How'd it go today?

Well, Paisley, the dog, wandered off. We havebeen spending all evening looking for her. Turns out, some vacationers were worried she would get hit by a car and took her to the B&B about a mile up the road. A neighbor got the missing pet alert on an app she has and called us. Momma happy, dog happy, kids happy, other dogs happy. Better than tears all night by any measure. Paisley is scheduled to get her chip next week.

Can you put a quick stitch in your straps with a blunt needle?
It was for the straps sliding out of adjustment.
I did that with success on a previous saddle. It doesn't need much to prevent the screeping.
My present saddle is an srt model and has two straps to lose/adjust each time to put it off or on. I have to fight them to make them move, both ways. I'd prefer a central quick buckle by far, like a regular saddle but just a bit on the side. The designers can't grasp that, regardless of the brand.

Looking forward to my rotation at the plant being over with.

Got a full day of climbing on Thursday and most of a day on Friday. New boss seems cool. He’s big on renting miniskids to keep things easy on the ground crew, and he’s pretty smooth on the ropes. Sometime in November he’ll own an MT-85, I think, no more renting. His couple ground guys are good enough. They’re sober and smart enough. Easy to get along with. Makes the day more enjoyable when there’s humor and everyone is friendly.
Really had a good time climbing last week.
Tomorrow I got some small stumps to grind and I gotta close the pool for winter. Getting cold again.

Went to the physio today to check on the hands progress.

Last time the score on the hand grip dynomometer was 80lbs of squeeze on my right hand. This time I pulled 110, 108 and 100. So up a bit but still some way to go. At least the exercises seem to be showing marked improvement.

The rest of me feels great for the Muay Thai training a couple of times a week.

Forgot. Yesterday, the boss' girlfriend gave me an arrangement from some birch I gave her early this year I think...

IMG_20211019_074704.jpg

Boss mentioned needing a sycamore removed on a job. I might be able to get her some interesting wood from that. Laid out a couple houses today. Nothing exciting. I went down to the wood I hauled out already hoping I got lucky cutting some to the length I need, but they were all too short. thought about cutting and hauling out logs, but I wasn't feeling it. Went home and did some yard stuff there.

Starting to feel rushed. Seems like I go months making work up with no real goal, then suddenly have a bunch of stuff to do that needs to get done...

Easy morning removals. The. Got called to assist in retrieving a broke down stump grinder. Brought in our normal crane guy for the lift. Just shy of 25k lbs. 3 parts of line,21 foot radius, and skillful backing under with the semi trailer. It was a bit nerve wracking. About 3 hours in loading and off loading. We had a nice talk about work through out the process.
Im gonna get cleaned up and go to bed early. I’ve been waking earlier and I’m feeling it lately.

Pre commercial thinning in heavy rain all day.
Taking unwanted Sitka spruce and Doug fir out of beech. By 9 AM we were already soaked through.
Couldn't have been wetter if we'd jumped in the harbour.
One crappy day.

Not much.
But we are having a prospective apprentice out on a test run this week, gave us a chance to see what he is made of.........he didn't complain.

When we want a new apprentice, I have a deal with a teacher at the preliminary forestry school. He'll pick us a likely candidate, then we can get him/her on trial for a week at no cost, to see if we can work with each other.
This one has impressed us so far: he can think for himself and ahead, he is in great shape ( Does BJJ, I haven't quite figured out at what level yet) has some knowledge of chain saws and already has down most tree names in Danish and latin.

Monday we were dead wooding a large Maple by the local church ( Being godless atheists we gouged them on the price, of course) and while I was waiting for Richard to tie a brach off, the apprentice wanna-be went out to the truck, started the chipper and set to chipping, without being told to.
That is rare!

Day kicked my ass a bit. The tasks weren't that difficult, but the terrain was terrible, and my back was already sore. Also had to keep the boss straight on the gun. He's not the worst I've trained, but he's a spaz, pushes the wrong button, and can't recover. I have to talk him through it over the radio.

Curious thing. They finally fixed the broken waterline, so work on that bridge could start. It had been leaking a long time, and there were deepish pools of water next to the RR tracks. There were little fish in there. Wonder how they got there?

I don’t generally run it. Did a few hours and that was enough for me. It demolished the stumps though. A 30” stump is gone in about 4 passes.
mall I know is a hydraulic part failed and the cab needs removed to access it. It can be done from underneath but our mech said he’s a few years past benchpressing that much with one hand while trying to align bolts.

Ha I hear ya. Some of that mechanic chit is hard core.

I can see with that power it will nuke stumps but what happens if there are big boulders or ledge etc, can the teeth take it?

Any idea how the decision tree goes regarding when is it better to grind stumps in place vs ripping them out and grinding them with a tub grinder/recycler?

Back