How'd it go today?

Pretty sketchy Andrey. Did you do anything with that tree today?

Back felt pretty bad today, but work was laid back. Temps were good, so if not for my back, it would have been a good day for hauling logs. Got home and made my first splice in treemaster, and no, y'all aren't getting any pics :^D Looks like shit. I think it would hold ok, but perhaps not 100% abs like an eye splice is supposed to be. It's a broken piece of rope I've been using as a sling. I might put an eye into the other end, and try to refine my method, but not tonight. I'm a little burned out on it. Treemaster's kind of a bitch.

Got out yesterday and set the poles around our octagon. Going to string lights around it. My dad brought his tractor and auger over and dig the holes. I stopped him a little shy on several so we had to dig them a bit deeper. I would use my left hand to plunge six or eight times, then met my wife dig out the loose. For all eight braced and cemented in.

I went out this morning and set up the level and ran a line on them to mark them so I can cut them off when I can use my right hand/arm again. A southpaw I am not... Got to round the corners with a router, run a pipe around the top and we’ll be ready for lights.

Ok so we survived. Missed a car accident that happened right next to us. I have no idea how we didn't wreck with the lift. Probably 50 mph crash. One of the vehicles came into our lane, during rush hour. 🙏 car next to us so I couldn't swerve. Inches!
Got back to the shop at 7:30.
And no wires were pulled down.

Most of the time I made really good money on a side job (the only kind I did), I ended the day feeling...well not beat, I have to say...more like content :).

Two words...better bidding :D.

Bummed I didn't take any picks today, it was a decent one. Fell, limbed, and bucked 25 medium to decent-sized hazard pondos in the Cal-Wood Fire burn scar north of Boulder, CO today. We're laying them cross-slope in small cup trenches for erosion control and spreading the limbs and brush. A no chipper day to boot! Had a blast mentoring some up and coming fire fellers, great to get them some trigger time on real-life cat faced snags and some good hang-ups in an environment where we have time.

I still charge friends n family 25 bugs an hour to risk my bloody neck aloft n on the ground!

Told yu I was despicable n deplorable!

Jomo

I have a couple of mates who understand the "give and take mentality" .I help them with trees and they help me with Auto Electrics,deals on tyres etc. Everyone else gets charged,somehow people dont think Treework has a genuine value. Few people would expect their Plumber buddy to work all day for a cup of coffee and a handshake.

Sad thing is that machinery will nearly always break on the free jobs too.

I don't like side work as it pertains to surveying, especially property jobs. It can turn into a real time sink where you're chasing problems across the county. Besides, I'm not crazy about it when I'm getting paid for it. If I help you with surveying, it's because I like you, and the money isn't of any interest. I don't want to be there anyway, and any reasonable pay amount won't make it any better.

No it was a piece of shit tree heavy lean and should be removed. But she wanted to keep it so I reduced the crown drastically to lessen the weight and height so if it does fail it will clear her garage.

Most of the time I made really good money on a side job (the only kind I did), I ended the day feeling...well not beat, I have to say...more like content :).

Two words...better bidding :D.
Bid at my day rate no chipper no mini just me, my guy, Enzo (lifts name), and my brother. Reasonably short drag to the road. Did mention that every tree was over a set of wires. I set a highline and rigged the biggest limbs with that were over his garage.

I got paid $5 for doing nothing. I went to the store, mainly to get candy for halloween, and when I was leaving aldi, the guy near me was turning his key and getting the click of despair. He popped the hood, and took some pliers up while I hung out in my truck to make sure he got off ok. He tapped the terminals, turned the key, and it fired up. He sees me watching, and said it was a loose cable. I told him I was hanging out to make sure he got going. He thanked me, I wished him a good day, and took off. I hear a loud whistle, and trun the truck around to see what he needs. He tosses a $5 bill in the truck, thanked me again for waiting, and walked away.

Back