How'd it go today?

That's good news Al, both the family thing and the wind farms. I think the movement towards wind and solar will provide a lot of jobs for this country, and allow us to be more independent of foreign oil, or more independent of oil period. They call those new jobs "green" collar.

That wind farm thing is just a long time coming .

The coal to liquid fuel is cost efficient when crude oil is around 80 a barrel . The technology is fast approaching to make it more cost efficient . I think Ohio by itself has 4 to 500 years of known coal reserves .

They should have gotten on the band wagon decades ago to produce clean burning coal .Things like the fluidized bed burner have been around since the turn of the last century just never further investigated because of the cost involved .The time is ripe ,time to get with the program .

We use that tecnique on our coalpowered powerplants here.
But I know we are way ahead of everybody else with it.
They are working on a huge new plant in former east germany, using danish know-how. So things are happening to make coal less polluting.

Putting my 'farmer hat' back on as my husband went back to work this morning. It was nice to be be back out there, really. Nicer if it had been colder and the ground frozen hard though.

I can choose to be an old climber, or a fat climber. I cannot be an old, fat climber, though.
Wise, Butch. I've been complaining about how OLD I feel lately, but I think what I'm feeling is FAT. I think it is definitely time, but it's been a fun ride I'll have to say. Good that I got to experience Moose Tracks without any guilt though!

Got a big 40 foot storage container ordered. This one is a bit taller than some at 9.5 feet. I'm going to finally get my carport back, I'm pretty excited about it. :D (thank-you Santa)

A storage box is an alternative for storage ,often rather reasonable depending on where you find one . A 40 foot van is another option .

But I know we are way ahead of everybody else with it.
I'll have to admit you are correct ,wind power as well .

Things are just slower to change on this continent for some reason . Then on the other hand some bright idea might be sidelined for what ever reason and somebody else perfects it later .

Nothing though seems to really new and earth shattering just more of a technology or concept that has been around for eons but whose time had not yet come .

Finally got a "warm" day. About time I got that block heater in the chipper. Rented a slide hammer, just ended up tapping the corner though, pivoted in the middle, grasp with pliers and done. That was easy.

Got a call back to schedule some work for a Housing Athority in Alabama. A nice hazardus deadwood removal that I bid back in September.

Of course I can't do it tomorrow because their maint. people (no cleanup from me) are off for eve and new years.

Can't complain too much, I need the work and my biggest expense on that job (gas) is now 1/3 what it was in September, and the price stays the same :).

Well today kinda sucked for me. Nice warm day and a mistle toe job. Got 20 foot up and quit. I am just not back to climbing yet. No lungs or stamina since the bronchitis and asthma episode. Apologized to home owner and scheduled it for another day. Just did not feel safe and up to it. Work and work out some more and work my way back up to it. Maybe be better in a week or so. Friggen aggravating though. :(

No work today other than bill paying and banking. The wife and I are going to look into buying a new Honda Element this afternoon. We may buy if the deals are good.

Consider the mileage before you purchase if you worry about that sort of thing. I think the element is cool as all heck, but my wife doesn't, so she drives a gas guzzling ridgeline. My FIL has considered a element but he figures the mileage difference between his civic is to hard to swallow.

So what's this element gizmo,electric ? Well they will go as far as the cord will let you I suppose . Put on a tralier hitch and tow a generater .:lol:

It's not electric
honda_element.jpg

My coworker has one that looks just like that one. It's a cool ride, but doesn't get as much economy as I'd like to see. Maybe 22 around town. I'd like one for hauling my tools in, but if I could afford it, I could afford to fix my truck. Maybe I'll go freeze my ass off and see if I can get the transmission out.:/:

Just got back from Maryland... 8hr drive... It was nice to go up and see family and hear about things that have changed up there.

Turns out a guy I used to work with almost died though. I'm really glad dudes ok. None of those guys wear helmets. He got thrown from his bucket truck ~ 30ft, smashed his noggin, and lived. Apparently, they were moving branches on straps with the bucket (not sure if they were rigging onto it or just moving with), and the strap broke as he was moving the piece to the drop zone, which turned the bucket into a sling shot. The guy is the son of the Biz owner. ...crazy.

Yeah, I was passing by Charlotteville around 2-3 today. That's a pretty town. I know a few people from there. You don't know a girl named Sage that does tree work up there do ya? We were on a crew down here together, but she worked up there a few summers doing mostly lightning protection, pruning, etc...

Heres what I got up to today, cleaning up my yard. Every year a local farmer lets me do a burn at his place, so I get to clean out the junk.....

Dont look that big but some of that stuff is huge

Attachments

• dumping.jpg
    dumping.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 13
  • wl.jpg
    wl.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 15
No work today other than bill paying and banking. The wife and I are going to look into buying a new Honda Element this afternoon. We may buy if the deals are good.

Well we did it, we bought a new Element. They had a certified used one with a longer warranty and four grand cheaper but it was grey and the wife clearly wanted the new red one. Sometimes the wise decision isn't the correct one and she got the shiny new red one. We live in Idaho and just about every really pretty place is at the end of a dirt road and the civic just wasn't right for us anymore. I think we will go skiing and camping more with this vehicle. If you don't get out and enjoy the out of doors here, there is no reason to live here.

girls! you coulda had a element and a chip dump/utility box! in shiny red to make up for it all!

Back