How'd it go today?

Surely there is a zero or something missing there...
Hell, if I could get 10K for a big elm...
Around here that MIGHT be picked up by a woodworker for no charge but usually it wood either becomes firewood or we have to pay to dump it.

Read my post again, guys!
I wrote:Solid burr!!! Yea, I know it's the english term, it's called burl in america.
That stuff is really rare, and with almost all the elms gone, even rarer.
I've sold some logs to german buyers over the years, so I have a good idea of the value.
It is cut into veneer and used for furniture.
BMW uses it in their 700 series cars to distinguish them from the english luxury cars, which are paneled in walnut burl.
10 grand is a high price, but this was ( before it rotted up!) the finest grade of elm burl with real tiny "eyes".
Also the dollar to kroner exchange rate is very low these days, so 10000 $ is not a lot of money here, compared to what it was 10 years ago.
First picture is veneer, second picture is a large bowl I made for the Danish museum of wood some years back.

Attachments

• CarpathianElmBurl.JPG
    CarpathianElmBurl.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 44
  • oddense2.jpg
    oddense2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 44
Ha, I didn't catch the 4 inch DBH the first time around. That must be some purty wood.;):P

Hauled off the old bedroom furniture and pushed up the burn pile where I dump at. Worked on Mama's 'puter, I think we have finally killed the virus on it so we can post pics again!!
Got a call about a stump removal, 6" Cedar, tree was gone and they had "worked" on it for four hours and wanted it gone. "No problem, $45hr two hour minimum". She about had a come apart. "Well, well, can't you do this for an hour rate?" Nope, and I explained, as I am sure most of you have about loading and drive time etc. She finally agreed, got there had it out and the yard smoothed back out in twenty minuets.
"Well, thats just not right, I timed you, you were only here for twenty minuets!!!"
"Yup, and it took me an hour to do a twenty min. drive, and I have to go home and do it all over again."
I hate people like that!! Friking $90 for something that would have taken these idiots three days to do! Who got screwed?:X

Thats why you flat quote them, Don't quote hourly prices, people always think they are getting the short end of the stick.

Howdy everyone, I still don't have my computer fixed but I fixed my daughter's (LJ's girlfriend) and have it to play with until mine is going. I did a small mistletoe removal job this morning and then worked on restoring my kid's computer this afternoon. My Wife's best friend was found dead in her home on New Year's day. She was an off and on again PCP addict, and that was most likely the cause IMO.

Welcome back, Steve. Hope you get your 'puter problems resolved soon. Sorry to hear about your wife's friend, addiction can be a real bitch.

Not necessary Andy. I knew this would happen someday. She didn't have much family so she came to our house on Thanksgiving and I called her on Christmas day to remind her that she was supposed to come over and left a message. She didn't like to be around my Wife and I if she was using, so we were pretty used to her just kind of disappearing for long stretches. So when she didn't show up for Christmas or call back we thought this was just another "disapperance". We received word today that she had already been dead for a week or more on Christmas Day when I called her.

Had a tough brushing job today on a bad slope we have been waiting on perfect conditions to get into. Steep slope above a seasonal creek chock full of manzanita. With everything being wet from last nights rain and this mornings frost, it was perfect. Tight burn spots trying to save what we can of the larger manzanita and trees. Got most of the worst part of the slope done today and have better terrain to look forward to next visit. Calling the homeowner to get the next date scheduled.
Today went great and I am getting on feeling better and have more strength back and energy from the asthma/bronchitis thing.

Steve... Sorry to hear you and the Mrs going through that. Expected or not, it is still rough. Hard while they are alive and when they die. Let your wife know our thoughts are with her.

That's tough Steve. Having an addict friend or relative is like watching someone die a bit at a time. I am sure that some of the grieving over the loss of your wife's friend was underway while she was alive.

We had a good day here in Boiseland. The kid and I finally went skiing and so did half the town. When we headed up the hill to the skii resort the sign said the lot was already 90% full. We were lucky and found parking a moderate distance from the slopes. Since we only went for a half day and stayed on the bunny slopes, the kids lift ticket was free and mine was ten bucks. Gear rentals was only around forty bucks so it was fairly affordable for a tree guy in his midwinter slump. Haley remembered a lot of last years lessons and did better the less I said to her. She never wanted to stop and while her friends were warming up in the lodge, we were taking the lift one more time. She did however slump over in her car seat like a lifeless sack of potatoes on the way home and now WIDE AWAKE and laying on the office floor. If I could have kept her awake on the drive home she'd be passed out now. Its an impossible task to drive down a mountain and try to keep a kid awake. I need squirt gun in the car.

That is a surprise, usually the Westerns just flop over at the first sight of a snow pile.

Trip edge on the MVP+ wiseguy.:P

Western's rule the roost out west here.

The repair job seems to be holding strong so far, plowed a bunch today/tonight and lots more snow in the forecast.

I can't beleive the number of plowable events we're getting here it's unreal. Barely getting caught up from the last snow and possibly another 6"s tomorrow.

Bring it.:big-hang-loose:

Back