national TV making a show about the castle and they wanted some action footage.
So they dropped by and filmed while I did some derring do aloft.
Then Richard was nice enough to tell then where to place a camera, so they'd get most out of filming the felling.
That meant that on an already tricky tree, I had to be precise enough to not hit the camera.
We had reduced the side lean by removing a lot of the crown on that side. Not fun to do, the tree turned out to be in worse state than I'd estimated. Only a couple of inches of sound wood on the outside holding the top up.
I think even Guy would have given that one a death sentense.

Well, like Jerry says, sometimes you just gotta cowboy up and do her.
I took a hand full of antihistamines ( Did I mention that I'm allergic to hornets?) fired up the 880 and dropped the tree right in the middle of the lay.
Didn't even get stung.In fact none of us got stung, even when we were bucking it. Can't figure why. Those critters are normally so agressive.

Richard was keeping everyone out of the drop zone while I dropped the tree and he later told me that the female anchor person got so shocked when the tree fell, that she more or less jumped into his arms.
Camera crew absolutely loved it. So did the owner of the castle.
So I'll be a hero on national TV soon.
Too bad I don't have a TV to watch it on.

We had a forwarder there to clean up. Those are hard to beat for big wood:)

Back