How'd it go today?

Always wanted some northern Alaskan rain gear, which I hope's a long skirted tunic, to keep the taughtline hitch from soaking your lap in the rain.

Jomo

Half day at the shop getting some things taken care of so I’m not bothered next week. Then home to work on getting things ready for winter. Lit a small fire and cooked hot dogs with the kids. We’re watching Halloween themed cartoons now. I got to get up early and finish a few things outside in the morning before we get more rain. Also need to scrounge up some 2x4’s. My daughter wants to build a wood rack so she doesn’t have to walk clear to the firewood stack every time the fire needs some more wood.

Went to aldi this morning. Forgot to get canola for my saws yesterday. Also scored some more candied almonds. They get them in from Germany in the fall. Sometimes... The aldi I usually go to didn't have them. I got eight bags a couple weeks ago, and another five bags today. I love those things.

Back's still sore, but I can do stuff, so I fed the burn barrel most of the day. It rained last night, so it was a good time to do it, though it wasn't as cool as I'd like. Burned the hair off my arms, and I got a nice burn on one of my arms when I was shoving branches in, and one broke. I lost my balance, and pressed my arm against the rim of the barrel. Always something... Wasn't a bad day. Probably have 2-3 more burn sessions to get everything cleaned as well as I'd like.

It’s like Christmas morning cleaning out my garage. I’m finding things I forgot I had. Also my drinking must have been way worse than I thought. I’m finding things I can’t remember buying. 2- 25” ultralight bars for example. Brand new in the box. For what they cost I know I wouldn’t have bought 2 spares unless inebriated🤔

Rich, if it’s a purchase you’re now regretting, I’d buy one or trade for one of them. I need a 24”/25” bar.
Stihl? 3/8 .050?

I have Monday and Tuesday off these days… need something to do…
I just look at vans for sale on the internet…. and ride the dirt bike out the back to the Los Padres NF.
Might work for someone local or try and work at my friends bakery.

Last edited:
@Jonny I don’t regret it. Just can’t for the life of me remember buying them.
had a good day today. Three good sized crane removals. I set chokers and cut on the first one and the. Was setting chokers on the last two so Ryan could cut from the bucket. Rained just enough to soak my rope. Wet underwear all afternoon kinda sucks

I always have something I can do, but my body or the weather doesn't always cooperate. I'm fine doing nothing also. Bakery work gets old after awhile. For a short while I thought I might want to be pastry chef, but I was cured of that.

I didn't do anything today. Boss messed up his back this weekend doing fencing. Sorry ass company we got going here. A bunch of gimps :^D My back is still not up to wrestling logs. I looked into mounting a light duty winch I have, but I couldn't find anything ready made. I'll have to either buy something, or actively cut/install holes, and I didn't feel like it today.

Full rain suit day. Stayed basically dry and warm.

Watched the wind closely.

Had lunch in the truck on the phone with my lady.

Late in the season dahlia flower at home.

Built the fire at gf's when i got back.

Petting Jack The Dog.

Dinner to come.

Was going to have a new climber/ feller start one day a week... he has root disease at his new house and wanted to stay closer to home rather than doing no deadline tree work, likely in windy rain. I didn't think it was a good first day.

Maybe next week.

My mom fell three times recently.

She is out of likely-successful surgery, and will be going to a rehab facility for a bit, after some time in the hospital.
My brother lives with her. My other brother is in another Chicago suburb that's 30 minutes away.
I'll be headed that way in some time. Not sure when.

Halloween with D should be fun.
I'm going to be a giraffe.

Attachments

• 20211024_173714.jpg
    20211024_173714.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Work was routine. Back's better enough. If nothing stupid happens tonight, I should be able to start wrestling logs tomorrow. When I was looking for some stuff for the winch yesterday, I found two lanyards, one of which was broken. Years ago, I tried to unstick a truck with them(it didn't work). I took the broken one, and made a loop. I was hoping it would be long enough for a prusik, but I didn't quite make it. Rope's pretty gnarly anyway. I couldn't really trust it. It's kind of a medium lay(?) 3strand. Turned out better than the one the other day, but it's still ugly. I think I messed up the tucks also. It doesn't look quite right. I have a thing now anyway...

IMG_20211026_191121.jpg

Well, I've been joking all summer that we're Due for an October Nor'Easter storm flattening trees. One in 2017, one in 2019, and there's one coming in today/ tomorrow.

The wind wasn't extreme but lots of rain in CT

We got drenched. Something like 4" overnight. Fire Dept. had to rescue 3 idiots who didn't learn from Ida last month (drove their cars through "puddles"; completely submerging 1 and up to the windows on the other 2). Darwin awards ceremony pending....

Another crane day. Removed a rather large and sprawling pin oak. Equipment issues slowed us down. Also had a guy take a face full of sawdust early on and had to be taken home because he couldn’t see out of one eye. It was that fine sawdust that sneaks up under your shield and glasses. Four and a half loads of chips and a semi trailer (low boy) full of logs.
Got home early enough to eat dinner with the wife and kids. Now I’m getting ready to rest up for another fun day tomorrow

Back