How'd it go today?

easing my way back into the working world.
Don't do it!!!!

In FL for last 4 days. Returning to reality...well, smh, I'm just not sure about it. I don't want to leave the spa known as FL beaches. The water is some of the best on earth. The sand is sublime. The walking and swimming and SUP'g is off the charts. I don't feel like leaving paradise.

I lost my apprentice.
His girlfriend got pregnant ( Can't someone please teach young people about condoms!!!!) and since they consider it a bad thing to have kids in the city ( I totally agree) they are moving back to the mainland ( Jylland)
Pisses me off, as he was really good, and we had offered to hire him after he graduated.

Well, now his problem is how to find another apprenticeship, so he can finish his education.
That is very close to impossible.

I solved that for him today.
He'll be living near the largest private forest district in the country.
The head forester happens to be a former apprentice of mine and good friend ( He was part of our latest trip to the big trees in California).
So when I called him and told the story, he right away agreed to take my apprentice on.

" When you say he is good, I know damned well, he isn't just "good"!"

Sometimes it seems like half the folks working in the woods here are my former apprentices :lol:

Got to go to the German place for lunch today. Got a big ass beer(Paulaner Salvator), currywurst, and kraut on the side. The rest of the day doesn't matter. If I get to go to the German place, it was a good day.

edit:
Oh, and we had snow showers today. Glorious! Fantastic for the end of April. 48° now, and I'm thinking of a fire. Can't beat that :^)

edit2:
I have an understanding with my girl cat. I eat at the computer, and when I'm finished, I put the dish next to the computer. She's welcome to lick the plate or whatever if she finds something interesting. I made a couple soft pretzels, and put some Mr Mustard(a brand of hot mustard) in a cup to dip it in. I finished, and put the cup on top of the computer. I wasn't paying attention, and heard her wheezing. I asked her what was wrong, and got the most pitiful cry I ever heard from her. Pretty sure she licked the mustard cup. She was a sad little kitty for a minute or two :^D Lucky for her, mustard and horseradish heat is pretty fleeting. She'd have been really sad if she got into my reaper sauce :^D

Last edited:
Either that is in the wrong thread or you really had a fine day.

It was an attempted joke about apprentices having kids, and their failed attempts at contraception, coming from someone who has 2 kids himself. But I've also had a wonderful day today too :)

Re-"view pruned" a fir and 3 cedars, and one easy small cedar climbing removal.

Underbid by some dummy.

Previously topped trees, especially if more than once, are a PITA.
No cleanup.
Customer, who is a little funny asked if "we" could just drag the brush to the driveway.
"Uh, we can add that, but we agreed you'd do all cleanup. "

Went to another annual or semiannual customer, fruit trees every winter.

Dumped some alders, one with a triple- hinge, and a small cedar.

Husband just had another small stroke, so I chopped them up into smaller, easier to manage pieces for them to finish processing, no cleanup.

Sold 5 easy fells on 70' firs for later this season.

An old Christmas tree farm grown up (too densely).

Today was my last burn day of the season. Not a lick of rain for a while now. Been working on this place trying to clean out a lot out 3 acres of layers of fallen crap.
First, 2015 and 2016 beetle kill. Dude hired a faller at 50.00 a tree to put them on the ground. So anything that could reach the house got laid down for him to clean up. He did some, but not all. More trees died. Had dead left standing and the storms hit. What did not fall down, broke and needed felling. And most the live ones he had snapped burying the previous layers of brush and logs. So knee to Chest deep in places. You can see some of the stumps in the pictures. Just down to a corner of the property that will just have to wait till next year. Then, he'll replant.
We actually got 5 millable logs out of this mess he had just wanted to burn. I need 2x4 dammit. 20210423_125923.jpg 20210423_125945.jpg 20210423_130013.jpg 20210423_130015.jpg 20210423_130018.jpg 20210423_130020.jpg 20210423_130056.jpg

Burn days! Oh yeah, reminds me of cutting and clearing right of way. Small hand-fed fires, for the most part, but you'd be surprised what a crew of 3 to 6 strong young men, when led properly, could produce. Big puffing smoke, roaring flames and clean burns for miles and miles. Over some of the most diverse terrain and extreme weather at times. Lots of hot lunches!

Did a bit of work on the house project. Carpenters have left now for a week, painters are coming in next week to finish the inside before laying the floor and final fittings. The decking was completed yesterday so we had a tidy today. Grubbed out a few tree stumps and chased the roots, back filled some of the are and tried to level it a bit. We use some of the stones to place next to the deck so wet earth isn’t on the wood. Next the garage will be rendered and electricity turned plus the doors in. I’ll be glad when this project is done tbh. 6258B712-DEB2-4957-A07C-FC5FE8E21FC2.jpeg 093B2D8A-B184-407D-851D-30C644FEF79E.jpeg 18CD4D92-C27F-493E-80F2-268A1593B052.jpeg C5BF2F2C-E568-476F-BC15-12D02C59495C.jpeg 8349A947-05AB-49A1-B535-622E7C860444.jpeg

Thanks, that’s the new bit above the garage, obviously. We also knocked the wall through the house to create a walkway and entrance to the new rooms.

That’s the bit needs finishing then a bit more renovation inside and removal of a wall, that at the moment is keeping the dust from the rest of the gaff.

DA103457-E4CD-4C3C-B74B-904DEC0ABEB6.jpeg 066C55B9-DDB4-491B-93B5-60D8860753C2.jpeg

Back