How'd it go today?

Started the day with the local park maintenance supervisor- hiked the trails and ID’d the trees he wants dealt with. Screwy guy; a totally book-learned Certified Arborist; kept pointing out the red oaks and calling them Q. velutina. He basically said, “If it is more than 25 feet from the middle of the trail leave it; I don’t have the budget”. I repeatedly pointed out that an 80 foot tree 25 ft away could still crush a hiker in his wooded park. He won’t be there, so I’ll just go ahead and deal with the worst ones. He’ll send Bob, one of his employees to haul equipment for me. Bob is a knowledgeable certified arborist which is cool.

Then I went and figured out why one of my octogenarian patient’s garbage disposals wasn’t working and fixed it.

Then I took down a thirty foot, very dead pine. Took longer to rake up the gazillion little dry pieces than to fell it. Then a last minute prune of an apple tree. Mainly just removing the secondary upright growth and a few crossing branches and opened the middle to keep it light and airy, then off to the green waste site to dump the load.

Ran home to unload tools, then headed down to help my friend continue to organize his wood shop. He gave me a load of nice cutoffs (walnut, oak, spalted and Ambrosia maple) - enough to half fill my truck bed. I’ll take it to Charlot, my sister-in-law who makes cutting boards and other small items. Her charity is called “Wood for Water” and she ‘sells’ the items she makes in trade for donations toward digging wells for communities without water.

https://woodforwater.org/

After dinner I had the last piece of my birthday cake. That’ll be it for cake till next birthday.

Is it me, or does that thing look kinda weird? Sycamores typically get more spready than tall when by themselves. Looks like that had pretty long leaders.

I see the loader scooping both wood and brush, did you dump it all in a container?

went climbing in Linville gorge today. Much needed escape. Got my ass kicked as usual, but I'll sleep well. Straight and Narrow with Paradise Alley to finish the whipping. My feet be hurting

Nice!

Top roping or lead climbing?

You do any gym climbing?

Lead. All trad.......steep and in your face. Great exposure......and of course an NC sandbag rating. I have been going to a newer gym here with my son and daughter. Good training for strength but it does nothing for your lead head when running it out above gear placements. Its nice never clipping a bolt. Rack was heavy though. Linked pitches that require extra gear. Been rolling with an 80 Meter rope lately..........LOOOOOONg pitches!

little smokey today....prescribed burn at lake James Big Island. Also a second fire a little further away. Dry as shit, surprised they did it, but I guess since its surrounded by a lake, most like safe. Screwed our air quality a bit though.

1615342028666.png

Last edited:
@cory the knuckleheads chipped it all. I was sent to assist the removal. They decided to wait till I had it almost down to chip. Wasn’t to happy with them
@No_Bivy yes they did. One was actually supported by the tree. Dropped almost three feet when I cut it loose

I worked on a removal a couple weeks ago where they pinned a cable wire to the tree we were removing. Had to disconnect it from the house and leave it on the other side of the road by the pole because it would hang too low after the tree is gone.

That’s odd , here in NY they bury the cable lines ... guess they do things differently in Tennessee 😂

Nothing special today. Shoulder's been sore for awhile now; at least two weeks, but I'm not sure. It doesn't get any better or worse. Using my arm doesn't affect it one way or the other, and it doesn't hurt more or less; it just hurts. Not sure what's up with that :^/

Sounds intense.

I'm lucky, there's a gym 10 minutes away, I go there 2-3x/ week with son, lotta fun.

Went to the Gunks last fall, top roping was a hoot!
gonna hit Gunks at some point. A lot like Shortoff I hear. Family time cranking is worthy

@cory the knuckleheads chipped it all. I was sent to assist the removal. They decided to wait till I had it almost down to chip. Wasn’t to happy with them
@No_Bivy yes they did. One was actually supported by the tree. Dropped almost three feet when I cut it loose
nice,,,,,they would never do that here for me. Not sure if they have changed it now. Always seemed like BS

I started the new chemo treatment today.
That is some interesting stuff.
Not a "traditional" chemo, which is basically a "Kill them all, let god sort them out" treatment, but a stuff that blocks a signal molecule on the surface of the cancer cells called BCL-2.
By blocking that it hinders the cells ability to grow and divide.
Spacy stuff.
Only thing is, it sometimes works too well, so too many dead cells in the bloodstream go toxic and kill the patient.
My doc told me that when they first started using it, they lost a bunch before they learned to start up slow.
So I am on a very small dosis for a week, then blood test and up the dosis if all is well.
It takes 5 weeks to reach max, with weekly blood tests, then I get to eat the pills for up to 2 years, until everything is cleaned up.

The pills are crazy expensive, one weeks supply cost close to 10 grand.
So they are only allowed to use this treatment when traditional chemo has failed, which it did quite spectacularly with me.
The full treatment runs up to about 1 million $, good thing I've always been a faithful taxpayer.

I'm pretty excited about this, they have really good results with it.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed Stig.

I’m skiving today, finished up early on some other jobs and nothing booked today, and it’s raining and I’m lazy.

Better put the iPad down and get on with something.

Good luck Stig.

I am having day off today. Dropped about 30+ cm of snow overnight and forecast for all day. Some places have a bit more.

No point in battling the elements, sometimes it is just futile.

I have to get out later today to take my truck to the garage to get the heated seat fixed on warranty, I will also swing by tomorrows job. It is a bit in the sticks so depending on the snow they have had, might be postponed till next week.

Back