How'd it go today?

Another boring day. I got off work a little early and considered working on my project, but decided to go home and clean up for the halloweenies this weekend. I had a bunch of wood accumulated in the driveway. Split a bunch of locust, and neatly stacked the hickory branches I collected. I still have to manipulate the wood, but I'm not sure where I'm gonna put it at this point. It's all tidier anyway.

Another beautiful, grey day.
Second day of slight canopy raising at the golf course today. About 80 trees done so far, should be done tomorrow with the trimming & 4-5 removals. Not used to this any more...I'm a wee bit sore. :lol:

Holding off on mowing, hoping we can get away with only once more for the season.

Second day of slight canopy raising at the golf course today. About 80 trees done so far, should be done tomorrow with the trimming & 4-5 removals. Not used to this any more...I'm a wee bit sore. :lol:

What tools are you using, reachable with a chain saw or power pruner or what?

About 1/2 chainsaw & 1/2 manual pole saw. Pruners haven't been needed much so far; those get used through the summer here & there. Been 4 years since I raised the majority of everything, so it's time to cut out the droopers so folks can walk & drive under everything.

Last edited:
What I call a power pruner is yes a motorized pole saw. I'd be lost without ours!

Lol how do you effectively use a chainsaw on a stick? From a bucket for some reason I'm not seeing, while climbing to do something, etc?

99% of the time its from the ground or from the bucket of the lwheel oader. It is extendable. Great tool. Saves loads of time and the need to climb to get low limbs. Use it from the bucket maybe a couple times/year.

I used one a few days ago at the farm. Broken twisted pine linb about 10 feet up which I had already pulled by hand and couldn't get it to break loose. Been there for a month or two until I could finally get to it. I could have put a ladder up I guess, or climb the tree but with the stihl pole saw I just reached up, lessened some of the load on it with end cuts and pieced it out. I have also used it to trip a sketchy cut where I didn't want to be close to the cut.. done that a few times. I've got a vid somewhere I will post

The Echo one is really nice, the handle and ergonomics are just way more comfy than the weedwacker trigger thing on Stihl pole saw.

I’m waiting on feedback on the newer battery ones. I get by fine with normal poles with a big ass Japanese blade, plus climbing, but for sure it’d save me some time.

When I was in line clearance we used hydraulic stick saws from a bucket...loved them! Not too sure I'd want to have an engine attached to it though...

Most of what I'm taking out takes one pull or two on the pole saw...hardly worth starting an engine.

I'm looking forward to electric.

I think it has less vibration.

With the Stihl KombiSystem, your official limit is one extension section bringing you to about 10' of tool length.

I bought that one extension a long time ago.

2 additional carbon fiber extensions later, i was leaning out of a fir to top a stone dead madrona.

As Cory said, you can reach a lot from the loader bucket.

Lots of people use HT131s or similar. Heavy. I've used it overhead out of a 60' bucket deadwooding fit limbs.

Echo has its own multi-attachment system... one powerhead instead of dedicated power heads.

Back